1980s Movie The Island Of Adventure

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

1980s Movie The Island Of Adventure

Post by poddys »

Someone left a comment on my Enid Blyton page as they are looking for a copy of this movie.
I did a quick Amazon search without success, but thought that the experts here might have more information that might help them.

I would love some help! I have tried desperately to find a copy of the movie Island of adventure. It was made in the UK and screened around 1983. It holds some dear memories for me. Actor Norman Bowler appeared in the movie made in Cornwall. If anyone knows where to find a copy, I would be over the moon! You can mail me on jonahsark at googlemail dot com
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Moonraker

Re: 1980s Movie The Island Of Adventure

Post by Moonraker »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Zealand-I ... 3374cd5c04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I think your link is for the 1990s version that was filmed in NZ with the storyline somewhat butchered, Nigel.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I don't think this is the right video, with the name New Zealand in front of it this surely implies it was the film shot in New Zealand - if so he has got the issue date wrong. The English version is a very scarce and sort after video and I haven't seen it sell for under £30 on ebay - I certainly had to pay that when I bought a copy to show on the EB Day about 4 or 5 years ago.
Tony Summerfield

Just adding to this I have just checked the New Zealand version and it has a 1996 date on it. There are two different videos of the English version as unusually it was also issued in America, I seem to remember adding a scan of the American version to the forums at some stage.
poddys

Post by poddys »

Thanks everyone, it's great to have such a wealth of knowledge here.

I found copies on Amazon, but just used VHS ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Treasur ... B000X86G9S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be nice if they could bring this out on DVD, especially as it has John Rhys Davies and Wilfred Brambell in it. Come to think of it, it rings a bell - I might have seen this many moons ago.
Tony Summerfield

That's the American one, Tony. I have just got the English one off the shelf and will scan it soon. There might be problems trying to play that one in an English video player.

I already had it scanned! :lol:
poddys

Post by poddys »

Most newer VCR's over here will play American NTSC tapes fine, in fact because our tv signal (before HD of course) used to have more lines on the screen than in the USA, their tapes actually looked better on our tv's.

I never had any trouble in the past.

When I moved to the USA in 1994 I would have loved it if the reverse was true, since none of my PAL tapes could be used over there. The only VHS machines that would play PAL tapes were hard to find and cost about $600 (£400) which is ridiculous.

Fortunately my DVD player (a cheap Phillips one) plays DVD's from any region.

If you scan the tape Tony, you probably can't make copies I guess, since it's copyright?

If might be nice if they made this available, especially as it has a great cast as well.
Tony Summerfield

I have my own copy on DVD as we needed that for the EB Day, but I wouldn't want to 'pirate' further copies.

I tried to get Perry Benson, who played Jack, to come and speak at an EB Day. He thought about it, but sadly declined. He was in the TV series You Rang M'Lord? and also in Oh Doctor Beeching!
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I notice that Aunt Polly ia played by a lady called Eleanor Summerfield. Any relation Tony? :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Tony Summerfield

Auntie Eleanor! No, I'm afraid not.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It was pretty dreadful, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. It's much better to stick with the books. Enid was an authoress, any tv adaptation is someone else's interpretation of the story. :|
Society Member