The Faraway Tree Trilogy - WANTED

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
gazzagoogle1966

The Faraway Tree Trilogy - WANTED

Post by gazzagoogle1966 »

I would love a copy of the Trilogy of books that I remember reading as a Child, im only 46 but can still remember the tales vividly...

The Enchanted Wood
The Magic Faraway Tree
The Folk of the Faraway Tree

1st editions would be lovely, however im not holding out my last pieces of silver

All need to be in excellent condition as they will be displayed on my bookcase, Preferably hardback aswell...

This will eventually lead the way to start collecting all her Childrens books

Many thanks for taking the time to read and welcoming me to you Society.

Garry
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Re: The Faraway Tree Trilogy - WANTED

Post by 7upromana01 »

You can but these books in most famous book shops, gazzaagoogle1966. So get yourself down to a book shop and buy the bunch. But if you're meaning a old copy of one, why don't you go to ebay.co.uk so you can have a search for an old copy. They are, of course, second-hand so don't expect any newly copied ones.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

First editions of those titles are generally quite expensive (even without their dustjackets I've seen early editions go for around £50-£100 normally). As 7up says, the best thing to do is get yourself on eBay as there's always copies of them in one format or another.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
gazzagoogle1966

Post by gazzagoogle1966 »

Thanks 7up and Fiona for your quick responses - will have a look as we speak lol

Will keep you informed

Thanks again

Garry x
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Have a look at all the choices that you have by clicking on the Faraway Tree button on our Home Page, Garry, as this would be an easier way of picking out which edition you prefer.
rigr

Post by rigr »

I am a newbie and am looking for the trilogy for the daughter of a friend. I thought this would be easy however it seems there are many variations in editions, publishers and illustrators. In addition I understand the text was 'modernised' at some point, or maybe 'sanitised' is a better description. I'm not looking for the earliest editions (very expensive) but I want a set with original text. Can anyone tell me when the text changed and/or if particular publishers stayed with the original text.
All advice will be gratefully received.

Rigr
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

If you want the original text you're usually safe with anything pre 1970 though there are sometimes small changes before then (eg king changed to queen).

I think it was Newnes that published the Faraway Tree books so any impression/edition by them through the 30s-50s should be fine. If you check the cave of books from the homepage of this site you can find the series and it will show you all the editions that exist with dates and publisher, most even have photos. I'm on my phone right now but I can have a look in the cave later to provide you more specific details.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Here's their details in the cave

As you will see any copies published in the 30s, 40s and 50s will be the first edition, somethingth impression - most likely with the original text. The first new editions are the 1970s Deans illustrated by Rene Cloke.

I know later editions have Joe, Beth and Frannie which is quite a big change though I'm not sure exactly when that change occurred.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

If you can live with decimalization, the 70's editions were in print by Deans up to at least 1989 as one of the trilogy I have is an 80's one (the others being early 70's) and those keep original names as well being relatively inexpensive.
rigr

Post by rigr »

Thanks everyone for very fast replies and good advice. Inow know to search for pre-1970 and Newnes as publisher.

Rigr
Spendid

Post by Spendid »

Fiona1986 wrote:First editions of those titles are generally quite expensive (even without their dustjackets I've seen early editions go for around £50-£100 normally). As 7up says, the best thing to do is get yourself on eBay as there's always copies of them in one format or another.
Only £50-£100 for a first edition? I thought they'd be a lot more than that.
Here's my thoughts on the 3 Week Diet.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well, I did say that three years ago and things do change. The price of a first edition varies enormously from series to series, affected by condition as well, and of course, it's entirely dependent on a)how much value the seller thinks it has and the price they therefore list it at, and b) how much value the buyer puts on it and how much they are then willing to pay.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member