Does anyone own a copy of 'Up the Faraway Tree?'

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
NataliaSavannah

Does anyone own a copy of 'Up the Faraway Tree?'

Post by NataliaSavannah »

Hey everyone,

I am doing an assignment at uni that requires us to choose a book series and design the book covers and first few pages of 4 books. I have decided to choose Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series. The problem I'm having is, I didn't realise that the final book in the series 'Up the Faraway Tree' was so rare! I was wondering pretty please, if anyone owns a copy of this book, would anyone be willing to scan the first approximately 5 or 6 pages for me? I just need to have the first few pages of text to type it up and recreate for my assignment. I can't find a copy of this book in any library, and its even slim pickings for purchasing online.

I would be so so so grateful if one kind person could help me out with this!

Natalia :)
Tony Summerfield

Re: Does anyone own a copy of 'Up the Faraway Tree?'

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hello Natalia, You possibly didn't realise it, but Up the Faraway Tree is not really part of the Faraway Tree Series. It is a picture strip book, not a novel, and simply has two picture strips on each page with a written caption of three or four lines underneath each picture.

You can see this more clearly on our Faraway Tree page on our website.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/faraway-tree.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NataliaSavannah

Hi Tony,

Yes thank you I have read all the wonderful information on this website, but for the purposes of this assignment I am just going to say that it is part, because I must have 4 books in the series and I really don't want to give the Faraway tree away because it's my favourite Enid series!

Thank you so much for your help though
NataliaSavannah

Oh I just realised what you meant, is there any regular body text in the first few pages of Up the Faraway Tree? Silly me I just realised that if there isn't it won't be much use!
Tony Summerfield

I think you are going to be disappointed, the text under the pictures is actually less than I thought, mostly one and a half lines and it simply describes what one can see in the picture. There is really no 'body' of text at all.

You might do better with the short story from Enid Blyton's Omnibus as that is a proper story with proper text.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Here are the first two pages of the story, Natalia:

Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Moonraker, that format looks like the one used in the Josie, Click and Bun series of 'graphic novels'. I wonder if both series have been illustrated by the same person.
Last edited by Fatty on 16 Apr 2012, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
NataliaSavannah

Hmmm yes I see, in order for it to work for what I need to do I would have to hand illustrate those pictures, I'm not so sure I'm cut out for that much extra work! I will have to choose another series I suppose :( The series seem to mainly only contain 3 books each, only one short, dash!

Thank you so much everyone for your speedy help!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

If you need 4 books does that have to be the complete series? If not, the Barney Mysteries might be a good choice as it was intended to end at book 4, but due to the clamour of her readers, 2 more books were written about the same characters.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If you need a 4-book series, how about The Naughtiest Girl?
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

This isn't really any different from the Faraway Tree Series as that fourth book is simply the short story from Enid Blyton's Omnibus. The difference is that Hodder released this one as a book (slim and overpriced!) and Egmont just stuck to the three books.

Just putting my statement above into perspective, when Here's the Naughtiest Girl was first published all four books were the same price, £3.99. The first three books all had over 200 pages, but the slim fourth book had just 68 pages and even that was because it had more illustrations than the other three.
NataliaSavannah

Hey guys,

Which would you say would be Enid Blyton's top 5 most popular books? By recent time's standards, not when they were first released? I am thinking of doing a collection of 4 of her most popular books
Tony Summerfield

The easy answer to this is to just use Amazon which lists books in order of popularity.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I never knew that. What a wonderful website this is! :D
Society Member
NataliaSavannah

Great thank you guys so much for all your help! Couldn't have figured it out without you :)