Famous Five 1978 TV Series Items

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

See, I said Items in my title as I can't spell memerobila and haven't the energy to open Word so I can check it - just how lazy is that?!? (In my defense my computer is runing low on coal and the hamsters have gone on strike so opening another window might well give me the big freeze or the dreaded blue screen <plays psycho music>

Anyway, now you all know I can't spell I'd better tell you what items I'm looking for. I'm a huge fan of the '78 series and collect anything relating to it. I've got.....

<deep breath>

All the paperbacks with photos, 3 boxed sets of 5, with different covers (are there any more?)
All the paperbacks with drawn covers of the 78 series (produced in the 80's?)
All the hardback annuals (9), red spines 1- 6 and the 3 larger volumes, black spined larger volume, All A4.
The 2 A5 size WHSmith volumes with photos of the 5 on the front.
The german A5 book with colour photos in the centre,
All the game books with dice.
All the magazines relating to the 78 series, 16 in total.
The viewmaster discs of 5 go off to camp
The colouring book with a photo of the 5 on the front
The complete German panini sticker album and spare packets of stickers
The german round sticker
<turning slightly purple in the face>
The german F5 card game (bit like minesweepers on the back?)
The 45rpm record of the theme tune and a fantastic B side, together again.
All the '78 rpm records with the photo's of the 5 on the front
2 Boxed audio cassettes (one in a plastic case, the other in a card sleve)
All the videos and them in french also.
The 78 famous five card game
<seriously running out of air>
All the jigsaws of photos of the 5
All the 1978 badges, 8 in total.
<Getting to the bits in my collection that excite me - whether to admit that on the net is a little worrying but we'll roll with it for now>
The Los Cinco Cube puzzle
The 1978 Kirrin Island Treasure Quest Board game
A number of black and white stills, press photographs of the series, some with original Southern Television memos on the back
Six original shooting scripts, as used by the cast.
<collapses on the floor through lack of oxygen, makes mental note to punctuate next time>

Anyway, for those of you who've not run off labelling me a complete nutter, here's my question...

Although I've probably missed out a fair chunk of my collection (I've the cerebral capacity of a small minnow) I'd love to hear from anyone who has anything I've not mentioned, or even if you think I may have it drop me a line anyway :)

I know I'm missing the packlunch box, there are many still photos I've not got and I'm keen to obtain more scripts. I'm aware of there being a spanish board game and am also keen to get that.

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks for reading

Possibly the biggest 1978 and general Famous five fan
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five 1978 TV Series Items

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Whew - that's some collection!

Thought you might like to know about Girl Annual 1988, if you don't have it already. It contains a photo story called "Watching the Detectives," about a girl and boy who are mad on Enid Blyton, and who attempt to solve a mystery. Several Famous Five books feature in the story, though the comments about them are inaccurate, eg. after reading Five Go Off in a Caravan the girl says: "So it was the lorry driver," and she later says that she got an idea about checking hotel car parks from Five Go Adventuring Again! The Secret Seven are mentioned too, as well as some made up Enid Blyton titles - Mystery of the Waxworks, Mystery at Colley's Farm and Mystery at the School Play. What may interest you is that there's a full-page photo, plus a couple of smaller photos, of the girl reading a 1970s TV cover paperback of Five Go Off in a Caravan. 1970s Secret Seven paperbacks are also visible, and a boxed set of the Secret series.

Another item that may be of interest is the 1988 The Famous Five Diary compiled by Mary Danby (a Knight paperback). It doesn't really have any connection with the 1978 TV series, but it's an interesting read as there is a lot of information on camping, special days and festivals, games, nature, cycling, first aid, recipes, crafts, etc. Most of these things are related in some way to the Famous Five, eg you can make Uncle Quentin's barometer, Aunt Fanny's pot-pourri or Mrs. Sanders' farmhouse soup. August 11th (Enid Blyton's birthday) has a biography of Enid Blyton, though I'm a bit confused that it says: "Her last book, published in 1968, was called Once Upon a Time." I found my copy of The Famous Five Diary in a charity shop last year - I'd never heard of it before.

Sorry but neither of these items is for sale, but I thought I'd mention them in case you want to look out for them (unless you've got them already, of course!)

Anita
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Another item that may be of interest is the 1988 The Famous Five Diary compiled by Mary Danby (a Knight paperback). It doesn't really have any connection with the 1978 TV series, but it's an interesting read as there is a lot of information on camping, special days and festivals, games, nature, cycling, first aid, recipes, crafts, etc. Most of these things are related in some way to the Famous Five, eg you can make Uncle Quentin's barometer, Aunt Fanny's pot-pourri or Mrs. Sanders' farmhouse soup. August 11th (Enid Blyton's birthday) has a biography of Enid Blyton, though I'm a bit confused that it says: "Her last book, published in 1968, was called Once Upon a Time." I found my copy of The Famous Five Diary in a charity shop last year - I'd never heard of it before.

Anita
Thanks Anita; I've found a copy on Amazon for 1p + p&p! Looking forward to reading it!
Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Many thanks Anita - I've had another rummage and have the diary, also found a rather gopping yellow wallet and a F5 Faxfile type thing, along with a limitied edition first edition of the Famous five Adventure book...

I'll look out for the Girl Annual

Thanks again
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Just wondering whether or not you subscribe to the Enid Blyton Society Journal. Issues 5 - 8 contained a long article by Gary Russell, talking about the filming of the 1970s Famous Five TV series. If you don't have them, it's possible that they may be available as back issues. Contact Tony (see home page of website) for details.

Anita
misteriojuvenil
Favourite book/series: Five find outers
Favourite character: Fat

Post by misteriojuvenil »

In the 80s it was edited in Portugal a board game inspired by the Famous Five tv series of 1970's .
Five in the mysterious castle

More informations in:
http://www.misteriojuvenil.com/Colec_jogos_cincoCL.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That looks great! Thanks for providing scans. I like the photos of the Five on the board and the cards.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

misteriojuvenil wrote:In the 80s it was edited in Portugal a board game inspired by the Famous Five tv series of 1970's .
Five in the mysterious castle
What beautiful sharp scans, wonderful. At the Blyton Day I observed a number of items of 1970's series memorabilia, but they were way overpriced.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote: Another item that may be of interest is the 1988 The Famous Five Diary compiled by Mary Danby (a Knight paperback). It doesn't really have any connection with the 1978 TV series, but it's an interesting read as there is a lot of information on camping, special days and festivals, games, nature, cycling, first aid, recipes, crafts, etc. Most of these things are related in some way to the Famous Five, eg you can make Uncle Quentin's barometer, Aunt Fanny's pot-pourri or Mrs. Sanders' farmhouse soup. August 11th (Enid Blyton's birthday) has a biography of Enid Blyton, though I'm a bit confused that it says: "Her last book, published in 1968, was called Once Upon a Time." I found my copy of The Famous Five Diary in a charity shop last year - I'd never heard of it before.

Anita

Thanks Anita; I've found a copy on Amazon for 1p + p&p! Looking forward to reading it!
Surprisingly, I've only just read this post, Anita and Nigel! I'd not heard of the item either. Thank you for the info. I've just ordered a copy from Amazon - also for 1p + p&p. :D :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Do you know, Eddie, I have no recollection of that at all? I don't even know if I ever received it? I see I posted this in 2005, so it's quite possible I have had it and forgotten all about it. I will have a search up in my shelves later!
Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Is this somethign you would be interested in, George@Kirrin?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ENID-BLYTON-AUDI ... 7C294%3A50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

The Board game is a revelation if only FF was made into a computer game for the Nintendo generation.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Actually, in the last years of the last millenium at least 5 Famous FIve and 2 St Clare's PC-games appeared on the market. If you wish you can get them on ebay, the price usually is reasonable. You are able to play on them on Windows-XP computers.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

Checking EBay now, you guys are fountains of knowledge.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

I only know the German name of the games, but they're bilingual.

- Fünf Freunde auf Schatzsuche
- Fünf Freunde: Das Geheimnis um den silbernen Turm
- Fünf Freunde auf Entführerjagd
- Fünf Freunde: Gefährliche Entdeckung
- Fünf Freunde: Geheime Mission M.A.G. - X

- Was ist los bei Hanni und Nanni
- Hanni und Nanni: Pony in Not
- Hanni und Nanni retten die Pferde

Publisher was Ravensburger
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.