Bumping "dead" threads.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
TheOriginalFive
Favourite book/series: Mr. Meddle/St. Clare's/Faraway Tree

Bumping "dead" threads.

Post by TheOriginalFive »

There are a number of threads in this society that sparked my interest, especially the ones that discuss characters. One problem, these threads haven't been posted in for years.

What is the Society's view on a new member posting in a dead thread? Other forums I frequent don't encourage this, and will lock/delete dead threads regardless of content.
Avatar model: Prudence "Norimi" Arnold.
I have a bad habit of hijacking character ideas I like.
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Re: Bumping "dead" threads.

Post by walter raleigh »

I think I can speak for most people here in saying it's fine to resurrect old threads, TheOriginalFIve. As has been shown in the past it can often provoke new debate and information. Besides most of us here are so senile we probably won't even notice they're years old, and just treat them as new ones anyway. :roll:
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I think it's fine too - just so long as the person resurrecting the thread is aware that it's an old one and that the people who started the conversation may no longer be around or active. I've been on other forums where some well-meaning newcomer has posted on an old thread and addressed the original poster(s) personally without realising that they haven't been heard from in years! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

There has never been a problem with resurrecting old threads. I think we actually prefer it to starting multiple new threads on the same topic.

If the mods have any objections they will soon let you know. Very nicely of course. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree with what people have said above - it's actually nice to see old threads getting an airing if someone has something to add to the discussion.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Definitely. It is also very true what Walter said - I forget posts from a week or so back!
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I entirely agree with the idea that, if you have something to add to a topic an old thread exists about, you should be free to resurrect it.
     I have often wondered why this is disapproved of in some places - never understood it. As a matter of curiosity, does anyone know what the reasoning is behind this stance, and might there be good reasons for such a policy?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I can only think that it might be if the subject was a bit contentious and participants became rather heated in their posts. As new people join the forum here it is nice if they find a subject they are interested in and wish to make further comments or ask more questions.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

That certainly can happen, but I think it's an unrelated issue to that of reviving old threads. Such contention can just as easily happen on recently-started threads as on old ones brought to life again; and also, many, many additions to old threads are simply new thoughts on the topic, and not contentious at all.
     So if discouraging the revival of old threads is a measure to try to stop argument, it's a very poorly-targeted remedy for that.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Come to think of it such threads are usually locked so it isn't possible to open the subject up again... old threads are usually just forgotten and there is no reason why they should not be revived. It is odd that in some places that is not possible.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

TheOriginalFive wrote:There are a number of threads in this society that sparked my interest, especially the ones that discuss characters. One problem, these threads haven't been posted in for years.

What is the Society's view on a new member posting in a dead thread? Other forums I frequent don't encourage this, and will lock/delete dead threads regardless of content.
I did it several times since I joined and am always excited when I discover a "new" old thread that I've never seen before (especially if it's about the FF, Adventure series, Adventurous Four or R series).
However, I don't know how to find these old threads. I found a few by chance, but am sure there must be a lot more. Wish there would be a chronological way of looking them ALL up.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Chrissie, if you start on the home page of the forums http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/forums/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and choose any of the various forums from there, you can see the list of all the threads in that forum in chronological order from when they were last posted on. You can scroll down through them and go right back to the earliest threads in that category. That's a fun way to browse and just see if there are any topics that interest you. There's also the search function (on every forum page) if you want to look up threads on a certain topic - that will also bring up older ones as well as currently active ones.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay, you mean I can go 10 years back to the very first threads? That would be awesome!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
MJE

Post by MJE »

Chrissie777 wrote:Courtenay, you mean I can go 10 years back to the very first threads? That would be awesome!
     Yes, you can do that. You will find far more than you will ever get the time to read.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Chrissie777 wrote:Courtenay, you mean I can go 10 years back to the very first threads? That would be awesome!
Yep. 8) It's all there! Here, for example, is page 5 - the furthest back - of The Author forum: http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... &start=200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(You can see the numbers 1 to 5 across the top of the list - click them to go to each page of thread titles in chronological order. Page 1 is always the most recent.)
Society Member