A Question about PMs...

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
pwl

Re: A Question about PMs...

Post by pwl »

Fiona1986 wrote:Please just call me Fiona. Ms makes me feel ridiculous... but if you insist on a title miss would do.
Miss it shall jolly well be then, Miss Fiona1986
:twisted:
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Now please don't go about calling me Miss! I'm only 10 and have never been called with a title before!!
You can call me Sunskriti!
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

Most call me 'Miss' :oops: It's fine with me if we need a title.
pwl

Post by pwl »

Darrell71 wrote:Now please don't go about calling me Miss! I'm only 10 and have never been called with a title before!!
Understood Darrell and at 10 you clearly seem to know your own mind and that is not a bad thing - although when I was 10 I was always addressed as Master PWL - a strange name I know but my parents were busy at the time. They worked out the initials alright but something came up and they decided to fill in the blanks later - unfortunately there wasn't time and so they sent me to boarding school instead and left all that nonsense to the school and thank God they did!
pwl

Post by pwl »

joanne_chan wrote:Most call me 'Miss' :oops: It's fine with me if we need a title.
Well in my part of the world politeness is of extreme importance and if, (as I believe), you are in anyway aligned to the Asian culture it is not a surprise to me to hear you are usually referred to as Miss - I have an 11 month old in my home and although she isn't talking clearly yet, when I speak to her I often call her Miss......... and she replies and says "Ba" - although I must admit, I haven't quite worked out what "Ba" means yet.

Nearly everyone here uses formal titles when addressing each other.

Even the Ms. Woman who insists on telling me I am married to refers to me as, "I thought you said you were only going out for one beer at 5 p.m; it is now 3 o'clock in the morning Mr. PWL"

An odd title I know, but like I said, we do tend to stick to the rules here - take this morning for example (3 o'clock in the morning), I arrived home and started walking up the stairs and I heard the Ms.Woman (the one who insists I am married to) shout, "stop making so much noise, what are you doing Mr. PWL?"

Replying sweetly I told her, "I'm trying to get a barrel of beer upstairs Ms. dear one" and she shouted back "just leave it downstairs and come to bed Mr. PWL."

Of course I told her that would be totally impossible and she asked me why that was and I replied, "how can I possibly leave it downstairs AND come to bed Ms. Giving me an Earache?"

She of course expressed some incredulity at my logic, but modesty and a concern for your tender years forbids me from repeating what she replied (Ladies can be quite rude sometimes you know), lets just say that she said "just do as you're told Mr. PWL" - adults can be so annoying most of the time can't they?

"Ms. Woman" I said using her very formal title, "if I was able to perform that miracle they would give me a Nobel Prize for Physics for solving the space-time-continuum problem and inevitably a patent for actually inventing a real working Tesseract."

She screamed at me this time, "what in blue blazes are you talking about Mr. PWL?"

And this time I screamed back (well since she had opened the bidding on screaming I realised it was permissible for a gentleman to follow the Lady), "I'm coming upstairs and bringing the barrel of beer with me Ms. Madam because I have already drunk the barrel of beer."

And Miss Chan, that was an end to that.

I must say though, I would have much rather preferred to have received that Nobel Prize for Physics instead and it would be far better to receive one of those than the "off the shelf" Nobel Prizes they give away for Economics to all and sundry!!
:twisted:
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

What is the effect if my inbox has reached the limit of 50 posts and someone tried to send a PM to me? Do I receive a notice that someone PMed me, but I'm only able to read it if I delete at least one of my older PMs in the inbox? Or do I get no notification at all, until I deleted one PM?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm sure you'll get notification, Woofgang, but you won't be able to read it until you delete some of your old PM's. I clear mine out all the time, and just delete the ones in my inbox and the PM's I've already sent. I don't keep them.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You know when a PM is waiting as it shows against User Control Panel. Once you go in to read it you can see if your folder is full as it tells you how much room there is and if full, won't let you open it until you make room. I usually keep mine until I suddenly find I can't open a new one, then realize I need to do a bit of emptying of the accumulated ones - a maximum of 50 can be stored.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

If anyone contacts me by P.M. (which is very rare - I have never reached the limit so far), I always urge them to do further contacts by e-mail, and give them my e-mail address - precisely for this reason.
     I wonder why such a low limit is imposed, actually. By today's standards, when graphic images, video, and the like are taken for granted as normal, text is trivially tiny to store, and shouldn't be a problem to either store or manage. 50 average text messages, for instance, might take no more storage space than the thumbnail image one uses for one's avatar, and might well take up far less space.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

That's fine as long as you don't mind giving your email address to whoever has PMed you.

Society Member
MJE

Titles of relatives.

Post by MJE »

joanne_chan wrote:Most call me 'Miss' :oops: It's fine with me if we need a title.
     I'm not keen on titles either. I feel uncomfortable if people ever call me Mr. Edwards - makes me feel crusty and old and stale - and, if it seems the relationship will continue, I get them to just use my first name. My nephews and niece just call me "Michael", and I had them do that even from early childhood onwards.
     Traditionalists (and I am one of those in some respects) often say it shows lack of respect to use a person's first name without any title, especially between different generations; but I have never understood why that should be so, and can only assume people think it's so just because that's the conventional idea. But I cannot see the slightest self-evident reason why simply using someone's name is in any way a sign of disrespect.
     I will be a great-uncle in a couple of months, although the baby will live in Vanuatu, quite some distance away; but if I have any interactions with the child, I will encourage the use of just "Michael" right from the start. And some of the other relatives are already starting to discuss whether so-and-so will be "Nan", "Nanny", "Gran", "Grandma" - and so on. Apparently the grandfather-to-be (my brother) has decided he will be known as "Da", following a Welsh tradition my own father used with his grandchildren.
     I never knew until recently it was so complicated working out who would be called what when a new generation starts. (And this will be the first baby of a whole new generation.) Simple when I was a kid: the grandmother would be Granny and the grandfather Grandpa.

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 23 Aug 2015, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Daisy wrote:That's fine as long as you don't mind giving your email address to whoever has PMed you.
     If I distrusted someone enough on this forum that I didn't want to do that, I would probably not be all that interested in continuing to exchange messages via P.M. either. Fortunately, I have not so far had contact with anyone on this forum I feel that distrusting about.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

MJE wrote:
Daisy wrote:That's fine as long as you don't mind giving your email address to whoever has PMed you.
If I distrusted someone enough on this forum that I didn't want to do that, I would probably not be all that interested in continuing to exchange messages via P.M. either. Fortunately, I have not so far had contact with anyone on this forum I feel that distrusting about.
I guess we aren't likely to.... it was just a casual observation.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

If you don't want to delete PMs you can just make a new folder and move them to that. I've got folders for everyone I've had chatters with, so when someone sends me a PM I just move it (and my reply) to the folder for that person, so my actual inbox stays empty and I don't have to delete anything, and its neater because all my chatters with each person are all in one place and easier to read as a conversation without other PMs inbetween.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Carlotta King wrote:If you don't want to delete PMs you can just make a new folder and move them to that.
     Oh - so there is no *absolute* limit - just a limit on the "Inbox" where things first arrive? Even if the new ones have limits, you can still go beyond that by creating another new area?
     Must admit I've never really thought about that, nor explored it. However, I very rarely neither receive nor send private messages.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member