Forum Journal / Mag

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Re: Forum Journal / Mag

Post by Francis »

Well done Fiona, your Famous Five book summaries are marvellous and involving
and make me want to read them yet again. As said before your bits I liked section is
inspired - I found that they were the same bits that I liked.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks Francis :)
Francis wrote:your Famous Five book summaries make me want to read them yet again.
Funny you should say that - I've had to get a few of the books down to double-check the odd detail and have had trouble putting them down again!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Fiona1986 wrote:I just hope Tony doesn't mind us using all his images! I have put where they're from in every blog post.
I am used to it Fiona. If you stick 'Blyton Famous Five' into Google and click on 'images', nothing from the Cave comes up in the first 19 pages (I didn't go beyond that). Yet the very first image taken off Wikipedia comes straight out of the Cave! I have often read comments about all the wonderful illustrations on enidblyton.net from people who have never even visited our site and you don't get a prize for guessing where all those illustrations came from. :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's one of the worrying things I think about the web, you can take whatever you like from any web site and it doesn't seem to be illegal. I mean, just look what Rossen did, and no one would have been the wiser if someone hadn't mentioned it on this site! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I now read a personal blog that was posted here a little while ago by Pete, by a Scottish woman who writes mostly about fashion, but had mentioned the Famous Five a few times.

Well, her name is Amber, and she jokes she is the most copied woman on the internet. People have been copying large chunks of her blog and posting them on their own blogs claiming the work is theirs. People have used her name/image on social networking and on blogs. People have used images of her wearing an item to sell the same item on eBay, someone tried to steal her business blog name (Shoeperwoman) and tried to copyright it and prevent her from using it... another copied the name of her husband's web-design business (Hot Igloo Productions) and used a very similar logo for their web-design business, the list is endless.

She calls it "doing a McNaughty" as her name is McNaughton.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm being incredibly careful to assign credit to any images I use, and for stock images I purposely only choose ones that are free-to-use - either daily/weekly freebies from paid image sites or from personal sites that say it's OK to use their images for non-profit sites.

I would also ask permission to use anything written by anyone else (opinions in a forum post, for example).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I'm going into the page behind us, but keep up the good work and awesome it is too! The blog rocks! And in a short space of time too! Good work Fiona and Stef!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I have often read comments about all the wonderful illustrations on enidblyton.net from people who have never even visited our site and you don't get a prize for guessing where all those illustrations came from. :lol:
Not all, as I scanned some for Keith to put up! :P
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It is the book covers that I was referring to, I realise that the internal scans are yours.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Then I hope Nigel doesn't mind us using his illustrations either :lol:

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:it might be a place to do something I've been thinking about for a while, where I compare the same episode from both series of the Famous Five to find the differentiations from the original story.
Sounds like a good idea but not sure why it'd have to be a blog? I mean that would fit on the forums fine and be more, er, discussable too. What's the difference between a short article on a subject and a long forum post?

TBH, if I want to talk/read about Blyton I come to the forums and of course I get the journal. I'd obviously read anything you wrote, Stef, but I can't see myself navigating to another site to read the same sort of stuff by any forumite that could just as easily be said here.
Interesting, eh? What made you change your mind, Fiona? And no, I don't mind you using any of my material! :D
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote: Interesting, eh? What made you change your mind, Fiona?
Me I believe.

Plus she didn't like the idea of me doing the beta reading! :wink:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

That's a good question, Nigel, as I have done a real 180 here haven't I?

Originally I had genuinely planned to just support Stef in whatever she did blog-wise (moral support and beta reading) as that's what friends do, but then I helped her write the initial posts and offered to rework some stuff I'd already half written to help get it all going and I just enjoyed it. I liked writing for the blog so I just kept doing it! It's my new hobby, really.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Umm..it's the 1st of December, time for a put up of mine and Poppy's posts then??
You can call me Sunskriti!
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Not necessarily! Just because its a new month doesbt mean they have to go up today! Be patient young one.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Tomorrow, then? :)

I was just looking at the “this day in history” thread and now I see that this day in 2007 was when Fiona joined the forums. 5th anniversary!