One thing that really bugs me about this forum...

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Jamie

Re: One thing that really bugs me about this forum...

Post by Jamie »

Moonraker wrote:No, honestly, I have rarely seen Harry Hill. I always thought he was rather silly...?

Yep, that would be the one. That's pretty much why he left the medical profession I think. Had a habit of moving the jaws of recently deceased corpses with one hand while imitating a voice himself, as if it were speaking.

Earned him a few odd looks, I imagine.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

JamieUK wrote:
Moonraker wrote:No, honestly, I have rarely seen Harry Hill. I always thought he was rather silly...?
[He] Had a habit of moving the jaws of recently deceased corpses with one hand while imitating a voice himself, as if it were speaking.
Hmm. Looks like my first impression were right, then. :|
I have handled quite a few deceased bodies in my time, and am pleased to say that I have never seen them treated with anything but the greatest respect - even down to the gentle way in moving them, as though they were still alive.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

JamieUK wrote: Yep, that would be the one. That's pretty much why he left the medical profession I think. Had a habit of moving the jaws of recently deceased corpses with one hand while imitating a voice himself, as if it were speaking.
I guess we can all be grateful that he left such a caring profession!!!

Nicely put, Nigel. Respect at all times in life and death, as we also upheld in the hospital I worked for.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

JamieUK wrote: Yep, that would be the one. That's pretty much why he left the medical profession I think. Had a habit of moving the jaws of recently deceased corpses with one hand while imitating a voice himself, as if it were speaking.

Er I think JamieUK is joking on this one guys. Harry Hill is very funny indeed. Rather slapstick perhaps but I quite like a bit of that sort of humour now and then.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Lucky Star wrote:

Er I think JamieUK is joking on this one guys. Harry Hill is very funny indeed. Rather slapstick perhaps but I quite like a bit of that sort of humour now and then.

No, I think it's really true. I wouldn't bet my pension or house on it, but I think it is.
Timmylover2
Favourite book/series: Five on Billycock hill, The secret Island, Fami
Favourite character: Julian, Peggy, Jack, Bets

Post by Timmylover2 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I keep meaning to ask whether anyone else finds "Search Forums" slow to use. If I search for a word and the thread I'm looking for doesn't come up on the first page, I generally have to wait ages till it allows me to click on page 2. The same happens if I want to refine my search, or start a new search. A message comes up saying something like, "Sorry, you cannot search at this time. Please wait and try again." It doesn't always happen, but it happens quite often.
I find this happenin' quite often too. Is it 'cos my computer is either a Windows XP with 32-bit Intel Pentium II or an early first-generation iPad?

Post-script: what is"Do not automatically parse URLs" and what is BBCode? Is it anything related to the BBC?
has posted this.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Searching is intentionally limited by the forums, so no matter how fast your computer us you cant search any faster. The BB Code has nothing to do with the BBC except sharing its initials.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Timmylover2 wrote:...what is "Do not automatically parse URLs" and what is BBCode?
"Do not automatically parse URLs" means "Do not make links clickable".

BBCode is formatting that uses square brackets, e.g. [ i ] text in italics [ / i ].
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: "Do not automatically parse URLs" means "Do not make links clickable".
What's the point of a link if it's not clickable? :?
Society Member
Timmylover2
Favourite book/series: Five on Billycock hill, The secret Island, Fami
Favourite character: Julian, Peggy, Jack, Bets

Post by Timmylover2 »

A link is not a link if it isn't clickable, is it?
has posted this.
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

It's a link-that-is-not-a-link
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Not sure what the exact definition of a web-link is, but I'd assume it would be a web address that when clicked on would take you to that site.

I suppose some people may not trust links on websites so disable them in case they accidentally click on one. If they did want to visit that site they could copy and paste the not-link into their browser address bar.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member