Home page

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Re: Home page

Post by Viking Star »

I too always used to look at the recent topics section of the Home Page - like others I found it a useful snapshot of what was being currently discussed. And I would imagine, as I believe Tony commented, that some of the topics might have attracted new visitors too look a little further. Oh well, sounds like there's little Keith can do. :(
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Would it be possible to put a link to 'view active topics' in that location instead so casual visitors (and everyone else) could go straight from the society home page to what is currently being discussed on the forums??

this is the page I mean......

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good thinking, Pete! That does sound like a possible solution - not quite as handy as having links to the topics, but better than nothing.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think that is a very sensible suggestion, Pete, although obviously a bit of a compromise. I have just sent a whole load of stuff to Keith that I want him to add to the website so I will probably wait a short while before I ask him to do anything else, but what you are suggesting sounds relatively simple to do and will work nicely for anyone who isn't registered.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Just been reading all this with interest. Popups are being blocked? WHAT popups?? There aren't any as far as I know. I don't recall popups associated with PMs, but I could be wrong. And I personally never have a problem with speed.

But more importantly, what to do with the home page links to the forums. I can't do anything right now because I'm currently sitting in a hotel room late at night, and I have a busy week ahead, and I'm feeling glum because I got a speeding ticket tonight (as I said above, I never have a problem with speed -- it comes easily to me!), but I'll certainly have a look at possible compromises. The problem was/is the code used for complex database requests, so the trick is to find a solution that involves a simple request. I won't really know how simple it is until I try it though.

Keep the thoughts/suggestions coming. :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Keith Robinson wrote:Popups are being blocked? WHAT popups?? There aren't any as far as I know. I don't recall popups associated with PMs, but I could be wrong.
I've never actually seen the pop-ups because of choosing to have pop-ups blocked, so I can't give any details! :) I'll send you a PM so you can remind yourself what happens.
Keith Robinson wrote:But more importantly, what to do with the home page links to the forums...I'll certainly have a look at possible compromises. The problem was/is the code used for complex database requests, so the trick is to find a solution that involves a simple request. I won't really know how simple it is until I try it though.
Cheers, Keith. Hope your busy week is enjoyably busy. :D

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Keith Robinson wrote:Just been reading all this with interest. Pop-ups are being blocked? WHAT pop-ups?? There aren't any as far as I know.
When you log in and have a new message (PM), a small pop-up window appears. If you have pop-ups blocked, you then get the yellow box across the top of the web page stating that pop-ups are blocked, click here to alter settings, or words to that effect.

It is possible that you can alter this setting in your UCP, Anita, which may be why you don't receive either the pop-up or the notice.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:It is possible that you can alter this setting in your UCP, Anita, which may be why you don't receive either the pop-up or the notice.
I do receive the notice, but I ignore it and click on "(x new messages)" at the top left of the page. That takes me to my PMs and the notice disappears, as there is no longer a pop-up trying to get through.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Very interesting.

I don't get a pop up when I have a new PM, but then again I'm fairly sure I'm running some sort of pop-up blocker somewhere. I know I've got ad-block running all the time for all websites so that might be taking care of my pop-ups or I may have a dedicated pop-up blocker. I'm not sure. I don't get a yellow bar either, though. I don't recall ever getting a pop up OR a yellow bar.

It may be a sign that I have/have had too many extensions/additions to my (3) browsers when I can't remember what's taking care of my pop-ups.... Though really as long as I don't see them (or too many ads) I guess I'm not that fussed.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:Is there no end to your talents? :D
Very probably! :(
Yes, it can be quite difficult to be blessed with too many talents - it's hard to decide which one to foster because you can't do them all justice :-(.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You can choose whether or not to receive new PMs in a pop-up window by going to your User Control Panel.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:You can choose whether or not to receive new PMs in a pop-up window by going to your User Control Panel.
Aha thats it. Mine was set to receive a pop up upon receipt of any PM. I dont know how that happened since I didn't set it up like that and I have never had pop ups for PMs before but the mystery is solved anyway. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I'd like to request a darker background. Sorry, everyone, but I'm, experiencing age related eyesight problems, and with the brightness of my monitor, the site is becoming a little hard to read.

Is there a version of the current site design, that has a darker background, and is easier to read?
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I'm not exactly sure how that will help, Bannerman. Whenever I read webpages with white text on black backgrounds I in fact strain my eyes even more. Perhaps you could tinker with your contrast and brightness settings on your monitor, lowering them a bit, maybe?

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ming's suggestion is a good one. You could also try enlarging the text (View then Zoom, I think).

Society Member