A meet-up in Beaconsfield?

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Re: A meet-up in Beaconsfield?

Post by Sally »

Hi everyone - just to check if the majority are still keen to meet up in Beaconsfield on 17 October for a pub lunch at the Red Lion and visit to the model village? I offered to make enquiries and suggest a plan and happy to do so if everyone is keen. Conscious it is later in the year than usual but will check things out next week and come back to you.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Hello Sally - been away for a time and not been on site so sorry for late reply. I am keen to come and meet everyone (including you of course!) and am very grateful for your efforts on our behalf.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Yes, I would still like to come. As Francis has already said, thank you for taking this on, Sally.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you, Sally. Chick and I would also like to meet up in Beaconsfield on 17th October. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

Hi Everyone

For those wishing to join us on Saturday 17 October in Beaconsfield for a reunion of EB Society members - some info below:

1200 Meet at the Red Lion Pub, Penn Road, Knotty Green, Beaconsfield HP9 2TN for lunch. They are open from 1200 and I suggest we meet as early as we can to get seats. I have spoken to them and they are happy for us to book a party, arriving and eating over a period of time, and I have agreed to confirm general numbers nearer the time. Details of menus and location on their website: http://www.beaconsfield.pub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There is parking there.

After lunch, we will walk or drive to Bekonscot Model Village, Warwick Road, Beaconsfield, HP9 2PL (open from 1000 to 1730). Parking is at St Theresas's Church, opposite the Warwick Road entrance. Ticket price is £9.50 (concessions £7.50) but there is a group ticket price for 15 or more of £8.50. If there are 15 or more of us together, that will be an advantage. The nearest railway station is Beaconsfield - details on Beconscot Model Village website. Hope a good number will join us for a great day (remember we are having an Indian summer to some extent and October can be beautiful). I will do a general check on numbers nearer the time, but we don't have to be exact.

Look forward to seeing old and new friends on the 17th. Francis - I hope you will have read the Barney Mysteries by then and we can have a chat about them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I would still like to come if I can, but have just found out that a friend from overseas will be in London that same day and may want to meet up with me and another friend there. No plans yet either way, but I will keep you posted once I know whether or not I'll be available. Thanks, Sally, for doing the organising!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Francis

Post by Francis »

Sally - I love your timetable and I will be fully Barneyised by then. Mind you I do hope we can drool over the Adventure series as well!
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

I have a DVD of all episodes of 'Lost in Austen' starring Jemima Rooper (George in the Famous Five) which cost me £3 and will bring it along to the meeting if anyone is interested. ( I found out I already had a copy!).
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm intending to join the gathering in Beaconsfield on 17th October, all things being well. Thanks for looking into times etc, Sally. Hope we'll have time to look at Blyton Close too, and perhaps the Town Hall which I think has a Noddy plaque on the gates. Looking forward to seeing people!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I never commit till near to the time. However, I won't be able to make this trip as we will be away looking after grandchildren. Looking forward to some photographs, though.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, plenty of photos please everyone. I won't be able to attend either. But hope you all have a great day. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'm hoping to be able to join the happy group too - with Mark. We haven't worked out the details yet but it may involve spending the night somewhere in the area.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I am also hopeful of joining this gathering which will be the first in several years that I have managed to get to. A pity Nigel and |Julie can't be there but I look forward to seeing others.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I are planning to join the gathering at Beaconsfield and we look forward to meeting up with friends old and new. Thank you for your part in organising the outing, Sally. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hope everyone has a lovely time.

I was in Reading on Saturday and we drove past Dinton Pastures - it was torture being so close to 'Enid Blyton' country and not being able to visit anything. :(
Society Member