Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Post by Rob Houghton »

Katharine wrote:Plus 2 sections which didn't appear to have names, but which featured a FF time line, and a display of books printed in different languages..
Tony Summerfield wrote:I notice that you make no mention of the Famous Five timeline, but if that was there it was something that I did for the first Famous Five Annual and it was taken from that.
It sounds like the famous five timeline was included after all? :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes, it was the two Soper pictures from Finniston Farm that came from the Society but they are certainly copies as Seven Stories told me that they have the originals in Newcastle still.

I have one of the prints of Beek's Noddy Village hanging on my wall at the moment, as Seven Stories have still got the original!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oops, I didn't see Tony's comment about the FF timeline.

There was also an area with a settee (or possibly two) with a couple of toy dogs in, although they later were spotted sitting in Noddy's car (did I mention the car?). The settee was opposite the TV screen showing Poppy's acting. I think there were also so modern illustrations on the wall in that part too. There were several pieces of modern artwork throughout the exhibition, but I didn't make a note of those as on the whole I didn't like them very much, especially the Faraway Tree characters which looked horrible next to the original Dorothy Wheeler ones - why do modern children's books have to be so ugly?

One of my favourites items was a small painting of a vase of flowers, which was painted by Enid, I think in 1966.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Oops, I didn't see Tony's comment about the FF timeline.
I think it is more to the point that he didn't see your comment! :P
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Katharine wrote:I also saw a video which I hadn't noticed before - a remaking of the 1970's TV series titles - starring Poppy. :D I really enjoyed it, it looked like a lot of fun, sadly the volume was rather low, so I was unable to hear what she says, and had to read the subtitles.
:D I'm glad you enjoyed the Famous Five film, Katharine!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:
Katharine wrote:Oops, I didn't see Tony's comment about the FF timeline.
I think it is more to the point that he didn't see your comment! :P
I actually looked at Katharine's list of the various sections and it wasn't listed. When it was in Newcastle it had its own separate room and section, but it doesn't sound as if that was the case in Canterbury.

We can't all be as perfect as you, Nigel! :lol:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm trying to remember. I think it was a small 'room' in the exhibition. The time line went around 2 or 3 walls. I think it was in there they had a framed FF game on the wall. I'm afraid I didn't pay quite as much attention to that room as I did others, as the FF is the series I probably know the best, and as I've had the last two FF annuals, I assumed there wouldn't be any information to see that I didn't already know. From what I did see, it would have made interesting reading to anyone who didn't know a lot about the FF and wanted to know more. There were also some modern illustrations dotted around in that general area, but I can't remember if they were in the time line room, or the one next to it, which had Poppy's video.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: We can't all be as perfect as you, Nigel! :lol:
This is true - I suppose it is because my expectations of you are so high, Tony. :P
Society Member