Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Post by Courtenay »

It really was excellent, as Walter has attested! :D I took some good notes and am looking forward to doing a write-up for the Journal, as Anita suggested. (I spoke to Mr Rudd briefly afterwards and he was very happy for me to do the article.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad you enjoyed the talk and exhibition, Walter and Courtenay, and it's always nice to meet a fellow forumite face to face. :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Glad you enjoyed the Lecture and the Exhibition, Walter and Courtenay. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

walter raleigh wrote:Just one thing. The exhibition mentioned that the Enid Blyton Society holds an 'Enid Blyton Day' every spring. Is there something you're not telling us Tony?
It would certainly be a novel way to sell tickets, organise an Enid Blyton Day and not tell anyone about it. :D
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Glad you both enjoyed it. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi is the exhibition coming anywhere in the midlands . pity it wasnt in the super new library in birmingham . its huge place and i was there with our college art class last week before we went to the art gallery. cheers sue
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

As far as we've been told, Sue, it's only Canterbury at present and then Plymouth in about June (dates TBC).
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: (2012 was the last one I think.)

8)
Good lord has it really been three years since we last met up in Twyford? I feel depressed now. :shock:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Glad both of you enjoyed the seminar. :D

I thought there was a meet up with others?
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

No date has yet been proposed for a meet-up with others yet, Sixret, as far as I've heard - this was just an evening lecture at the exhibition.

I wouldn't mind going again if a number of other Society members would be meeting up there and having lunch or afternoon tea together. I'm not desperate to go back solely to see the exhibition itself again - interesting and very well presented, but aimed more at children and families than single adults who aren't the hugest fans of the Famous Five and/or Secret Seven. :wink:

On that note, I was a bit disappointed to see that my very favourite series, the Adventure series (which I only discovered about half a year ago!), only rated one brief mention in the entire exhibition. :( I did, however, notice two incredibly beautiful framed giclee prints of Stuart Tresilian's dust wrapper illustrations for Castle and Sea - both of which, according to the signs, were "on loan from the Enid Blyton Society". Tony, you wouldn't happen to be the owner of these, would you? And if so, what kind of price would you be asking...? :wink: :mrgreen:
Society Member

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I went to see the exhibition today. I spent about an hour there. My 9 year old daughter loved it, she enjoyed sitting in Noddy's car, going down the slide in the Enchanted Wood area, and building a house out of Noddy's building 'bricks'. I'm sure if we'd chosen a day where an activity was being held, we'd have stayed longer.

I enjoyed seeing Enid's diaries - how I would love to read them all the way through. I also drooled over the many framed items on the walls, especially a booklet of songs from the Noddy play, and the plates from the Nature notes. It was a lovely feeling to see several items labelled as being on loan from the Enid Blyton Society, knowing that I'm a member, even if I haven't actually contributed anything myself.

I was pleased to see a steady flow of other people there, mostly families with young children, although I did spot a few senior citizen visitors too. From the odd snippets of conversation I heard, the children visiting were already familiar with Enid's books.

The only thing that jarred the visit was a section with various newspaper articles about Enid. I started to read someone's rant about how terrible the commemorative stamps were, and how someone was considering not sending something by post rather than using such offensive items! I had to stop reading the article before I blew a fuse, and it took a while before I could shake off such unpleasantness and remember the better points of the exhibition. I realise that it was probably trying to show the whole picture of the Enid Blyton story, I just would have preferred to have all the nice bits without any of the controversy. In fairness though, I didn't read any of the other articles in case they also wound me up, so maybe that was the only negative item.

Just one other teeny disappointment, it would have been nice if they'd mentioned that Enid did her teacher training in Ipswich, after all she did spend 3 years here and it was an important start to her career. That's just nit picking though really.

I'm glad I didn't spend a fortune travelling to Newcastle to visit it, as I don't think it was worth a trip just on it's own, so it was handy that it was included in a visit to my daughter. However, if it was closer to me, I would definitely pop in again from time to time, and if I visit Canterbury again before it moves away, I'll go again. As a member of the EBS, I'd already seen several photos and letters printed in Journals, so there wasn't a great deal there that was new to me, although it was nice to see them in the flesh at it were.

It definitely made me long for a dedicated Enid Blyton museum, the small selection of Noddy toys and Enid's typewriter are probably only a fraction of items that could be displayed.

I'd also love to know if the unpublished story about Mr. Tumpy will ever be printed. I read the first page which was on display and longed to read the rest.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Glad you and Susan enjoyed it, Katharine. I wish I'd been able to fit down the slippery-slip when I went :D.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The exhibition sounds great. I'm pleased to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit, Katharine. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Never mind Fiona, maybe one day there will be an Enid Blyton theme park built with a slide big enough for adults too. :wink: It's a good thing my daughter is small for her age as she only just fitted herself. I think it was really aimed at a younger age group.

Yes, Eddie it is a great exhibition. Thinking about it since, it made me realise just how big an exhibition could be created if more was included about her life. For example, there was a brief mention in one of her diaries about counting silver paper during the war, but I don't remember there being anything else about all the charity work she was involved in, so that could have made a small display if there was information about all that. There was mention made of her interest in nature, but again there could have been more included about that, maybe pictures of Old Thatch, maps of the layouts of her gardens etc. Also more information on her many pets and how they featured in her books. Again it was mentioned, but in a larger exhibition could have been expanded.

I'm not criticising what was there, just feel there is the potential for something even bigger. If copyright wasn't an issue, it would be good to see clips of the various films/TV programmes made of her work.
Courtenay wrote:I'm not desperate to go back solely to see the exhibition itself again - interesting and very well presented, but aimed more at children and families than single adults who aren't the hugest fans of the Famous Five and/or Secret Seven.
I think that pretty much sums it up. If I'm the area of any of the exhibitions, I would go back and have another look, but I don't think I'd make a special trip just to see it again.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed the exhibition, Katharine. Just wondering whether they also had the Malory Towers schoolroom with the old-fashioned lacrosse stick and desk, and the school reports and Stanley Lloyd artwork on the walls, and the notes Enid Blyton made for the Naughtiest Girl, St. Clare's and Malory Towers series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member