Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

There's a picture of the Secret Seven shed here (or part of it!):

http://exhibitions.sevenstories.org.uk/5/materials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There were plastic plates and cups inside, and plastic food (sandwiches and cakes).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Anita, I definitely don't remember seeing that, but wouldn't like to swear that it wasn't there, I may have over looked it.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I do remember seeing that same write-up about the Secret Seven - the wording on the webpage is identical to what's on the wall in the Secret Seven section of the exhibition. I don't recall the shed itself, but I only went past that area briefly; I'm sure the shed would have been there.

Perhaps we ought to start discussing a day when several of us might be able to meet up at the exhibition, go around together, and have afternoon tea or something afterwards? :D I'd be happy to go again for that - I'd love to meet some fellow Society members and Blyton enthusiasts in person - and we could check to make sure they really do have the shed in the display, while we're at it. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I remember seeing a child playing with a tea party set somewhere, but not sure which section. The SS shed definitely doesn't ring any bells though. I'll show my daughter the photos though and see if she remembers that bit.

A meet up would be nice if people could arrange a day, but I get the impression that Plymouth would be more suitable for most forumites. We've only got about 6 weeks before it moves though.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote: Maybe if Dorset could generally be marketed as 'Enid Blyton Country' it might have had a little more success
Really, Enid Blyton Country wouldn't be Dorset. An author's "country" is usually where the lived or were brought up. I think Enid's connection (from memory) with Dorset is holidaying in Swanage and owning a golf course and a farm.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Also, it did occur to me that if they marketed Dorset as "Enid Blyton Country", people might start assuming that Dorset is full of sexist and racist people who play with golliwogs and think that girls should stay home and do the cooking and cleaning. :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sounds like my ideal county. :D
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I know Enid set her books in many different locations, but it she seems to have slightly more links to Dorset than to anywhere else, other than Green Hedges. It's been mentioned in several news articles that Corfe Castle was Kirrin Castle, and I believe that Finniston Farm and Whispering Island were both based on genuine places in Dorset, so why not exploit that rather weak link? :wink:

I doubt the media will ever be convinced that Corfe isn't Kirrin.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think as long as you can see Eileen Sopers illustrations of Kirrin, you'll always be reminded of Corfe Castle. And of course there is Lulworth Castle, that could almost be Malory Towers. So for many the links are there, and as you mention, Katharine, Enid did base Whispering Island on Brownsea, and made special note to this affect inside the book - Mystery to Solve. Mentioning that Lucas is a real person, and the little cottage on the hills was real too.

And of course there are the books about - Enid's County of Dorset.

For me, I will always think of Enid's county being around Bourne End, and Beaconsfield, probably because of Old Thatch and Green Hedges.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: For me, I will always think of Enid's county being around Bourne End, and Beaconsfield, probably because of Old Thatch and Green Hedges.8)
Me too, Julie - and because of the Five Find-Outers and Dog. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

For me, it was in Dorset that I rediscovered (or re-admitted) my love of Enid Blyton - when, after a visit to Corfe Castle, I discovered the Ginger Pop Shop, which induced me to return for a holiday in Swanage a few months later - so Dorset it is for me! 8) But to be fair, I've never been to Bourne End or Beaconsfield.

Regarding Corfe Castle "being" Kirrin Castle, although there's little or no evidence for that (and a good deal of evidence against it), it IS certain that Enid visited Corfe Castle at least once, as she wrote about it very eloquently in one of her Teacher's World letters. So even though it wasn't "the" castle that inspired Kirrin, it can legitimately be said to be a "Blyton location", and elements of it very likely crept into her imagination to be used in her stories. (It does feature by name briefly in one of her last published books, Adventure of the Strange Ruby.)

Incidentally, I don't find that Eileen Soper's illustrations of Kirrin Castle bear any really clear resemblance to Corfe Castle - Corfe's keep is much taller and more angular than the surviving tower of Kirrin in Soper's drawings. I'm sure someone mentioned here recently, too, that it's not known whether Eileen ever visited Corfe herself, so we can't say whether or not she was influenced by it at all.

Last edited by Courtenay on 03 Mar 2015, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Good points, I would imagine it 'Enid Blyton Country' depends on how/when a person gets to know her. As I was only two when she died, I had no knowledge of Green Hedges so Beaconsfield would mean nothing to me. I never came across any of her Old Thatch books either, and only read the majority of the FFO books a few years ago, Bourne End wouldn't mean anything to me either. I suppose if any one says the words 'Enid Blyton' to me, I immediately think of the FF. I didn't visit Dorset until last year, so hadn't anywhere specific in my mind for the setting of many of the FF books, but now that I have been there, then I definitely felt that Dorset was at the back of Enid's mind when she wrote the books. Although personally I don't think Corfe Castle is anything like how I imagined Kirrin Castle.

Of course she also wrote about many other settings, but sadly I've yet to stumble across the Enchanted Wood or any other gateways to magical lands. :cry:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Let's not forget that Five on a Treasure Island was filmed at Corfe Castle, (about 1956) and the castle ruins were Kirrin Castle, and Lulworth Cove, was where the children landed on the 'so called Kirrin Island.' Many children who saw the film series at the cinema every Sat morning would also connect Corfe Castle with Kirrin Island, too.
Eddie Muir wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote: For me, I will always think of Enid's county being around Bourne End, and Beaconsfield, probably because of Old Thatch and Green Hedges.8)
Me too, Julie - and because of the Five Find-Outers and Dog. :D
Yes, I too Eddie think of the Find-Outers being assosicated with Bourne End.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

For me, I always think of Cornwall and Exmoor as my 'Enid locations'. Strange maybe!
I know that Enid has nothing to do with Exmoor, and never lived in Cornwall or anything, but it's all down to childhood memories for me.

As a little girl, I never knew anything about Enid in person, or where she lived, or had visited, or anything like that, and obviously we had no internet or anything to do any research about her. At that age I wasn't really bothered about her personal life anyway, i just had all her books and adored them, so I link the happy reading of all those adventures with the places I lived and visited while enjoying the books.

As a young child we always holidayed in Cornwall, so I would read my books there, so even the adventures that aren't set in Cornwall, always remind me of Cornwall anyway, especially the ones where there are wild coasts and coves etc.

I was brought up on Exmoor so that is another place where I constantly read the books and am reminded of the lovely countryside there, even though none of the stories are set on Exmoor.
I find that I can imagine all the settings to be somewhere in Exmoor or in Cornwall anyway; such as the midnight-biking woods in FGIT, I have visited woods on Exmoor that could have easily been those woods, etc!

And then, when the 90s FF series was filmed, and I saw that it had been filmed on Exmoor and in a few of the places I knew very well and lived near, that made it even more real for me - to have my favourite FF book, Five Go Down To The Sea, filmed in one of my favourite places on Exmoor, made it really magical and now, even though I know it is set in Cornwall, the places in my minds eye are the ones on Exmoor.

So, although these places are nothing to with Enid as such, they were the places where I grew up reading the adventures, so to me they are 'Enid Country'.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member