Update for Enid Blyton Day

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Tony Summerfield

Update for Enid Blyton Day

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Some good news and bad news here. Getting the bad news out of the way first - unfortunately Gary Russell has been offered a directing job in Los Angeles which will coincide with the Day, but this will not alter the programme as Marcus Harris will now be doing a solo instead of a duet - Julian on his own.

On the brighter side with still a month to go we now have over 130 of us attending including members from New Zealand and India, but there is still room for those who are dithering - do come, you would be most welcome.

I will be sending the programmes out sometime next week.

Best wishes
Tony
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

Oh No!! I have realised over the weekend that this is FA Cup Final Day. Brought home to me yesterday West Ham qualified. Any chance of a Telly being available?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I believe there will be a large screen at the Day :D , but that it will be showing clips from films of Blyton stories :lol: !

Anita
Ali

Post by Ali »

Hi - Just wondering, for those of us not living in the area what is the closest train station. I can see the map on the back of the programme that there are train lines but which station should we be aiming for, and also is it walking distance to Loddon Hall or would it be better to get a taxi?

I was going to email you direct Tony rather than posting but thought there might be other wanting to know as well. Smiles
Ali

Post by Ali »

Oh, just something funny to share. A month or so ago we had a film called "Cruise of the Gods" screen on tv here. It was an english film based on a group of fans who set off on a fan club cruise to share there love of a cult tv series from the 70's.

It was hilarious! All the fans new the words from the tv series by heart and when watching re-runs they were all mouthing the words, and of course all in costume, they treated the star speaker like a God.

It did occur to me after watching it (and just having had booked tickets to the Enid Blyton Day) that I wondered if we had anyone turning up in costume? Are we likely to get 130 Georges at the Day? Just for the record it won't be in costume - although that would really be getting into the spirit of the Day! And as for being able to recite by heart from the books, I have to say that I sadly fail in that area LOL
Looking forward to it all though, and for those of you brave enough to come in costume, prepare yourself for a photo shoot, as with camera in hand I will just need to record the moment!
Look forward to meeting you all.
Ali
Ali

Post by Ali »

Just for the record it won't be in costume - although that would really be getting into the spirit of the Day!
Oops I of course meant that I won't be in costume.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hi Ali,

I travel to the Enid Blyton Day by train - you need to go to Twyford Station and then it's about a fifteen minute walk to Loddon Hall. (If you're travelling from London, you catch the train from Paddington to Twyford.)

Of course, to gain access to the hall you will need to a) dress as a Blyton character or at the very least disguise as a balloon-woman with layer upon layer of frilled petticoats, b) converse in Baronian, Hessian or both, c) sing the theme tune to the 1970s Famous Five TV series, d) recite by heart Fatty's incomplete poem about Goon ("Oh how I love thee, Uncle dear...") and finish it off yourself.

Looking forward to seeing you there :D !

Anita
Ali

Post by Ali »

oh dear, will have to give the costume a miss on account of luggage allowance; don't speak the required languages; and as for my singing I think I wouldn't be let in if I did actually sing - I did know the theme tune for the 1970's series as I had taped it and listened to it repeatedly at the age of 10, although sadly long forgotten now; so out will come the required Fatty poem and I will just have to get remembering. LOL

Actually, I have just remembered that I had a Famous Five Badge when I was 9 (and have a photo of me wearing it), I seem to remember that something came with it that said we should wear it at all times so we would be recognised by other members - however even being the precious item it was, it was still mislaid over the years, so can't even wear that!
sayantani

enid blyton day

Post by sayantani »

feel quite sad to be left out!!
is there any way one can catch clips on this site of the exciting proceedings?!
sayantani
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Actually, as webmaster for this site, I've been talking to Tony about this very subject by email. I think for sure there will be photos and captions uploaded to the site, and because I'll actually be there in England for two weeks in May (and visiting Twyford on the 13th) this will mean setting something up so Tony can upload photos without my being home at my computer -- otherwise you'll all have to wait a week or two until I get home, which would be a shame.

So now I'm open to suggestion. I think photos are a given, and captions to go along with the photos, but I wonder if anyone going along to the Day would like to offer short personal accounts of their visit when they get back home afterwards? It would be cool to have a little selection of articles or letters posted to the site.

Oh, and as for photos... We don't yet have an official photographer, but I think if people were willing they could take a bunch of photos (as I'm sure they will anyway) and then perhaps offer some of the best to Tony for the site? I think this, together with the articles, would make the whole thing a much more collective/community effort.

Keith
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That's a great idea, Keith. I'll be happy to write a few lines - and send you some photos if I remember to take any (last year I took my camera but completely forgot to use it - I was too busy having fun!)

Anita
Raci

Post by Raci »

:D I'll second that!

As someone who is unable to go I would really appreciate hearing about what happens and seeing any pics!!!!

And in advance of the effort needed can I also thank everyone for making it possible for us to be able to see a little of the day!

Thankyou Tony, Keith, Anita and anyone else involved in any way! :D
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Photos

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I'm looking forward to Blyton Day, and in particular meeting with some cyber-pals from here and the Yahoo site.

I often look at the personal details of people and find them very sparce. I can understand why, but it would be nice to see a picture of the person I am communicating with. (I know that I haven't got a picture up either, but that is because I've yet to get a digital camera, and my computer knowledge aint great!)

My suggestion is - if you are not going to Blyton day, and wish you were, please send a picture of yourself to go on display, so that at least those of us who are there can know who you are! By the sound of it, you will see lots of pics of those of us who do go, on this site afterwards.

Does that make sense....?

If this idea is favourable, photos could be sent to me at the Ginger Pop Shop, and I will mount them for the Day. If you would rather e-mail them, then someone else with broadband had better do it.

Perhaps in a few years time we will all be video-conferencing from home!

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Ali

Post by Ali »

I travel to the Enid Blyton Day by train - you need to go to Twyford Station and then it's about a fifteen minute walk to Loddon Hall. (If you're travelling from London, you catch the train from Paddington to Twyford.)
Thanks Anita, now I know what I'm doing. Just one last thing, can you give me an idea of how long the train journey is from Paddington to Twyford?

Oh, and awhile ago some posted some shocking photos of the weather, is there a general improvement, what temps are you experienceing at the moment, just planning on which wardrobe to pack . . . the summer wardrobe or do we go for the late winter wardrobe LOL In other words is it warm enough for jeans and a tee shirt? LOL
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hi Ali,

It takes about 45 minutes from Paddington to Twyford. You can check times etc at the following website:

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

I don't know if you've been to London before, but buses can be very slow in some areas because of the traffic. The Tube is fast and usually pretty efficient.

The weather in May is changeable - reasonably warm most of the time but rain and cool breezes are common. Some days will probably be warm enough for jeans and a tee-shirt, but on other days you'll need a cardigan or jacket. A light, waterproof coat would also be handy.

Let's hope we have a good day for the Enid Blyton Day, with a sky as blue as cornflowers!

Anita