Enid Blyton Day 2012

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2012

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

What a fabulous day the 2012 E.B. Day was. It was great to see everyone and so lovely to meet those I'd not met before. Young Abi, (7up) reminded me so much of my own grand-daughter, and her little face was lit up with excitement all day. Good to meet Fiona, Kateleigh, Katharine, Denis (Lenoir) francis and Mrs. francis, Abi's grandmother, and a few others whose name escapes my memory at the moment, so apologies, if I've missed off your name.

Georgina Hargreaves was an absolute delight, I just loved her illustrations and her talks. For me she was the best speaker there, but it was nice to hear about Seven Stories etc and what Pam Ally had to say about Chorion.

Jon Appleton came over to meet me with my hubby, and Stephen embarrassed me by telling him about the stories I'd written. I could have sunk through the floor!

The picnic was fabulous and Stef's ginger cake was yummy, I had two pieces, great spread girls, you did extremely well.

I of course won't even mention about Nigel taking us down the wrong path to Dinton Pastures. :P

Looking forward to the photos, and I'll put mine up once I get back to Cornwall. :D

And thank you, Tony. You did us all proud once again, it was a thorougly enjoyable day.

8)
Last edited by Julie2owlsdene on 13 May 2012, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I will sort out some photos tomorrow. However, just to show you're not weird, 7up, here's one to be going on with.
Moonraker, Stef, Fiona with Abi in front.
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Thanks.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You're more than welcome! :D
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I got new clothes today that my grandma bought me. Shame I didn't wear them at the day...
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

It's probably just as well you didn't wear them - I don't think she'd be pleased if you got them all muddy! :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Main thing is that you brought youself and grandmother - hope
she enjoyed the day.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Why did the day go so quickly? Why didn't I talk to more people? -
I meant to but time went so quickly. I really admire Lenoir
and the young lady from Singapore (why did I not chat to her?!)
for travelling so far to the Enid Blyton day. Makes our trip from
Guildford seem pathetic!
Society Member
David Chambers

Post by David Chambers »

I don't mean to be elusive Tony! I did confess to Anita on the day that I'm hopeless at using the forums, but then as you know I don't even own a mobile (I can hear the gasps from here).
It was a fantastic day this year. I enjoyed all the speakers and it was a great thrill to be introduced to Imogen who was absent from the last day I attended. Thank you so much.
Whilst I'm happiest when my nose is buried in a dusty old journal or book it was a wonderful change (though a bit overwhelming) to see such a host of fellow enthusiasts congregated and clearly enjoying the events of the day as much as I did.
I just wanted to add my voice to all those thanking you for your hard work organising such a special event.
Francis

Post by Francis »

I must add my thanks to Tony for all his hard work that made the
day go so well. I was glad to see him join the picnic and have
a few minutes of relaxation surrounded by his admiring acolytes!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

What a lot of great reports. I too cannot wait to see the photos. 7up you looked great, not weird at all. Rob what a disaster that you forgot about the day. Thats life I guess but you must have been gutted. You were certainly missed at the hall. Hopefully there will be a next year for you.

Did anyone pre order that DVD of Enid's Beckenham years whose trailer was showing at lunchtime? I thought about it but got distracted by something or someone and forgot all about it. It did look quite interesting though. No doubt we'll hear when it comes out.

Wolgang I too am sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to you. I had assumed that I would see you at the picnic but then I noticed that you were not there. I hope you got home safely. I'm glad to hear that everyone arrived safe at home. Lenoir I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and also get safely back. You have a very long journey but I'm glad you enjoyed the day and after reading so many of your journal articles it was great to meet you.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:Did anyone pre order that DVD of Enid's Beckenham years whose trailer was showing at lunchtime? I thought about it but got distracted by something or someone and forgot all about it.
I thought I'd picked up a leaflet about that, but when I looked at it today I found I'd picked up the wrong thing. The leaflet I've got is advertising a concert to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the birth of Carey Blyton (Enid's nephew who was a musician, and who died in 2002). In case anyone reading this thread is interested in the concert, it's taking place very soon - on Saturday 19th May at 7.00pm at The Warehouse in Theed Street, London. Tickets cost £12 and you have to book in advance (Tel. 01730 267341).

I would certainly like to get a copy of the DVD about Enid Blyton's Beckenham years, though I'm not sure I want to order in advance - I'd prefer to wait until it's out. Does anyone know when that will be?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I got a whole stack of order forms from Mike Shaw before he left if anyone wants one, so I am now offering those as well as the bookmarks. I also have quite a few of the posters, but I am not too certain that I want to send out too many of those with the new postal rates!
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Can I have a bookmark please Tony? :lol:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Most certainly!