Enid Blyton Day 2012

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2012

Post by Icecream342 »

Sounds like everyone had a great time. I woke up with a cold on Saturday and it hasnt gone away yet :( but im pleased I didnt go to the EB Day coz i would have felt TERRIBLE! I never pictured Abi with ginger hair. I rhought Abi had brown hair. Oh well. I will ask if I can go next year!
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Love to see you there next year, Icey - minus your cold of course.
Society Member
Faraway_Tree
Favourite book/series: Probably Five Find-Outers.... (today anyway!)
Favourite character: Fatty, Buster, Mr Goon!

Post by Faraway_Tree »

Just wanted to say that I too thoroughly enjoyed Saturday! It was lovely to see some familiar faces and some new ones too. I don't think I have much to add, other than to thank Tony as well, and also Pippa_Stef for the expert chair-stacking and the lift to the picnic and the station! :D

Now to start on the pile of books I bought...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great pictures everyone. Thanks for sharing them. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

Where you there john?
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes I was Icey and had a wonderful time. You can see me in a couple of Nigel's Facebook pictures. Otherwise I'm sure I'll be in a few of Anita's. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
fivesfan78/79
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE!
Favourite character: GEORGE!

Post by fivesfan78/79 »

I had a great time at the enid blyton day,with my best mate trevor,and drove there from teesside and back home again,a slight detour to collect GEORGE@KIRRIN and off we went.
Loved all the red kites we saw on the way down,a very nice drive indeed,although GEORGE@KIRRIN drove a good deal of the way there and back,and i must say that me and my mate trevor both agreed that we felt incredibly safe with her driving. :D
i liked the t-shirt she was wearing,a great advert for enid blyton day,a limited edition t-shirt i should think!
it was nice to see some friendly faces from the last blyton day i went to in 2010.
so,heres to next year,i hope it works out as good as the one this year!
please take care everybody,and special thanks to tony and his team for sorting out a very enjoyable and interesting day!

kind regards everyone-darren.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Ming wrote: Viking Star, I'm asking you here because my emails seem to never reach you, but I get yours! How are you, old thing?! :D
I'm fine thanks Ming, although I was feeling sorry for myself (after a few beers!) when I posted last night :roll:

Very busy at work at the moment - have just finished 'working at home' now (UK time 10.20pm)! I thought we had sorted out the email hitch?! Will email you separately. Thanks for asking :D I said to Nigel on the 'phone yesterday that I'm quite chuffed that you, he and Anita check up on me from time to time or let me know when something is happening! :D
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am terribly sorry that you never got your programme, Rob. When I saw your post I went straight to my address files and your name has a tick against it which means that I definitely printed out a label and sent it, so I am at least thankful that Royal Mail were to blame and not me - not much consolation I know! :cry:
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I'm back and I have to say, it was a good day. It was nice to meet many friends again or meet some of the forumites face to face for the first time.
A very big Thank You for Tony organising the day again, and naturally for all the others who helped to make it happen.
Pippa-Stef, don't sell yourself short, you too did a very good job building everything up and down, without you I had been lost in the morning.
I'm sorry people missed me at the picnic, but several things (not Blyton day related) had taken their toll on me, so I decided not to attend.
For those who missed Nanine (Nanny) and Frank, they asked me to give you their regards, they both hope to come next time again, and they're sorry they couldn't make it this year.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Icecream342 wrote:I never pictured Abi with ginger hair. I rhought Abi had brown hair. Oh well. I will ask if I can go next year!
Well that's me!

Maybe, if she is going, you could ask Fiona if she could pick you up? It would be nice to meet you..
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:You can see me in a couple of Nigel's Facebook pictures. Otherwise I'm sure I'll be in a few of Anita's. :D
I've got a good one of you John, and a good one of Shadow too. I didn't want to post all my photos here, but they'll be appearing anon.
Viking Star wrote:I said to Nigel on the 'phone yesterday that I'm quite chuffed that you [Ming], he and Anita check up on me from time to time or let me know when something is happening! :D
Really sorry I hadn't emailed you recently, Rob, as I'd probably have mentioned the Enid Blyton Day and then you might have realised it was drawing near. I almost contacted you the other week, but I didn't in the end as I thought we'd soon be chatting anyway at the Day! :(

Thanks for passing on the wishes from Nanny and Frank, Wolfgang. I hope they can make it to a future Blyton gathering.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

More good photos from Anita and Stef. Thanks for putting them up for us all to see. :)

Nice to see Tony's Barney tee-shirt. When I saw Tony the tee-shirt wasn't on display, he'd covered it up :(

So sorry to Rob (Viking Star) for missing the day. We did all look for you and wonder where you were. I'm sure if we get another day then the reminders will come flooding in for you. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

One thing I forgot to mention was the splendid display of all editions of "Five on a Treasure Island", what an amazing collection, even down to the large print edition published by Chivers which I well remember from my days of working in public libraries.

One regular of the Enid Blyton Day who was missed by me was Val Biro, but I believe he is 90 now, so it is not perhaps surprising.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Kate Mary wrote:One regular of the Enid Blyton Day who was missed by me was Val Biro, but I believe he is 90 now, so it is not perhaps surprising.

Kate.
Val Biro was originally on my list of those coming, but he normally comes with David Schutte and although his books were there, David himself had another engagement. I then learnt that Val had also been booked to appear with Gumdrop at a wedding that day! Despite being 90 he is still very active and still working, and Gumdrop is in popular demand at events.