Enid Blyton Day 2010

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2010

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I would still be complaining Anita! :lol: I hate Photos of me!!!
I got one with Jemima Rooper, and I don't like it. I shall probably pop back to the stage door on Thursday and ask her very nicely if I could have another.
This time let's hope you get one you do like for once! :lol: :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote: I got one with Jemima Rooper, and I don't like it.
You can send it to me, Stef. I can always cut you out of the picture! :wink:
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote: I got one with Jemima Rooper, and I don't like it.
You can send it to me, Stef. I can always cut you out of the picture! :wink:
Go ahead:) http://twitpic.com/1ty397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She was Super nice, though! Really Lovely. Stood and had a chat with me and my friend Charlotte:D She seemed really happy that someone had recgonised her! :lol:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You are indeed a lucky lady. To the rest of you, Stef and I have been chatting via Twitter, it is a great photo, and I wouldn't dream of snipping Stef out of the picture! Thanks, Stef! :D
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Nice pic Pippa-Stef. Glad you enjoyed the day. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

An excellent review of the Blyton Day Anita, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Let's hope that there will be a 2011 Blyton Day to read further reviews about, but if it is to be replaced by a lower key event then so be it. Tony has certainly worked wonders over the past 17 years, if only I had known about the E.B.S earlier. :cry:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I got one with Jemima Rooper, and I don't like it.
Nonsense! That's a very nice photo of you and Jemima. :D
tix

Post by tix »

I really enjoyed the Enid Blyton Day. Wandering around the hall I met so many familiar faces and observed all the exciting books and stuff on the stalls. Then I sat in the audience and listened to speakers entertaining us and I also enjoyed the picnic - although I didn’t sample anything.

I wasn’t actually “there” but Thank You Very Much to those Fans who posted the pictures and even some video (a First?) so as the rest of us could have a wander and take part in the proceedings. All that, together with the comprehensive write-up by Anita Bensoussane (I wrote that name from memory so I hope I got it right), allowed us to be there in person as much as we possibly could be.

Thank you very much again for taking the time and trouble to share all those great pictures with the rest of the world (and there may be more to come, hopefully).
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I thought for a moment you had been there Tiq! - Anita has painted a very realistic picture of the day.
There is an email in my outbox which hasn't gone to you. I wonder if your email address has changed since you registered?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

tiq wrote: I wasn’t actually “there” but Thank You Very Much to those Fans who posted the pictures and even some video (a First?) so as the rest of us could have a wander and take part in the proceedings.
Here is a Google Street View of the Loddon Hall. With a little practice one can also quite easily walk the streets of Twyford in addition to wandering around the Loddon Hall approach road. :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for posting the picture of Loddon Hall, Petermax and making me competely miserable now, as the day has come and gone. :(

Still there's always next year!!!! :P :wink:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

Petermax wrote (June 7th):

Here is a Google Street View of the Loddon Hall. With a little practice one can also quite easily walk the streets of Twyford …

Thanks, Petermax. I’d forgotten about Google’s Fantastically, Amazingly, Incredible Gift to Mankind. That organization is subject to criticism regarding privacy and such, but I’m beginning to think – “So what!” They must have spent trillions sending people round the planet in specially equipped cars to photograph all the streets and the houses. Do we still need to spend hundreds of pounds buying tickets and hotel reservations to explore other lands?

As you state, I can (and did) walk the streets of Twyford. I also amble along remote country roads in other parts of England. At one stage I stop to view the ocean from dizzy heights and then continue on my way only to turn around and retrace my steps. I halt once again to look at a house, or a copse, or even an interesting shop on reaching the nearest village. Next venue is Anchorage, Alaska (904 E 17th Avenue to be exact). I visit briefly to see what kind of homes they live in over there and how the surroundings relate to my own environment and then with a mouse-click I’m off to Dubai! Can’t walk the streets there (yet) but no matter, like Superman I can soar above the teeming city and even view it from a different perspective - “Google Earth.” Their technicians and all the other supercalifragilistic professors devoted to computer science have proved that anything at all is possible so the limits are governed purely by our imaginations. Those dedicated individuals are equipped with “superb” examples. I foresee the time when they’ll eventually work out for us just why we’re here on Rocket Ship Earth, hurtling at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour through endless space to fulfill whatever “Destiny” has in mind for us!
tix

Post by tix »

Daisy wrote (June 6th):

There is an email in my outbox which hasn't gone to you.

I thank you very much – there were “two” dating back to April and the reason they weren’t answered is that I know very little about the private mail-system on this site so I didn't realise we all have our own little box. I had seen "P.N." bandied around and I was fairly sure it meant "Private Note" but I had thought you needed to register or something for that service and as I'd never sent a P.N. I hadn’t bothered to look any further.

Tony has fixed it – he gets around like a one-armed paperhanger attending to this and that during which he takes his hour-per-night nap. He’s forwarded the notes to me via email from a “User Control Panel” (something I’d never heard of) and he’s also changed a few things.

On my side I have to learn how to send a reply so that I can answer your questions and I’m about to open up the “Members’ Only” area to conduct a search for some technical know-how.

Thanks to you again, and I’m truly sorry that I was unaware of the communication.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks for replying here Tiq. It took me ages to fathom out how to use it too! I couldn't work out how to re-send my first, hence the second written yesterday, and now you have both! I look forward to hearing from you!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

tiq wrote: Tony has fixed it – he gets around like a one-armed paperhanger attending to this and that during which he takes his hour-per-night nap.
I am struggling to imagine how a one-armed paperhanger gets around! An amazing description, though. I've always imagined him as an octopus type creature, with a different project being managed in each tentacle - his scanner buzzing away in the corner like an overworked robot. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
tiq wrote: Tony has fixed it – he gets around like a one-armed paperhanger attending to this and that during which he takes his hour-per-night nap.
I am struggling to imagine how a one-armed paperhanger gets around! An amazing description, though. I've always imagined him as an octopus type creature, with a different project being managed in each tentacle - his scanner buzzing away in the corner like an overworked robot. :D

I struggled to imagine it at first: but I think maybe it means pasting the paper with one arm and hanging it with the other?? :?

Anyway: whatever it means, Tony certainly must have at least eight arms!! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member