A Special Review...

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Katy

A Special Review...

Post by Katy »

Hi everyone,

I've written this review of the day for the magazine portion of my degree final project and would love your feedback on it. Please pull me up on any inaccuracies (or dodgy grammar) as I want it to be as true to all of the society as possible. The magazine won't be published as it is just a taster issue, but I wanted to get across the unique spirit of the day and how Blyton continues to bring people together. As you will see, I particularly enjoyed Nicolette Jones's talk!
Thanks a lot!
Katy...

The Enid Blyton Society was established in 1995 by Tony Summerfield, Norman Wright and Michael Rouse after the success of several Enid Blyton Days. The days, held in Twyford, Berkshire, started in 1993 and celebrate all things Blyton, bringing together collectors and enthusiasts from around the world over ginger beer and potted meat sandwiches. However, the day is not only a chance to meet fellow Blytonians, but is based around a comprehensive programme of inspiring talks from such esteemed speakers such as Sir Tim Rice, Ann Digby and Noddy illustrator Robert Tyndall, as well as some of the best children’s book dealers selling a wide variety of rare Blyton books and memorabilia.

This fourteenth year, talks came from Nicolette Jones, reviewer, author and general virtuoso of current and past children’s literature; Duncan McLaren, author of a new book This Is His Enid; and Marcus Harris and Gary Russell, Julian and Dick respectively from the 1978 television series of The Famous Five. Each speaker gave a personal talk of ‘their Enid’, something a lot of the audience could identify with, as reading an Enid Blyton book is a uniquely individual experience.

Nicolette Jones investigated Enid Blyton’s continued popularity with children. Why, in this age of technology and magic, do her old-fashioned books about ordinary children still sell in their millions? The answer, says Jones, lies in the question. Todays children’s literature market is saturated with tales of wizardry and fantasy, with characters and adventures that the corporeal child could never attain. Conversely, the vast majority of Blyton’s eight hundred-plus stories feature real children on adventures that the child reader could not only imagine but embark on themselves. Her child characters tended to come from one of four clean, basic templates, essential for the child reader to identify with one or more instantly. Jones herself used to think herself as George from The Famous Five, the tomboy with a real sense of adventure, cropping her hair and wearing a neckerchief at all times, even with her pyjamas (certainly never a girly nightdress).

Although Blyton’s books read more like period pieces than a lot of the traditional classics, today’s media saturated generation of children still devour them. Critical adults bemoan the fact that children spend more time in front of a television or computer game than using their imaginations and creating games, but the truth is that twenty-first century children don’t have the freedom to go on day long adventures like Blyton’s characters; many parents today would not let their children out of their sight as there seem to be so many more dangers to children now. But contrary to popular (adult) opinion, children love the thought of adventure and mystery, and their limitless imaginations are not given enough credit today. Children have not stopped dreaming of adventures, but their world has changed. Through Blyton books, they can experience this freedom that has been denied their generation.

Duncan McLaren in his book ‘This Is His Enid’ (Portobello Books, Oct 2007) takes his reader on a Blyton-esque adventure through Enid’s life, exploring the influence of various people and places on her writing. In his talk, he demonstrated how he followed her journey from her childhood homes, standing outside them and imagining how the young Enid saw her world; now that’s dedication to research! The book uses passages from Blyton’s Five Find Outers, along with letters written by Enid to her readers from The Enid Blyton Magazine. The cover illustration of the hardback edition features an original illustration from Five On Kirrin Island Again, interesting and ‘original’ because it features a telescope which the publishers requested be re-drawn as it looked like George was looking through it the wrong way round. McLaren informed us that it was intended to reference the smugglers’ tunnel which features prominently in the story. He has used the original ‘wrong way round’ telescope for his cover, and it works charmingly. The book, in particular the hardback edition, is a must for any serious Blyton fan’s enchanted bookshelf. It provides a unique insight into what made Enid Enid, thus how she came to give her readers so much enjoyment.

The highlight of the day for many was the spontaneous talk given by Marcus Harris and Gary Russell, stars of the 1978 television series based on The Famous Five books. Ju and Dick entertained the audience with their wonderful memories of filming the series and were almost persuaded into performing a scene. Fortunately there’s always next year! Although unscheduled, this talk was a hit for everyone, colourful, comical and completely off-the-cuff. Many keen FF fans spoke of how the pair have become ‘extensions of their characters’, and were thrilled to get their assorted memorabilia signed. They most certainly added to the spirit of the day.

The biggest impression the Enid Blyton Day left was one of enormous achievement. There were so many different books, magazines and stories that she must never have stopped writing. Coupled with this is the colossal effect she has and continues to have on such a variety of people. Well over one hundred Blytonians travelled from as far away places as India, Portugal and Bangladesh to celebrate a woman who shaped their childhoods, many second or even third generation readers. She continues to bring people together almost fifty years after her death.

The Enid Blyton Day was a fantastic way to spend a Saturday, surrounded by lovely and such knowledgable people, much inspiration and most importantly, entering a place filled with the spirit of childhood.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk
Katy

Post by Katy »

Wow, sorry, it doesn't look that long on my layout! Please still read it though, it is most interesting!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

It is interesing. Well done!

I would suggest you mention the Society a bit more. :)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I enjoyed reading this, Katy. You could perhaps add a few details of what some of the speakers looked like/sounded like, to help readers of the article picture them. And you could also say a bit more about Loddon Hall itself and the items on display.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katy

Post by Katy »

Thanks for the quick replies Anita and Ming! And they're both really good ideas, I'll try and work them in. I'm plugging the society throughout the magazine too!
Last edited by Katy on 17 May 2007, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Well done Katy - a very good summary of the Day which I thoroughly enjoyed too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katy

Post by Katy »

Thank you very much Daisy. Just need to find some nice images now. Got to get some Noddy dolls in, they're my current favourites.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hi Katy,

A good review, but I'm not so sure about your first paragraph. You will see on the inside of your programme that we have only been in Twyford for the last six meetings, the previous eight were at Watersmeet in Rickmansworth. Most new members now come through the website, but I do still get a few written enquiries and I have a fact sheet about the Society which I send them - perhaps you would like a copy?

I am not sure that I would have picked out the three speakers that you have mentioned, for example in the year that Anne Digby spoke, we also had Helen Cresswell and I would have thought that as a children's author she had a much higher profile. One of the best speakers we have had in recent years was Gyles Brandreth, who had the audience rolling in the aisles. I think the most surprising thing however is that you make no mention of our three patrons, her two daughters, Gillian Baverstock and Imogen Smallwood, and her Biographer, Barbara Stoney. All have spoken at various times in the past, and Gillian and Imogen have been present at most days. Barbara is one of the few people who has been to all fourteen days.

A good article, but I just feel it is missing something still!
Katy

! Katy

Post by Katy »

Thank you Tony. A copy of the fact sheet would be fantastic as I got most of the information from the page on the main society website and a bit more background detail would be grand. Thanks for bringing me up about Twyford too, apologies for that. I know I need to talk about Gillian Baverstock, Imogen Smallwood and Barbara Stoney so I was expecting that, I'll be sure to include them. I know Barbara was there last weekend but were Gillian and Imogen? When did they become patrons and how active are they in the society?
Thank you for your help,
Katy
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

enjoyed the article, but was surprised to read that it is 'almost fifty years' since Enid's death! Enid died in 1968, so it should read 'almost forty years'.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katy

Post by Katy »

Ha oh yes Robert, thank you! Three years of being a fashion student has clearly robbed me of all mathematical abilities! I knew it was '68, just added 10 years by accident.