Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As many people will be aware, the Enid Blyton Exhibition that was at Seven Stories in Newcastle in 2013 will be in Canterbury from January 31st to April 19th 2015, at the Canterbury Beaney. Several forumites have suggested that it would be good to have a meet-up, so feel free to discuss dates and arrangements here.

The exhibition should also be going to Plymouth in June - I'll start a separate thread for that once the dates have been confirmed.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Canterbury Beaney Exhibition

Post by Katharine »

I am a definite for Canterbury. In theory I could manage any weekend, and also weekdays in half-term (16th - 20th Feb). As I want to combine my visit with seeing my daughter who is in Canterbury, I probably wouldn't want to visit during April as she will be home for the Easter holidays, although I'm not sure yet when she's coming back.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm a definite for Canterbury too. I could theoretically do any day except Sundays, provided I know in advance and can ensure I have that day off work. I realise Saturdays will probably be best for the majority, so I'd be happy to make it a Saturday. Towards the end of the period might make better weather more likely, but who knows, especially with Kent? :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Bring along both of your daughters, Katharine, if possible. The more the merrier. I assume your son is not interested in joining you. I hope I'm wrong. :lol: :wink:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'd like to come along to the Canterbury meet-up if possible. My son is involved in a few activities in March and April and I don't know the dates yet, but as long as nothing clashes I'll try to join the throng!

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sadly too far for me, so early in the year too.

Hopefully a few forumites will join me in Plymouth once the dates are set. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'm hoping to make the Canterbury meeting by combining it with a visit to my sister-in-law in Tenterden.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

As long as there are no clashes with work or otherwise then I am definitely up for Canterbury. I am guessing that a saturday would be the best day for most people. I will have to see which saturdays I am off in that time period and hopefully one of them will be acceptable to others.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

My work shifts are usually pretty flexible if I can ask in advance to have a certain day off, so if I know the most preferred date at least a few weeks ahead, I can almost certainly make it too.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

I can probably make it to Canterbury as long as I get enough notice beforehand, although the end of March might be difficult for work reasons. Weekday's would also be a lot easier for me, but I realise for most people weekends are preferable. Plymouth later on in the year I could probably make also, unless it's the beginning of June, which may be trickier.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

This link might be of interest to anyone thinking of going to Canterbury:-

http://www.canterbury.co.uk/Beaney/what ... lyton.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for the link, Katharine. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ooh, lovely - thanks, Katharine. I looked on the Beaney's website some weeks ago but they didn't seem to have any information about the exhibition at that stage; I guess they were saving it for the start of 2015.

Most of the special activities are for young children and/or families, but do you think any of us could perhaps make it to this lecture?

The Phenomenal Enid Blyton

Thursday 12 February, 6pm to 7pm, The Beaney Learning Lab
A look at the bestselling writer’s incredible output, her background, the reasons for her popularity, and for the criticism she attracted over the years.

There are 40 tickets on sale for £6 each, or £4 for members.

I could possibly go if I arrange in advance to either have that day off or work a morning shift - I live about an hour's drive from Canterbury, though it might be better to go by train.

Of course the lecture might all be "old hat" to those of you who have been exploring Enid's life and works for decades, but it could be interesting to find out what they have to say. I wouldn't mind knowing who the speaker is, though - the website doesn't say.
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks very much for the link, Katharine. I don't think I'd be able to make it to the Thursday evening lecture but it is lovely that the Beaney are organising activities around the exhibition.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I would also love to know who is giving the lecture, but it seems this information is not available!