Journal 64

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: Journal 64

Post by Machupicchu14 »

What a nice surprise when I came back from school and the EB Journal was on my table!! I'm en happy, and I am going to start reading it straight away!!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

My copy has arrived safely and looks absolutely beautiful. I've only had a quick look so far but Tony seems to have surpassed himself with the colour sections this time. I look forward to several cosy hours with it. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Mine arrived as well, I took a quick glance and learned that Tony is familar with at least parts of Jeff Wayne's "War of the worlds" ;-).
Last edited by Wolfgang on 23 Nov 2017, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wolfgang wrote:Mine arrived as well, I took a quick glance and leaned that Tony is familar with at least parts of Jeff Wayne's "War of the worlds" ;-).
Wonders never cease!

Mine arrived this morning, can't wait to devour it. Thanks, Tony.

PS: Rob - I hope you can find a cure for your oversized head.... :D
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

You thought your post was late, Rob. Mine arrived at 3.15pm, which is normal for us these days. The journal looks great and the cover is stunning. Thanks Tony for what promises to be another super issue. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

maybe its the same postman, on a bicycle, travelling all over the country, lol! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

A truly great journal - thanks to Tony and all the wonderful contributors.
Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Just to rub it in, mine arrived as well, praise be to the Royal Mail for their fast international delivery.

Beautiful piece of work it is, too. Couldn't take more than a cursory glance when I arrived home from work. Rock was wanting my attention and later there was a comp on where I had to take part in. But the break with a cuppa was rather good... for the team result, too by the way.

I did, however, read Julie's piece about the autumn/winter reads and her motivation to curl up in a cosy living room with a cuppa and some nice Eb book. I feel the same and it also takes me back to my - much later - childhood. Those that know me better might remember that Rat-A-Tat is my go-to read whenever I'm down with a cold, a serious one that confines me to the house, that is.
As much as it may lack in terms of the plot - and that has been discussed here at length - it still excells at giving you that at-home feeling of childhood pleasures and passtimes. I for one like the EB heroes to do things normal kids do as well, like skating (rather them than me!), tobbogganing and listening to the wireless (you really can't say radio here, can you?).
The plot of Rat-A-Tat is quite nice as a matter of fact, the finish is just too bland and doesn't see much of the children taking action on their own. The German editors took the liberty of altering the last few chapters and adding some more, which makes it nicer.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
timv

Post by timv »

My journal arrived yesterday afternoon (Thursday) too; thanks, Tony! I especially liked the article with the letters by the Victorian/ Edwardian Kirrins and a mention of the young Uncle Quentin; this gives us a hint of him and Aunt Fanny as cousins who knew each other as children, which I have always wondered about.

I like the exploration of the missing branch of the Kirrin family. Did anyone else note the hint given of one of the latter as a 'Simmy' - the dodgy ex-acrobat who turns up with his daughter Jo in 'Five Fall Into Adventure?
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've now read Anita's great article (part two) about The Mystery That Never Was, and I admit its encouraging me to read it again. Its never been a favourite book of mine (I had the same paperback edition that Anita had when I was about 13 and I read it just as I was leaving Blyton behind for a while) - but I now have a first edition with dust wrapper, which has been ready on my table by my chair for a few months waiting for me to read it. I think I'll give it another go. In my experience, reading original editions always helps somehow! Great article, Anita.

Also read Julie's article about seasonal reading - and I agree with all her choices - especially the Christmas story in The Treasury - one of my favourite Enid Blyton short stories. I know I mention 'Enid Blyton's Treasury' in my article - and I can't recommend it enough to anyone who doesn't own a copy. I'd say it was one of Enid's best short story collections - and all original stuff that had never appeared anywhere else before that.

Julie chooses some good stories - particularly the two Secret Seven books, which as a kid I always read around Bonfire Night (and still often do!) and even 'The Rat-a-Tat Mystery' which isn't my favourite Barney book, does indeed have a good wintry atmosphere. I would also add 'Five Get Into A Fix' and 'the Mystery of the Secret Room' for Winter reading, as well as 'Shock For the Secret Seven'. :-)

I hope you'll consider more articles like this, Julie - maybe one for Spring and Summer could be planned? ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well I'm glad I didn't read this thread yesterday as I'd have been very upset/worried as I didn't have my Journal. So instead, I had a nice surprise when it popped through the door this morning. :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote: Also read Julie's article about seasonal reading - and I agree with all her choices - especially the Christmas story in The Treasury - one of my favourite Enid Blyton short stories.
As well as being in The Treasury, I have just compared it to the story in the red Christmas Stories book. This lacks the wonderful illustrations, and also the Christmas tree is no longer described as gay. :|
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Great looking Journal, and lovely Autumn cover.

I've already read, Ilsa's contribution. And very interesting about "Simmy". Now we know why Jo looks like George's twin.! :)

I've read and enjoyed Anita's, again I must give that book another read.

Interesting article from you as usual Rob. Nice that you made a mention to the story, "Well, My Father Says."

It's a great story, and the Treasury is just full of stories I love to read, again and again.

I'll write more when I've read more! :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks julie! :-D

yes - i will always plug 'Enid Blyton's Treasury'! Such a great book. Everyone who doesn't own it, ask for a copy for Christmas!! :lol:

I found all the details about the illustrations in various editions of 'The Mystery That Never Was' very interesting. I have several editions of that book, as I have the paperback, the first edition, plus two Collins editions which I've got for sale on ebay - so I was able to check out what Anita was talking about. Funny how the illustrations, where the red overlay used to be in the first edition, have been completed with black lines in the Collins edition, but as Anita says, in the paperback the gaps are just left. I do wonder why they didn't use the Collins illustrations in the paperback!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I very much enjoyed Anita's article on The Mystery That Never Was, I've always had a great fondness for that book with all it's flaws, it was quite likely the first Enid Blyton adventure story I ever read. Rob's article is an unusual take on reviewing some favourite stories, I love it, and I enjoyed Ilsa's The Secret of the Old Letters, Enid's contributions are a joy to read as always but the FF Boy Zone quiz is proving very tricky.
Last edited by Kate Mary on 26 Nov 2017, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member