Journal 61

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Journal 61

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm looking forward to reading all the articles, Pete.

I always love reading Angela Canning's articles, so the one listed should be a good one. And I always love Enid's accounts of From My Window. So I guess they'll be the ones I will look at first. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Although I enjoy all the articles, for me its always the things written by Enid that are the most interesting, purely because they are 'new' things written by Enid!

Other than those, I love the whole Journal and enjoy everyone's writing. If you contribute, you're worthy of a mention, because YOU keep the Journal afloat - because not many members contribute. If they did, the Journal would be in a very healthy state indeed. :-D

The Christmas Book is well worth finding in its original hardback edition, Pete. I got lucky last year and was able to replace my old copy without a DJ for a proper jacketed copy which wasn't too expensive. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Rob Houghton wrote:- because not many members contribute. If they did, the Journal would be in a very healthy state indeed. :-D
I think the problem here is that a lot of people simply don't realise that they would be allowed to contribute.
When I first came here I had no idea that any member was allowed to offer some writing or an article - I thought that because the journal was so high quality the contributors must be experts or official writers or people who had been involved with Enid's work in some way, either acting in things (such as Gary and Marcus etc) or family and friends, or artists for her books etc, you get my drift!

Its only since I've been here a long time that I've realised that any member would be welcome to write a piece.

Perhaps we need a notice or a thread that tells people they're welcome to contribute, and which sets out the do's and don't's for what to do, and what would be accepted, etc, because at the moment I think people are unsure as to whether it would be allowed and how to go about it.

We have so many intelligent, knowledgeable people here, and I'm sure that if there was a proper notice telling everyone that articles would be welcome, and giving details about what to do, it would encourage people to contribute.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree - I guess that's how I thought at first - but on the other hand when I first subscribed to the Journal (my first issue was number 9!) - most of the contributors were experts, actors, producers, publishers or relatives of Enid etc. Gradually over the years the Journal has evolved, and I think its great that it is now very much 'owned' by those who subscribe to it, and that pretty much anyone can contribute.

All people need to do is to think of a good theme or topic and write about it. The fact is, everyone has their own interests, likes and dislikes, and the more diverse, the better. Things are kept fresh if subjects are seen from different angles and written by contributors with different opinions. Some people would never dream of writing an article, but I'm sure there are a few 'on the fence' who would if they thought it was okay to do so. And I would say it's very much 'okay to do so'. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:
pete9012S wrote:
The Happy House Trilogy – Part 2: by Anita Bensoussane (46)
I'm looking forward to reading this article as I'm currently reading the two in one volume at the moment.
:wink:
It does sound a bit of an anomaly to be reading a "two in one volume" of a "trilogy". :) However, the third book is the odd man out in some respects and I can see why it has been neglected by publishers.
pete9012S wrote:Looking over the list of articles I don't know whether to go to the three or four that intrigue me the most,or just plough through the Journal in chronological order.
I usually read the Journal articles in order as it's nice not to know what's coming up next (okay, so I know I've already read the contents page but I haven't exactly committed it to memory!)
pete9012S wrote:Finally,I notice at the very end a reference to the Famous Five 'Adult Books'....
I may have ordered one of these in error on my kindle late at night as I pressed the 'reserve your copy ' button by mistake.
Hope it's a good'un. I wasn't impressed with the Brexit Island one. It gave me the odd chuckle in chapters 5 and 6, but that was about it!
pete9012S wrote:Anyway,enough about me.Which articles are you all looking forward to most? :D
It's too difficult to choose! I particularly love anything to do with the short stories though, as they don't tend to get discussed as often.
Carlotta King wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:- because not many members contribute. If they did, the Journal would be in a very healthy state indeed. :-D
I think the problem here is that a lot of people simply don't realise that they would be allowed to contribute.
When I first came here I had no idea that any member was allowed to offer some writing or an article - I thought that because the journal was so high quality the contributors must be experts or official writers or people who had been involved with Enid's work in some way, either acting in things (such as Gary and Marcus etc) or family and friends, or artists for her books etc, you get my drift!

Its only since I've been here a long time that I've realised that any member would be welcome to write a piece.

I thought that too at first - that only people like Great-uncle Robert or Mr. Smellie would be qualified to write for the Journal! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I thought that too at first - that only people like Great-uncle Robert or Mr. Smellie would be qualified to write for the Journal! :wink:
Well, I do qualify as being 'Great Uncle Robert' as both my nieces now have babies! Hopefully not Mr Smellie though! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I read the journal from front to back regardless of any article that particularly takes my eye. I will admit I am interested in finding out which Find Outer book is Julie's favourite though.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I really do miss not being a Society member & not receiving my journal. :cry: All of my available funds have been tied up in a business venture, which means I can't allow myself little luxuries such as the Society membership, etc. However, It's not all doom & gloom, as I should be able to re-subscribe early next year..if all goes according to plan! :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm also interested to hear about Julie's choice of favourite Find-Outer book. I enjoy articles like that, which have a personal touch - which is why I wrote my 'Desert Island Books' articles. I think its interesting to see people's choices of favourite books - and to find out the reasons why. I did attempt to try to encourage other people to write 'Desert Island' articles but so far no one has! I thought it could perhaps have become a regular part of the Journal. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

number 6 wrote:I really do miss not being a Society member & not receiving my journal. :cry: All of my available funds have been tied up in a business venture, which means I can't allow myself little luxuries such as the Society membership, etc. However, It's not all doom & gloom, as I should be able to re-subscribe early next year..if all goes according to plan! :D
That'll be great! Hope you have can make it next year. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

It sounds a great Journal, I really must finish reading the last one though. :oops:
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I am very looking forward to reading all the articles!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope you're able to resubscribe soon, Number 6!
Rob Houghton wrote:I'm also interested to hear about Julie's choice of favourite Find-Outer book. I enjoy articles like that, which have a personal touch - which is why I wrote my 'Desert Island Books' articles. I think its interesting to see people's choices of favourite books - and to find out the reasons why. I did attempt to try to encourage other people to write 'Desert Island' articles but so far no one has! I thought it could perhaps have become a regular part of the Journal. :-)
I also like articles which have a personal touch and I'll be interested to see which Find-Outers title is Julie's favourite. After reading your 'Desert Island Books' article I got as far as making a list of my Top Ten books, Rob, thinking I might take up the challenge and write my own 'Desert Island' article. I then remembered it was meant to be a Top Eight and agonised over which two to leave out! Having finally ditched two titles, I realised I'd have to reread my eight books in order to do them justice - and I'm afraid I didn't have the time! Besides, I'd already written about some of my choices in previous Journal articles so I was worried that I might not be able to find enough fresh things to say about them.

Having said that, writing about one's 'Desert Island Books' would be ideal for anyone who hasn't submitted anything for the Journal before. I for one would love to read more articles on that!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I got as far as making a list of my Top Ten books, Rob, thinking I might take up the challenge and write my own 'Desert Island' article. I then remembered it was meant to be a Top Eight and agonised over which two to leave out! Having finally ditched two titles, I realised I'd have to reread my eight books in order to do them justice - and I'm afraid I didn't have the time! Besides, I'd already written about some of my choices in previous Journal articles so I was worried that I might not be able to find enough fresh things to say about them.

Having said that, writing about one's 'Desert Island Books' would be ideal for anyone who hasn't submitted anything for the Journal before. I for one would love to read more articles on that!
I agree, its a great way to start writing for The Journal. Sometimes people might feel they have to be more academic, but I think personal feelings about a book are way more interesting.

I had the same trouble, choosing books, and I admit, during the writing of my articles (which I wrote in segments) a couple of the books did change! In truth I have so many favourites, I could easily write another instalment! In the end, as can be seen in my articles, I decided on the books I felt had most influenced me as a child, and those that I had particular memories of.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Rob Houghton wrote:Sometimes people might feel they have to be more academic, but I think personal feelings about a book are way more interesting.
Yes you're right, I think that's part of the reason I never thought that articles from 'everyday Joe Bloggs' would be accepted - the journal is aimed at 'adult collectors' so I assumed that the articles would have to be scholarly and serious and expert, but I love reading people's personal accounts and opinions etc and it's great that people can write all about their personal feelings about Enid's books! :)
Anita Bensoussane wrote: I thought that too at first - that only people like Great-uncle Robert or Mr. Smellie would be qualified to write for the Journal! :wink:
I don't think Great Uncle Robert would ever get an article written - he always falls asleep as soon as he gets his papers out! :D
Or as Snubby calls it - nodding over a pipe!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member