Journal 55

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Journal 55

Post by Daisy »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:How terrible it would be if the Secret Seven and Find-Outers were one day to look back upon their shed/workroom as "a musty, rotten shack crawling with spiders"!
You could be describing my shed, Anita!
And a good many more up and down the land - including ours! :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Out of interest, I had a look inside my shed this morning. Yes, it's the same as everyone's, musty, damp and full of spiders. But what's really irking me is, where has she put the extention cord?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I mislaid my copy, but have now found it! I will settle down with it later. :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am enjoying reading the current Journal at leisure, savouring the delights like a malt whisky. I won't go over points already made as I am in agreement with them. However, enjoyable as all the articles which I have read so far are, some are worth extra comment.

I loved reading the newspaper articles from the Leyton Express and Independent and Stratford Express, although the latter sounds rather like a fast train out of Marylebone. The following parts are of interest:
LE&I wrote:Her stories are nevertheless read not only by the young but by adults also. Her simplicity and power of easy but delightful description are a pleasant from of relaxation.
As that appeared in 1949, it would seem that adults have always enjoyed reading Blyton!
There is no doubt why her books sell well. She has an ideal and simple philosophy.
That just about sums it up.
SE wrote:...[then] you come to the simple detective mysteries for teen-agers
It would seem then that Enid wrote the Find-Outer's books for 13+ children. I'm sure I read them aged around 8.
not to push classics down childrens' throats...this is harmful and they should not be left to read them of their own accord
I agree. I have been put of many books from my schooldays for being force-fed classics. Having said that, there is no harm in discussing classics in the classroom.
Horror and love-interest should be kept out of children's books
Maybe that explains the under-development of the Cunningham-Mannering courtship!

Cory Roberts' article, Growing Up with Enid Blyton was another riveting read. I echo the fact that his favourite author until the age of 12 was Blyton. Like Cory, I then thought I should grow out of Enid's books and then, later in life, again like Cory, I returned to them. Yes, it was a long-lost world and a reminder of my childhood.
apart from the wireless, which in any event did not cater for children
I certainly remember children's programmes on the wireless. For the very young there was Listen With Mother, and then Children's Hour ran throughout the war years (before my time) until 1964. There were regular programmes such as Jennings at School and Norman and Henry Bones episodes, also Toytown, one of the best loved parts of Children's Hour. 36 stories about the inhabitants of a happy, sunny, carefree land written by book illustrator , S. G. Hulme Beaman. They were first broadcast in the 1930's, and many times since.

I see Cory identified her home village of Southborough as Peterswood. I identified this with my home village of West Harnham as Peterswood - one reason why Bourne End seems nothing like Peterswood to me!

Lastly, for the moment, what a delightful story Spot Goes to Fairland was. Published in 1925, it was a joy to read. I will certainly be reading this to my grandson this Christmas! It was also interesting to note that the witch's cat was called Spitfire - giving a Blyton connection to our own Spitfire's username! The icing on the cake for this short story was the incredibly charming illustrations by Kathleen Nixon.

What a box of delights the Journal is, to be sure.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:
SE wrote:...[then] you come to the simple detective mysteries for teen-agers
It would seem then that Enid wrote the Find-Outer's books for 13+ children. I'm sure I read them aged around 8.
The list at the back of The Story of My Life says the Find-Outers books are intended for two age groups:
7-11 and "older children".
Moonraker wrote:Cory Roberts' article, Growing Up with Enid Blyton was another riveting read. I echo the fact that his favourite author until the age of 12 was Blyton. Like Cory, I then thought I should grow out of Enid's books and then, later in life, again like Cory, I returned to them.
I remember my parents saying to me when I was only 10 that I ought to be growing out of Enid Blyton. I felt so sad at the thought of a life without Fatty, Bets, Jack, Lucy-Ann and all the others that I locked myself in the bathroom and cried! I continued to read Enid Blyton books but became more secretive about it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think I 'found' Agatha Christie in my late teens and moved on. It was only on spying The Island of Adventure in my mother-in-law's bookcase that re-awakened my devotion to her books. I might have 'secretly' read some books as a teenager, but Enid Blyton's weren't any of them!
Society Member
Moonraker

Angela Canning

Post by Moonraker »

Another fine article from the pen of Angela Canning. I have never read Enid's religious books, so found her article of interest. I hadn't realised that Eileen Soper had illustrated The Children's LIFE OF CHRIST, and was delighted to see Timmy on the front cover, standing in his familiar way at the stable entrance in Bethlehem!

In Jesus' later life, Angela wonders why his first miracle at the wedding at Cana by turning water into wine wasn't referred to. Probably quite a simple explanation. Maybe Enid did not want to bring a mention of alcohol to her young readers. We only know too well what one of our younger friends thinks of alcohol!

I had to smile at her comments concerning the sick man who was let down into a house through the roof. Angela hopes that the householders were insured to cover the cost of roof repairs!

I must say I had always thought that Jesus did have siblings in later years, although Roman Catholics have always decreed that Mary only had Jesus and had remained a virgin. It was interesting to note that Aramaic words for brothers and sisters were the same as for other relations - including the Disciples. I suppose it isn't all the odd, as today trades union members refer to each other as Brother/Sister so and so.

The final part of Angela's article describing Enid's remarkable spiritual experience was mind-blowing. I have heard similar stories from patients who suffered cardiac arrest in the operating theatre - and then successfully resuscitated. Angelas reminder of St Paul's comment also backed this up and was thought provoking.
Angela Cannings wrote:In this secular age when Christianity is knocked and thrown out of the window, we need someone like Enid with her compelling writing to strike enthusiasm into millions all over the world.
Of course, in the era that Enid wrote, a different religion meant you were either Roman Catholic, Anglican or Methodist (other sects were available)! In today's multi-cultural/religious Britain it isn't so simple. She would be aware of the world's other religions and that many of her readers may follow them - much as her foreign readers would have in the 1940's . However, her British readers were either Christians or non-believers. I wonder how she would have included other world religions if she was writing today.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

It was one of the best articles for me as well - the “What puzzles me about Enid” article by Angela Canning. She makes some thought provoking points and it is an in depth analysis of the ‘religious’ stories.
I still have one article to read. I've been too busy lately to put down my thoughts on the journal, but it's been a very enjoyable one to read. I made a start on updating the index, and will have that ready one of these days.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

A most enjoyable journal. I spread it out over a few sessions.
It’s always interesting to read the articles by Enid Blyton - the letters and stories. The letters give an insight into how she thought and how things were back then.

The ‘desert island’ Blytons is a good idea for a topic. If I had to make a list I think I would also go back to the first books I remember reading. Somehow these ones remain special.
I also enjoyed the quotes in The Secret Island article.

The last article on collecting reminded me of my own mission to collect all the Famous Five books in hardback, although I wasn’t too bothered about the edition. Having got all the 21 books with or without dustjackets, I then set about trying to get all with dustjackets. I managed to pick up some bargains on the way and some old editions too.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'd be interested to read more articles on people's Enid Blyton collections - how they got started, exactly which books/series/ephemera they collect and why, and how they've managed to track down elusive books or other items. I'm sure many collectors must have fascinating anecdotes to share.
Lenoir wrote:I made a start on updating the index, and will have that ready one of these days.
Goodo! :D I always save the index to my computer and refer to it regularly.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I always save the index to my computer and refer to it regularly too, Anita. It is most useful, Lenoir and I really appreciate the effort you make to produce it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Pleased you liked the Desert Island Blyton's idea. I'm now trying to decide what other books to include - it's a difficult choice, as I like so many, but I'm choosing them by taking into account the effect certain books have had on me through my life from an early age...all except one, which I first read as an adult. ;-)
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 28 Dec 2014, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote:Pleased you liked the Dessert Island Blyton's idea.

:mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

LOL! I thought that looked wrong when I typed it - in fact, I altered it from 'desert' because it looked wrong! Oh well - looks like the sort of Island Enid would have approved of! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It sounds like something that might appear at the top of the Faraway Tree! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)