Journal Jitters

What did you think of the latest Journal?
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Journal Jitters

Post by pete9012S »

I'm sure Nigel knows what you mean Rob.
I like Nigel and I'd like to buy him a pint or two of very good real ale sometime,but I doubt if £10 would even buy more than about three pints in some parts of the country!

Slightly off topic:
Members of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) could not believe their findings when they discovered many landlords charging unsuspecting punters as much as 50p MORE for a half pint than half the cost of a full pint.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/572420 ... -full-pint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'd definitely buy Nigel a pint or two...! :D

I'm sure we'd have some good discussions over a pint.

The 50p extra for a half pint reminded me of when I went for a meal with a friend yesterday. She ordered a quarter chicken dinner...and the waitress informed her it was cheaper to have half a chicken. So she had half - and only ate a quarter - there are some strange prices about! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A pint of poor quality Doom Bar and a J2O orange drink cost £6.40 in a local pub the other evening. Only £3.60 more would buy a year's subscription to the Journal.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Was the Doom Bar of poor quality because of the way it was kept or is it inherently so?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Due to poor bar/cellar skills. I would imagine it was towards the end of the barrel, and a lot of sediment was sucked up by the pull. I told the barman the beer reminded me of a week in Wales. He was happy to change it, but should have noticed it himself. It isn't the first pint I've had to return in this establishment.

Sorry to prolong off-topic discussion, but felt it polite to answer the question.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Indeed, thanks.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have never done this before, but after Nicko's comments above I thought I might just try it!
Looking forward to November!!! :)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The point Tony was making is important and will apply to a number of subscribers. Some will not have realised that if they don't resubscribe reasonably early, they may miss out on a Journal.
My November Journal is still paid for and will arrive in a few weeks.
So is re-subscribing in early January too late to get the March journal with the new subscription?
Sorry if I missed the point in this discussion. :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:Chrissie, I think the Enid Blyton Society itself has existed for longer than these forums have. :wink:
Thanks, Courtenay. I didn't know about that.
So how was EBS working before there were forums? Just curious...
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Before the forums the EB Society was mainly about EB Days and The Journal. I think quite a few of us also corresponded with Tony through the post, or occasionally by phone, as I did in early days, and we ordered Society booklets, and special limited editions (such as the Famous Five play and the Five on a Treasure Island limited edition video) from order forms supplied with The Journal. I was a member for around 5 years before the website came into being. It was a lot less easy to find anything out about Blyton books without The Cave - although I purchased each of Tony's 'bibliographies' which list every EB book known to be published up until the mid 1970's. It was invaluable in those days as there was no website.

The Journals were more 'important' in those days because they were the major way to communicate with other EB members, via the letters page, mainly. The website is brilliant for keeping in touch with other EB members, but has, unfortunately, seemed to push the Journal into second place, which is a BIG shame, as we all know.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Robert, my history with Blyton goes back to the fall of 1965. That's when I started collecting suspenseful EB books.
When I finally had access to the Internet at work in 1998, I was doing private research on so many other things (mostly classic US TV series like "Peyton Place", there was a gorgeous British website on PP which doesn't exist any longer) that EB was for a while on the back burner (right term?).
Even though I never stopped reading EB books, I went through phases where other things were more important for a while. But in the end I always returned to reading EB :).

I didn't find out about Tony and EBS before the summer of 2008 when my husband André worked in the UK. He knows (and supports) my fascination with EB books, did some research on the Internet and found the Yahoo Enid Blyton Group for me. That was in August 2008 when I came to the UK to stay with André for 4 months.
I joined Yahoo EB Group right away and THEN at some point heard about EBS.
It took me a few years before I joined EBS (the rather difficult registering process kept me post-poning it, André was working a lot in Algeria now (so I had no technical help at home) plus when we finally had enough time to go through the registering he had a hard time creating my EBS avatar as it has to have a certain size/pixels).

Don't know exactly WHEN I finally found out about the EBS Journal, but my guess is 2012 or 2013 (in any case Ilsa gave me 10 or 11 EBS Journals when we met at the Spade Oak last year and that got me really interested). At first in 2012 or 2013 I didn't have a real clear idea what the journal is all about, so I didn't pay much attention to it. As a matter of fact, I was busy for many many months just finding old threads about the FF and the Adventure series on EBS and also was thrilled with discovering "new" EB books like "The Hollow Tree House" and "The Secret Island". I barely found the time to catch up on new threads, because I was busy reading old threads.
So this is my own EBS Journal story and maybe other new members didn't find out about the journal for similar reasons?
I guess that everybody has a different reason for joining EBS, many people want to interact with other forumites, others want to sell their EB collections or do research on EB etc.
Wish English would be my native language and I could get to the point in a better way. But this is as good as I can explain why it took me years to become aware of the journal.

Before that my only way of looking up EB books was Barbara Stoney's EB biography (1974) which I ordered in 1978 from the UK through a German bookstore which took many weeks and I had to pay about 3 times as much as I would have paid for it in England.
My first trip to England was in May 1981. At the beginning of our trip we visited Beaconsfield (we stayed for a few nights at the Whitbread Hotel and took the train to London).
In London I ordered all 8 hardcover copies from the Adventure series at Boyle's in London (what an amazing, huge bookstore!) and 3 weeks later picked them up, before we took the ferry back to Calais.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Chrissie777 wrote: So is re-subscribing in early January too late to get the March journal with the new subscription?
Why don't you re-subscribe immediately when you see a renewal form in your Journal, Chrissie?
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

I saw that question coming, Nigel. :wink:
To be honest, we just returned from a quite expensive and long trip to Germany and Austria, I'm not working any longer and that why I rather would like to wait until December when André gets his xmas bonus.
For me it's 20 or 25 £ (I forgot how much it is, but will find out), because of the overseas shipping.
Hopefully the resubscribe-reminder will be attached to my November issue and then I can take care of it in December.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

£20 Chrissie - and that doesn't cover the cost, so do feel free to send £25 if you would rather! :lol:

The postage swallows three quarters of it.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

No big deal, Tony. :D
I'll send £ 25 in December and hope that will be early enough for you to send me the March 2016 EBS Journal, so I won't miss any issue.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock