Journal 51

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 51

Post by Eddie Muir »

I read the complete Journal last night and I thoroughly enjoyed doing so. It is crammed with superb articles and fascinating information and is excellent value, as always, for the small subscription paid. Congratulations to all concerned and especially to Tony for all his sterling efforts in producing such a fine publication. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I read it from cover to cover yesterday afternoon, only stopping on the illustrations article near the end. Rather strange, as it was in a different typeface to the rest of the Journal. Will complete it later. A fantastic issue. If I can summon the energy, I will write my thoughts on it later!
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Fiona1986 wrote:I was surprised to see mine on the sofa when I came home from work. Somehow I wasn't expecting it to be out so soon! Obviously I've not paid enough attention to the forums lately.
I was surprised too, and hadn't expected it quite so soon - it was a very good surprise!

Journal 51 is fabulous. I read the first few items yesterday, and between learning more about Enid's early life and poring over the photos of the houses she'd lived in, enjoying her simplistic fairy-story and wondering at the ease with which she carries me away; then becoming absorbed in Robert Houghton's and John Lester's thoughtful articles about Those Dreadful Children and two Secret Seven stories respectively, I had a very pleasant afternoon indeed.

I see that up next is a very intriguing Poppy-related adventure.

I can't wait!
:D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

Yes another great bumper issue and a big thanks to Tony and all those who contributed articles. It was especially nice to read Angela Canning's excellent account of our visit to Beckenham and to see the houses we all saw. No wonder my feet ached on the way home! Thank you everyone.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have managed to read the first half of this hugely entertaining and varied Journal. I had intended to read only Angela Canning's article on the Beckenham outing but swiftly became engrossed and read on and on. Angela's article was brilliantly done and I'm sure will bring back fond memories of that day for all who were lucky enough to attend. Whatever happened to the poison bottle? Did anyone keep it? How exciting to think it may have been the very bottle which, ironically, restored our heroine to life.

Rob Houghton's detailed exploration of Those Dreadful Children came to a very satisfying conclusion. Rob certainly knows how to research an article. This is a book that I have not read in years. I will take it down and dust it off soon hopefully.

The story of the Jabernolls and the ball of Golden Fire was fabulous; classic Blyton. What a pity so many of these stories are all but lost. It's a good thing that Tony has brought so many of them back to life with the society publications. I shall try to scrape up cash for some of the new booklets as soon as I can.

John Lester wrote a most thought provoking piece on the Secret Seven. I actually didn't think that Secret Seven Win Through was all that bad but I can certainly agree that it is the poorer of the two books. I think he identified the problem himself early on in the article when he said that 20,000 words is not much for an adventure and the seven characters don't get enough individual development.

Then Poppy's excellent story of her day filming the Famous Five scene. It sounded marvellously exciting and Poppy is an extremely good writer. I was glad to hear that the sausage sandwiches for lunch didn't have the same effect as the sausage sandwiches in The Rilloby Fair Mystery though. :lol: That was neatly followed up by some marvellous colour photos though I actually preferred the black and white ones inside Poppy's article, and then by David Rudd's piece about the Seven Stories exhibition overall. Once again I can only say that this sounds amazing and I hope that I can make it up to "The Toon" one day to see it.

Lots more still to come over the next couple of days but this Journal has already proved more than worth the tiny price which Tony charges for it.:D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

An interesting issue of the Journal. I have not read much of it yet, they are a rare treat so I like to savour them, so far just Tony's editorial, Angela's account of the trip to Beckenham and Poppy's piece about being George for Seven Stories (good article, Poppy). Plenty more to look forward to, but what caught my eye was the back cover displaying the new Society booklets, within an hour of receiving my Journal, I was on my laptop ordering them.

It is a pity I have to go to work, I quite fancy sitting in the shade in my garden with a long, cool drink and the Journal. Oh well, duty calls.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Another amazing issue, bursting at the seams with an enticing assortment of articles. Highlights for me included Poppy's tremendous account of her days as George. It was lively and detailed with some lovely touches of humour and it was fabulous to have an insight into what went on behind the scenes of the Famous Five clip, especially as Tony and I were lucky enough to have the chance to watch it at Seven Stories (and meet Poppy!) when we went to Newcastle in May. David Rudd's write-up of the Enid Blyton Exhibition also brought back some wonderful memories. I enjoyed meeting him and chatting to him, having read his book Enid Blyton and the Mystery of Children's Literature several times - it's a very academic volume but gives the reader plenty of food for thought.

Angela Canning's article was a super reminder of the Beckenham trip, and Blyton's 'From My Window' article about a "Wakeful Night" at the Attenboroughs' house in Oakwood Avenue was an apt choice to go with it.

The Jobbernolls and the Ball of Golden Fire was a treat, containing many imaginative elements that are typical of Blyton's early Fairlyland stories, with charming illustrations by Sylvia Venus. How nice for Tony to feature in an Enid Blyton tale!

It was interesting to learn about illustrator R. Paul-Hoye from his son Leo. Who'd have thought that R. Paul-Hoye had modelled Bom the toy drummer-boy on his eldest son Nicholas?!

Lots of other great articles too, but those were the highlights for me this time!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Super duper, Journal 51. I've not finished reading it all as yet. But loved Poppy's encounter of her being George. How fabulous for a youngster to be able to achieve this. Loved reading Angel's article about our day at Beckenham. Brought back just how smashing the day really was.

Will read more of the articles later. :D

Thanks, Tony.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I received my journal today and have very much enjoyed the few articles I have read so far which includes David Rudd's piece about the Enid Blyton Exhibition, Angela Canning's article about the visit to Beckenham (It sounded great fun!), and Julie's 'Smuggler Ben' piece. The rest, I thoroughly look forward to and those I have rest so far are simply wonderful. Well done, Tony and the other contributors on a fantastic 51st edition!

( Thank you all for your lovely compliments! )
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I devoured my copy on Saturday along with a good pint or so of ice cold (fiery) ginger beer! I normally start with the editorial and then pick and choose the articles dependent on my mood but this time I read it from cover to cover, in order! My wife thought I was quite ill :D

It really is difficult to pick out any highlights as a thoroughly enjoyed all the articles but I di enjoy John's look at the SS (although I totally disagree with him with regards to the quality of Win Through as it is one of my favourite stories) and Anita's look at Noddy. Poppy's day as George was a wonderful read and in conjunction with David's look at the Seven Stories Exhibition it has convinced me that a slight diversion when visiting customers in Newcastle is required.

Another super journal, I'm sure it will be read, another couple of times at least, before joining the others on the shelf. Now, journal 52.......................
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nick wrote:I did enjoy John's look at the SS (although I totally disagree with him with regards to the quality of Win Through as it is one of my favourite stories)...
As a child I liked the idea of the Seven meeting in a cave for a change, but as an adult I miss the more usual ritual of piling into the shed. When I rate a Blyton book highly, it's generally because the plot is cleverly structured and intriguing (as well as the characters, ambience and style being appealing). Secret Seven Win Through isn't quite as ingenious as some of the others but I do love the scene involving hiding up a tree, and the scarecrow-hunt. Scarecrows are just something I happen to like very much (like lighthouses and castles and puffins and grandfather clocks and ships in bottles and china tea-sets...) so I enjoy the story partly because it features scarecrows! I agree with John Lester that it's not such a "jolly good adventure" as the characters and author claim, but it certainly has some "jolly good elements".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have now finished the Journal and what a superb issue it was. I really enjoyed Anita's Noddy article. I read it avidly; more than can be said for any Noddy book as I have never actually read a whole one despite having several on my shelves. I'm just not a fan of his at all. Some of the changes highlighted by Anita really do defy all logic and I completely agree that it is ludicrous to accuse Blyton of using boring or non challenging language when it is actually the publishers who are stripping out words and phrases which would educate a child as in the example of "lolloping".

I also love Smuggler Ben and so was delighted to read Julie's excellent piece on that book. I have the same edition as you Julie (the Mystery Stories one) and I look forward to your review of the other Pollock book The Secret of Cliff Castle in the next issue. It's another tremendously exciting story.

Terry Gustaffson's article was very interesting and well written as always, particularly his points about the much maligned Mr Goon. Together with all the unusual and rare little snippets and columns from the lady herself it all added up to a most varied and enjoyable read. Many thanks for yet another superb job Tony. I am sure that putting it together is no easy task but it has again been well worth it. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thank you, John. Glad you enjoyed it. It's a really lovely book Smuggler Ben. I hope I can do justice too when I write about The Secret of Cliff Castle. :)

Almost finished the Journal now, I've been saviouring it all! :) I love reading Enid's From My Window. You can almost hear her speaking those words. Terry's article made good reading as did John Lester and the Secret Seven.

Just got Anita's to read now and David Rudd's. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

The latest Journal was in my letterbox when I came home. It looks great and I like the cover and the blue text. Looking forward to reading it.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Great Journal - Thanks Tony. And also thanks for including the Famous Five Sweater advert too! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member