Journal Covers

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Katharine

Re: Journal Covers

Post by Katharine »

I just asked my 7 year old which set of covers did she prefer, and it was a mixture between the latest ones and the previous ones. My first reaction when I saw the new covers was that I didn't like them, but having just seen the previous ones then I must admit they are an improvement. Nowhere as good as the originals of course, but I suspect that school boys in long socks wearing macs and school caps probably wouldn't appeal to modern children.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If you are looking for Secret Seven cover pics, Nick, this should please both you and Julie. Coming out in September this year.

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Now that's what you call a cover. Lovely. Is that going to be a new book, Tony, or is it a reprint of the Adventure Treasury I also have by Mary and Norman?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks very much for posting the covers of those Secret Seven books, Tony. I also like them, they look very eerie and exciting. My sister loves the Horrid Henry books, and I have often seen lots of Tony Ross illustrations, as well as seeing the program hundreds of times! His drawings are quite like Quentin Blake's - I have always thought. Is there any special occasion for the new book covers coming out? There was some to celebrate the Famous Five's 70th anniversary, so perhaps it's the Secret Seven's birthday soon? :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just a reprint of the Adventure Treasury I'm afraid, Julie.

I am in agreement with you, Poppy, I think Tony Ross is very similar to Quentin Blake in style and I like both illustrators. There is no special occasion here, it is simply that every so often publishers like to update covers to give the books a fresh look. This is why you can see so many reprints of all the main series, such as the Famous Five, when you look in the Cave. The first six books come out in May, the next six in July and the final three in September, which is why I haven't yet added illustrations for the last three.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for that Tony! Yes, and a very nice fresh look, too! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Although I am usually a traditionalist (old fogie) with covers, I do like the new SS ones. They are quirly and as has been said, give a flavour of gaiety, fun and dynamics.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also like the new covers and I look forward to the reprint of the Adventure Treasury.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member