Journal 50

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 50

Post by Eddie Muir »

I read Journal 50 from cover to cover last night and enjoyed every single square inch of it. Many thanks to all who contributed to it and, of course, a special thanks to Tony for publishing it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I still don't have mine :(
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
misteriojuvenil
Favourite book/series: Five find outers
Favourite character: Fat

Post by misteriojuvenil »

Yesterday i received my 50th Journal. Congratulations to the 50th publications, I'm waiting for the other 50.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I read two more articles last night, Anita's about Noddy, which was very good, even though I have to admit I do not or have every read any Noddy books, but I liked the comments that Anita made about the changes etc. I also read Moral Problems by Enid Blyton, and found that interesting, for as soon as I started to read, Six Bad Boys sprang to my mind! The Pcychological Slant by Terry, was really very intersting, I just loved that too. I only have two more to read now, Lilian Buchanan and Enid and America, and then I've finished reading Journal 50. At least I can read it over again! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Fiona1986 wrote:I still don't have mine :(
As they were all posted at the same time it is a touch ironic that some Journals seem to have reached Australia before they have got to Scotland!! :roll: I had an email from Brisbane this morning saying that the Journal had arrived - and why wasn't Part 4 of Robert Houghton's article in it!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I hope you replied because he hadn't sent it on time, Tony!!!

I've just finished reading it all now. Very interesting about Lilian Buchanan. I'd love to see the 'Op's' painting that is in Middlesex. It looks lovely just from the small photo.

Intesting article by John Henstock - Enid in America, but he never mentioned one of my favourite characters - Kit Anthony Armstrong from The Boy Next Door. :lol:

A great bumper issue. Loved it all. Well done all the contributors and Tony. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Brilliant journal, a big thank you to Tony for putting in my little piece. I showed my article to my other half (I won't say better) and it went something like this.

Me "Look at this page in the journal"
Other Half (OH) "Why do I want to read that?"
Me "Just look at the top of the page"
OH reads
Me "Well"
OH "What, it's a bit of writing"
Me "Look at the top"
OH "Where?"
Daughter "Oh is that your article in the journal, can I see it?"
OH "Oh"

This might not be an accurate translation but it's pretty close, honest. Well at least my Daughter has an interest. In case anyone is interested my Son's comment was along the lines of "go away I'm playing my game", guess he takes after his Father.

Also when I read about Enid in America I had this feeling that someone had been left out, thanks for putting my mind at rest Julie.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Another great journal. The articles in this one were really top notch. I enjoyed Poppy's account of her day at Seven Stories very much and it was accompanied by a couple of great pictures of herself and our old friend Sue Webster. I also loved Pippa Stef's article even though I could only identify with half of it since I have never read the Lone Pine series. Nonetheless it was very interesting and extremely professionally written.

Anita as usual wrote a top quality article. Noddy is a Blyton phenomenon which has passed me completely by although I have a few battered old editions on my shelves. But it was fascinating (albeit infuriating) to read all those textual changes. I know we have discussed this issue endlessly on here but it really does wreck the lyrical flow of Enid's prose when publishers do this sort of thing. The comparison of the two Bicycle Spells nearly made me weep at what has been lost. I look forward to the next part of this one.

John Henstock's Enid in America was another enjoyable one. But is it ZerELda or ZerALda? The article continually spells it with an A but in the book it's spelt with two Es. A small point but one that kept jumping out at me. Our own Julie contributed yet another fine article with her exploration of Detective John and Angela Canning and Su rayton's articles were eagerly devoured also.

I particularly liked John Lester's comparison of the isles of Kirrin and Gloom. A marvellous study which showed us the best features and contrasts of these two fine first entries to two of Enid's greatest series'.

A wealth of beautiful colour images as always; the central celebration of the 50 journal covers was lovely. Who is the bespectacled man on the cover of number 8? He looks familiar and I am assuming he was an EBS day speaker but I cannot place him.

Overall this is a stunning journal. Not just for the fact that is yet another well written and beautifully crafted publication but also for what it represents. I assume that when the society started Tony must have had little more than an elementary webforum and a stack of books. Today we have 50 wonderful journals, a stack of highly collectable facsimile booklets, a worldwide membership and the most comprehensive bibliography to be found anywhere on the internet (and therefore the world). The society (or Tony at least) is consulted and quoted in major newspapers and thousands have attended the annual EBS Days in Twyford. A stunning achievement indeed. Thanks Tony. Long may you continue. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

We seem to have had two posts today for some reason and my journal came in the second one, hooray! Have read the first few articles and realised I must be getting very famous as I've been mentioned in an article again!

Just one question; in "A Tale of Two Islands" there are several quotes which have the book name or pages after, but after the one about meeting Bill (top of page 10) it has"ibid, pp. 113-114". What on earth is ibid?

The chap on the cover of journal 8 is Norman Meredith http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/jour ... .php?id=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

"Ibid" basically means same book. Therefore it's saying "same book different page". I think it's Latin.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I received my journal yesterday, and devoured it before going to bed last night. There was a great collection of articles, I thought - I would say particularly so, but then the articles are always of high quality. Many thanks to all the contributors, and especially to Tony. Roll on the next 50 editions! :D
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Can't wait to receive mine!
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Shadow - we all loved your contribution! Trouble is you can't make people love the things
you do, you just hope they will take an interest!
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Lucky Star wrote:"Ibid" basically means same book. Therefore it's saying "same book different page". I think it's Latin.
Thanks. I've never come across that term before.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona, glad to hear your journal finally arrived. I haven't had a chance to read mine yet, but from the comments from others, it sounds a good one.

Shadow, you have my sympathy, my article was also greeted with an overwhelming lack of enthusiasm in my household. :roll:

I can't wait to read Anita's article about Noddy. I love Noddy, in fact I'm slowly working my way through the whole series after finally managing to get hold of a copy of the 2nd book which I was missing. I will be especially interested in reading the bit about the bicycle spell. If it's the one I think it is, it was one of my favourites as it was in a Noddy book I've had since I was a child.
Society Member