Journal 50

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 50

Post by Eddie Muir »

Francis wrote:Hearing that Julie was married in 1970 cheered me up but then I realised that she must have been a child bride! Mind you learning that Anita was born in 1970 depressed me again. I won't tell her when I was born!
Chick and I will be celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary later this month, and so I think I must be older than almost everyone on the forums! :wink:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Well well. Issue no.50!

Thanks to all who have contributed articles over the years, and particular thanks of course to Tony!

Here's to the next 50! :D 8)
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: Halfway through reading about David Morton and Julian Kirrin...
I hope you enjoyed my reworked piece, Julie. Tony illustrated it beautifully!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

As Stef didn't tell me she'd sent that for the journal, I was wondering when someone mentioned that article! I don't tend to read the article titles/authors in advance as it just makes me too impatient.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Topping issue of a milestone Journal.

Highlights for me are Enid's article 'Moral Problems - Questions and Answers', how things have changed in sixty years, any such opinion being expressed nowadays would probably bring howls of outrage but in 1952 it was perfectly unexceptionable. I also very much enjoyed David Chambers article 'Where is Cuckoo Wood?' and William Connolly's 'Lilian Buchanan', an artist whose work is so familiar but which I knew nothing about.

Journals are a rare treat so I try to pace myself, I still have Anita's, Julie's, Stef's, Angela Canning's and several other articles to read so it should keep me going all week.

Thank you, Tony and all the contributors. I hope more people subscribe to the Journal it is an excellent read, I shall be renewing my subscription today.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

Congratulations to everyone who contributed to Journal 50 - read the whole thing last night and loved it.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Pippa-Stef wrote:
I hope you enjoyed my reworked piece, Julie. Tony illustrated it beautifully!
Yes, I have now completed your piece, Stef, and loved it. Especially as you say 'that is why you have such high standards in men' or something along those lines. Brilliant! I do hope you marry your Julian at some point in your life. I was enjoying the read and turned the page when I noticed your article had finished and the next, I have yet to read. That is because at the end of your peice there is no name and copyright symbol. I always know when a peice is ended because of this symbol. I wonder if the publishers missed it off?

I am halfway through Lilian Buchanan and are loving that too. This is such a good informative issue that I am savouring the time I'm reading it, and really holding back from finishing. :) I still have a few articles to read yet and have not read my own. But I have looked at it, and I do so love the pictures you have matched with the story, Tony - and I just love the wrap around picture of John Hollins going in through the gate and up the path to the cottage with my writing inside, as it were. A really lovely touch.

As mentioned the best Journal so far I think, and a credit to number 50. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: I was enjoying the read and turned the page when I noticed your article had finished and the next, I have yet to read. That is because at the end of your peice there is no name and copyright symbol.
Yes, I noticed that too, and wondered.

A fantastic Journal, I read the first half in one sitting, and once I have completed it I will post some comments.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I was enjoying the read and turned the page when I noticed your article had finished and the next, I have yet to read. That is because at the end of your peice there is no name and copyright symbol. I always know when a peice is ended because of this symbol. I wonder if the publishers missed it off?
I'm afraid I am going to have to get technical here, Julie. I'm the publisher!! I think you meant the printers, but it is not possible for them to change anything as they get the Journal as PDF files. The publisher left it off and it was intentional. You will see that Poppy's article and Su Rayton's also have no copyright under them. The reason for this is simple, as try as hard as I might, and believe me I did, I cannot fit it in without it going onto the next page. I have always tried to start a new article on a new page, but some magazines don't worry about this and are quite happy to have three or four lines at the top of a page before they start the next article. It makes my job harder, but I think it looks better, and occasionally the copyright bit has to go AWOL. However, if you look at the bottom of the editorial page, everything in the magazine is covered by copyright.

So you can blame the publisher here, and I will take it like a man! A tip for the future would be that if you turn the page and a new articles starts, it means that the previous one has finished! :D
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Tony Summerfield wrote:A tip for the future would be that if you turn the page and a new articles starts, it means that the previous one has finished! :D
:lol: :lol: Great tip, Tony, I'll take that on board.

Yes, you were right, I was thinking the printers had had to leave it off, as I did notice that there wouldn't be room for it at the end of the page.

I did notice the same with Poppy's but as a picture was there it wasn't as obvious. I still have Su's to read, as yet. Nice to know we are all still covered with copyright. I'd hate to think there is another Rosson out there lurking to steal again! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm delighted to say that my copy arrived in the post earlier today and it looks great. Delving into its sumptuous pages is a treat I'm reserving for this evening when I can relax and do the Journal justice. Many thanks for a splendid issue, Tony! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

I've read all the journal and it's a very good one. :D Thank you, Julie, for writing the article on Detective John as I never actually knew he existed! :) I also enjoyed the letter from Laddie and wondered if anybody ever solved his predicament! I thought I saw Those Dreadful Children - Part 2 on the online Contents List but it isn't in the journal. Am I mistaken? :?
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Those Dreadful Children part 3 was in journal 49, though I can't remember if there was supposed to be a part 4.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

There is a Part 4 coming, but unfortunately he emailed me and told me he was about to start writing it a week after I had sent the Journal to the printers. I am sure that he won't mind me saying it, but he is not very good with deadlines! :roll:
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Nothing wrong with Stef seeking a Julian in real life. A boy/man should respect girls/women
and be ready to protect them when needed. Reading the books as a boy was also inspiring and Julian was a great role model. The best things about the books was being able to discuss them with my sister.
Society Member