Journal 50

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Journal 50

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Katharine. Yes, my article looks at what amounted to a mid 1980s-early 1990s anomaly, as the full-length stories (though with updated texts which destroy some of the "Blytonness") were reinstated in 1992.
Katharine wrote:The fact that only the rhyme about Little Miss Bunny was printed I think is a shame as the whole point of the shortness of this rhyme compared to the one about Mr. Tubby Bear was that she said she wouldn't be able to remember anything longer.
I was very sorry to see the loss of the characters' remarks on that song (and on the Mr. Tubby Bear one, which was deleted altogether), as their comments add a touch of quite sophisticated humour.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Post by Maureen1954 »

Well done Tony for the detail, care and effort you have put in all the journals so far!! :D :D :D Once again you have done Enid proud and made all of us members beam with pride for owning such a thing!! We salute you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Mr Tony Summerfield :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Its a wonderful issue and its extra special because of the contributions by some of our Forum members!! Well done everyone, :D :D :D the topics, details etc etc where engrossing and very descriptive,informative and like Tony you have all put a lot of time, love of Enid and effort into your articles!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I really loved the article about Enid and Cuckoo Wood and From my Window by David Chambers, it really does show the magic of Enids writing ie how Enid can take you to an imaginary place and make it real and what is real make it magical and enchanting!!

The illustrations,the centrefold with all the journal front cover photos and the back cover are totally captivating and take you back in time to ones childhood.

Cheers and lashing and lashings of gingerbeers!! :P

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Aaarrrgrgghhh!

For got to renew my subscription until tonight, looking forward to getting this now!
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Thanks for another fine read. As always there was a good selection of articles in the excellent Journal.

Articles on the illustrators always prove to be of great interest to me. It was great to get an insight into the life and career of Lilian Buchanan. I have some dragon paperbacks so her style is familiar to me. Good to see a Cherrys book-cover in the journal too. Her illustrations of these books are also well known to me.

At one time the Lone Pine books were my favourite books so it was nice to have an article touching on that series.
I haven’t read the books about John Hollins so it was an eye-opener to read the article.
Good to have an article on Noddy too. I’m a bit out of touch with that series. I don’t think I’ll be reading the new versions though.

A few months ago I was thinking of doing an article on Americans in the books, but couldn’t get enough material together for one, so it was interesting to read the article “Enid and America” to see what points came up.

The possible link between Constable Oates and PC Goon was intriguing, similar in vein to the comparisons that were drawn between “The red-headed league” and “The mystery of the spiteful letters”.
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

I have updated the index. I have now listed the “Book pages” entries with the numbers to make it easier to keep track. I see it should have been no. 25 in this journal, not 24, but I only noticed it because I was working on the index and realised that a numerical list would be an improvement.

I converted it to pdf as well. It looks nice and ‘professional’, but some of the formatting gets messed up, so maybe Word is better.

WordFormat
PDF
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Brilliant! Many thanks for the very useful update, Lenoir. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lenoir wrote:I have updated the index.
I converted it to pdf as well. It looks nice and ‘professional’, but some of the formatting gets messed up, so maybe Word is better.

WordFormat
PDF
This link no longer seems to work.
Society Member
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

The links are only valid for about a week, but I can always upload it again.
A timely reminder that I need to update it - 2 more journals since then.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh, I see. Please excuse a simpleton, such as me, but I have hunted on this site for your index but haven't been able to find it.
Society Member
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

You have to move quickly to get a copy, they sell like hot cakes!
Here is a new link. I aim to have an updated version out in the next week or two.

PDF
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I was under the impression that your excellent index was accessible from the website - obviously wrong! :(
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you, Lenoir. :D I have downloaded it and saved it on my computer.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:I was under the impression that your excellent index was accessible from the website - obviously wrong! :(
I'd certainly like it to be available somewhere on the website, but I believe only Keith can set up new sections.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, it would, Anita. I guess if it is down to our webmaster, we'll have a long wait! Eddie - I saved it to my computer, but it only saves the download page, not the index. What am I doing wrong???

Edit: I've now managed to save it! Thanks, Pete for your email. :D
Society Member