Journal 41

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Re: Journal 41

Post by Timmy254 »

Wolfgang wrote:Unfortunately it's not just books, Tony, it's audioplays as well. Europa (Sony) is publishing several new Famous Five audioplays per year, the first 21 were the ones by Blyton, the following 8 by Voilier and the rest complete new stories with not much spirit of the Famous Five with love. I think they're by volume 86 or so, so go figure. And Sarah Bosse has started to write books about them, 19 have been published, book 60 is not announced yet (22 by Blyton and 18 by Voilier +19 Bosse).
Those new stories are awful! But as far as I know the books sell quite well and so do the audio plays :roll:
I didn't know that Enid Blyton didn't write the "Tina und Tini" stories :o But it does make sense to me now because that's why I couldn't find the English title!
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:When the series first came out, each book was called The Riddle of... A few years later the series was rereleased with each book retitled, being called The Young Adventurers and... The current publishers (Award) have reverted to The Riddle of... but still have "The Young Adventurers" written on a band across the bottom of every cover.
Am I imagining this, or did I read somewhere that Gillian Baverstock had something to do with it? If I remember correctly she herself did the text alterations to fit the stand-alone books into the Riddle series.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've been trying for some time to obtain a copy of Hollow Tree House, at reasonable cost, but so far have been unsuccessful. As a last resort, I have just ordered a copy of The Riddle of Hollow Tree from Amazon. Does anyone know if there are many textual changes in this new edition?
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I would imagine there would be some, Eddie. I have a paperback of Hollow Tree House, which you're welcome to borrow. I can always bring it with me to the EB DAy, and you can give it back when you and Chick visit Owls Dene around June.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

That's very kind of you, Julie. :D I'd love to borrow it. Many thanks. Chick and I look forward to visiting Owls Dene or the caravan - perhaps in June.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hang on a couple of months, Eddie, and you may well pick one up at Twyford! :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ming wrote:Am I imagining this, or did I read somewhere that Gillian Baverstock had something to do with it? If I remember correctly she herself did the text alterations to fit the stand-alone books into the Riddle series.
Yes, Gillian Baverstock was asked to rewrite the six books to form a series. At first she was hesitant, but she realised that if she didn't do it herself the job would be given to someone else who might not be as sensitive to Enid Blyton's originals. All six titles have undergone textual changes, with some being altered more than others. I've just finished collecting them but haven't yet got round to reading them. I've read all Blyton's original one-off novels so it'll be interesting to see how the new series compares, though I'm apprehensive as it does seem a terrible shame to "dilute" gripping stand-alone stories like The Boy Next Door and reshape them to become part of a series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:Hang on a couple of months, Eddie, and you may well pick one up at Twyford! :D
That's true. You could be in luck there, Eddie. I've had a look at EBAY and there are 7 listed but no pictures, so I don't know if they're original or not :?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think they are Rewards/paperbacks.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote:Hang on a couple of months, Eddie, and you may well pick one up at Twyford! :D
Julie2owlsdene wrote: That's true. You could be in luck there, Eddie. I've had a look at EBAY and there are 7 listed but no pictures, so I don't know if they're original or not.
Moonraker wrote:I think they are Rewards/paperbacks.

Many thanks for the info, Nigel and Julie. :D I think I will try to pick up a copy at Twyford and borrow your copy only if I don't manage to find one there, Julie. In the meantime, I'll await my copy of The Riddle of the Hollow Tree which I have ordered from Amazon.

Reading your excellent review of Hollow Tree House first prompted me to find a copy, Nigel.

Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I've finally joined the society and received my copy of Journal 41 today - most exciting!!!!!!! (I can't imagine why it took me so long to do so!!!) It looks wonderful and I can't wait to read it!!

Thank you Tony!! :D
P.s. My mother thinks you have gorgeous handwriting Tony - she said she was waiting impatiently for me to come home all day so she could see what was in the nicely addressed package from England.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

With all the mention of Enid Boyten I've noticed this which has come up on ebay UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1953-IPC-COMICS-L ... 25597ec44c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks. Those look really interesting. They're not that expensive either, I wonder if there will be much interest in them. I've put them on my watch list just to see how they fare.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

They have gone on my watch list too! I thought it would make a nice little item for the next Journal as a follow up to the extract from Fred Clampitt's letter. I would honestly have thought it was only of archive interest as there are no famous signatures or even writing involved and I wondered if the £14 starting price was a bit optimistic!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have 2 books from the Schoolgirls' own Library by Enid Boyten which I have had since they were first published in the early 1950s - number 69 "Her Secret Pupil of the Jungle School" and number 88 "The Girl who put Flame First". I remember thinking at the time that the name was very similar to that of my favourite author but I wasn't confused into thinking it was her. They cost 7d. There's an advert. for Oxo on the back of both and for Cadbury's products in the inner front cover! These books can be bought for around £4 or £5 these days.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member