Journal 38

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Journal 38

Post by Rob Houghton »

I see that Journal 38 is now on the 'Journal catalogue' page, with a lovely cover picture from 'Those Dreadful children'. This is actually one of my favourite frontis-piece illustrations (I have a scan of it on the wall in my computer room!) :D

The contents looks very tasty as always. :D :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Journal 38

Post by Ming »

Indeed! :D

The story from the Roaring Twenties has a rather intriguing title! :wink:

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Oh, good! I get to read 'Peak and Puke'. Thanks, Tony.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

The contents' page does look very interesting - I look forward to receiving my copy.

Thanks, Tony.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Kate Mary wrote:Oh, good! I get to read 'Peak and Puke'. Thanks, Tony.

Kate.
Must qualify for one of Blyton's 'worst titles' along with 'Mr widdle on the train' :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My journal arrived this morning and when I get a free minute this evening I will read through it. Have to confess I always start with the article on the Find-Outers first by David Cook :D

Just one question, Tony. Will the EB Day tickets arrive separately? Can't remember whether or not they were in the journal last year.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've had a quick flick through the Journal, which arrived today, and as usual I was encouraged to read more of it than I intended!! :lol:

I started Anita's excellent article, but left it after a page as I wanted to savour it later on when i had more time. I did read Enid's short story, 'the Reward of Virtue', which i would describe as an 'anecdote' rather than a short story, but very entertaining and rather amusing. I found the notes by Terry Gustafson rather interesting, particularly as i feel he has mis-read a few of the dialect words as misprints.

Terry suggests that 'Be you sartin'?' was a mis-print and should more accurately read 'Be you startin'?' But i don't agree. To me the word is 'sartin' and is dialect for the word 'certain':
"I'll tell you when we be at Poppleton,"
"Be you sartin?"
The guard nodded...
I'm surprised Terry has never come across this way of writing dialect before, as i have seen it several times.

The second instance Terry cites is further on in the story when Enid has the guard saying ' That air board', and Terry admits to never having heard the word air board before, but presumes its some kind of notice! Surely this is also dialect, 'That air board' meaning 'that there board'.

The piece is cleverly written, and the fact that the speech is written almost entirely in dialect adds to the charm of the piece for me, so it seemed funny that Terry picked on two dialect words and wondered if they were mistakes! :D

It was also good to see Anitas portrait in the middle pages!!! :lol: You'll never look anything but like that picture to me now Anita, so please don't alter your avatar! :wink:

I havent had time to read more yet (apart from my own article, which I always read first to check for mistakes! :oops: ) so I'll let you know when I read other articles, but it all looks very tasty! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I've just got home to find my journal on the mat. :D On first glance it looks great, I wont be reading it in depth till Sunday or Monday though (my days off). No editorial from Tony this time? Or was Viv's article in place of that this month?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Just one question, Tony. Will the EB Day tickets arrive separately? Can't remember whether or not they were in the journal last year.
The EB Day tickets are sent out separately, Julie, usually about three weeks before the Day.
Robert Houghton wrote:It was also good to see Anitas portrait in the middle pages!!! :lol: You'll never look anything but like that picture to me now Anita, so please don't alter your avatar! :wink:
Guess I'm resigned to being stuck in the kitchen forever, baking cakes! :lol:

Will say more about Journal 38 eventually but for now I just have to say that the Grace Lodge cover is gorgeous and the Enid Blyton party invitations on the back are very attractive too. I agree with your remarks about the dialect words in "The Reward of Virtue," Robert. Interesting that Enid Blyton took a joke and fleshed it out to form a little story or sketch.

Enid's "From My Window" articles are invariably a good read, giving us a glimpse of her in a playful or thoughtful mood. In her piece on "Opinions," her remarks about adults who like Tarzan books could equally be applied these days to adults who like Enid Blyton books!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

My Journal also arrived today. Getting time to read it is another matter entirely, as I've been going through a very arduous shift pattern over the past few weeks. :( As always, a quick glance reveals some very interesting contents.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:I've just got home to find my journal on the mat. :D On first glance it looks great, I wont be reading it in depth till Sunday or Monday though (my days off). No editorial from Tony this time? Or was Viv's article in place of that this month?
I must admit (no offense to Viv: her article was very interesting! 8) ) that I really missed Tony's editorial, as it sort of starts off the Journal so welcomingly. It didnt seem the same without it :(
Anita Bensoussane wrote:

for now I just have to say that the Grace Lodge cover is gorgeous
Yes: a lovely picture, and a Journal stuffed with wonderful Grace Lodge,Dorothy Wheeler, Rene Cloke and Treyer Evans illustrations, all of whom really are the cream of Blyton illustrators. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: The EB Day tickets are sent out separately, Julie, usually about three weeks before the Day.
Anita
Thanks for the info, Anita. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The latest Journal is a sheer delight from cover to cover: crammed full of good things. A big thank you to Tony and all the contributors! :D :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote: I must admit (no offense to Viv: her article was very interesting! 8) ) that I really missed Tony's editorial, as it sort of starts off the Journal so welcomingly. It didnt seem the same without it :(
It seemed very sad not to see Tony's editorial, somehow it always seems like a welcome to the Journal. Maybe Tony could post an editorial here so that we can print it off and stick it in the Journal!

I haven't had chance to study the Journal yet, it will be tonight's bed-time reading!
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Bizzarly, this morning when I woke up I lay in bed for a bit and suddenly wondered when the next journal would arrive, as it seemed such a long time since the last one. I then went downstairs to find said journal had already arrived!

Needless to say I read it cover to cover with my breakfast.

Will there be answers to the 'Famous Five Picture Quiz'? I am ashamed to say I had trouble identifying them all!

I am now more determined than ever to get hold of "Holiday House" and some "Josie Click and Bun"!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member