Journal Jitters

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Journal Jitters

Post by Courtenay »

Oh Tony, Please Don't Fume - I asked simply because I wasn't sure about the possibilities. Now that you've given a Proper, Detailed, Full explanation of the technical difficulties involved, I understand why it isn't an option. I for one won't mention it again - I Promise, Definitely, Finally.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks that as an editor, you are Pretty Darn Fantastic! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Robert Houghton wrote:From reading this thread it seems that Tony gives all he gives and does a brilliant job, but some people just arent satisfied, and never will be! People seem to think poor Tony is a never ending source of 'do this do that'! I find it a bit demanding personally, and I know if it was me, I certainly wouldnt be giving the polite answers Tony is managing to come up with! :roll: .
     Well, as one of those who could be considered to be in this category, I will just say that I wasn't aware of the complications that may have been behind this, and, from my point of view, it seemed reasonable, given that things like this were under discussion in the first place, for suggestions or requests to be made. For instance, it is clear that many people would like to have access to older Journals that are now rare - since reprinting them seems unlikely now, PDF files were an obvious substitute, and I don't quite see how it's unreasonable, ungrateful, demanding, or whatever you like to call it, to enquire about the possibility, to offer suggestions about it, and so on. It is quite natural to ask politely about the possibility of something you would like to see.
     I'm sorry if some have taken it the wrong way. Now that I see that Tony doesn't find it feasible, I won't go on about it, but just let it go. I certainly hope my comments were not taken as a kind of "do this, do that" thing, and I apologize if it has come across that way - it was not intended. I would be surprised if anyone else here, either, intended it that way.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I wasnt really blaming anyone individually, or aiming what I said at anyone in particular - it just seems that everyone has come up with similar solutions regards PDF versions, Tony answered, then someone else came up with a similar solution, etc. Sometimes it seems as if people dont read the whole thread, and then they miss things that have been repeated. Not aimed at you at all, Michael. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

It should be quite obvious that Tony intends things to stay as they are. Perhaps we should leave it at that.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Agreed...but then I do have a full set of Journals, so I'm probably biased! :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's amazing how threads go off on a tangent as it were. This thread started out as a few minor concerns about the Journal, etc. I sort of lost track and got confused when the thread turned into all sorts of computer files!!! I'm happy reading a paperback version of the Journal, and as Tony has already said, it will stay as it is, and the price will remain, so why are we still going on about it!!! :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

MJE wrote: I'm sorry if some have taken it the wrong way. Now that I see that Tony doesn't find it feasible, I won't go on about it, but just let it go. I certainly hope my comments were not taken as a kind of "do this, do that" thing, and I apologize if it has come across that way - it was not intended. I would be surprised if anyone else here, either, intended it that way.
Same here, I never intended to say "do this, do that", but with the language barrier it might have come across like it. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

All jokes aside, I too wasn't meaning to say "do this, do that" - like Michael said, I simply wanted to put forward a suggestion and find out whether or not it was feasible from Tony's point of view. I certainly didn't intend to imply that I thought any of those ideas were what should or must happen. I'm just grateful that for the foreseeable future, the Journal will continue! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

N'owt to add other than I'm happy to pay £20 when it comes to renewing.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I have discovered why I couldn't find Journals No. 35 - 40 on my landing. It would appear I've never had owned them. I was so sure I'd managed to get hold of back issues of every one apart from No. 28!!!

Looks like I'll have to start reading them backwards after all, in the hope that by the time I've reached No. 41, the missing Journals will turn up on E-Bay. :cry:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have to read the Journal as soon as possible. I couldn't possibly leave it for a few months!

Back to the topic, the Society Journal is a similar publication, in style/format, to the Malcolm Saville Society (MSS) journal, called Acksherly! However, unlike our society, the MSS is not run, organised and produces a journal by one and the same person. Inside Ackesherley! is the following list of 'staff':

Membership Registrar, Secretary, Chairman, Treasurer, Webmaster, Librarian and Editor.

That our society is managed and organised by one person (yes, we do have a webmaster and Anita manages the forums) speaks volumes. The MSS has no forums, nor PDF publications.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:I have to read the Journal as soon as possible. I couldn't possibly leave it for a few months!
Same here. I don't know how you can stand to keep your journals hanging around Katharine. You clearly have more willpower than me. :lol:
Moonraker wrote:
The MSS has no forums, nor PDF publications.
Do we know how many members or subscribers they have?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also read mine as soon as possible: usually during the evening of the day it arrives. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Same here - if there is an article or so still to read the following day it shows I have been very busy on the day the Journal arrived!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Lucky Star wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I have to read the Journal as soon as possible. I couldn't possibly leave it for a few months!
Same here. I don't know how you can stand to keep your journals hanging around Katharine. You clearly have more willpower than me. :lol:
Wish I had that much willpower when it comes to chocolate. :cry:
Society Member