Five on a Treasure Island - a new review

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: Five on a Treasure Island - a new review

Post by Jack400 »

josepmcb wrote:Five on a treasure island, published in 1942.
A Although, as far as I can see, they could only be prosecuted for emprisoning two kids for some hours in a dungeon, I can't see any other offence. Taking advantage of Uncle Quentin stupidity is no a crime, is it?

Buying an island because they see a benefit/ hidden treasure/ business opportunity ( a hotel development possibility) is perfectly legal.

In Britain illegal possession of a gun/pistol would be a very serious offense- threatening young children, falsely imprisoning them would be taken very very seriously.Doing this to prevent them from realising the island's potential ( i.e. criminal gain) even more so.The island was still owned by the Kirrin family so any activity on it could equate to trespass.

The characters' role was still to be developed, and I must confess I like them more this way.

Yes, this is a natural state for any new group- and makes the stories all the more credible.

Josep, a catalan blytonian :)
Last edited by Jack400 on 17 Feb 2018, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

It was the first book I read in the series and I was only 4 or 5. It was read to me actually which makes it even more special maybe. It has a different feel to the others as Uncle Quentin is under stress from being overworked and trying to provide for his family, and they are relatively poor.
Kirrin is new to the other three children as well, which also makes it different.
Quite a thrilling story. Going down the well is something I wouldn't like to do - it sounds very dangerous and claustrophobic.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It taught me the word ingots.
Society Member
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

I've just listened to it again. I've got all the Famous Five audiobooks on my iPod and it's become an annual ritual for me to listen to them in my car on way to and from work.

I seem to do it when I'm having a bit of a tough time at work as it takes my mind off work on my commute in and then I actually find myself looking forward to the continuation of the story on the way home!

I've just finished Five on a Treasure Island and intend to listen to them all again, in order. It'll take me a while, but I love it. I agree with some of the criticisms above. You don't really think about it when you're a child, but as an adult a few of the plot holes make me smile. The one that made me chuckle was when George thinks to sign the note "Georgina". Now admittedly, that would seem odd to Dick and Anne, but I find it so unlikely that they'd instantly think "there must be something wrong, let's go and see if another boat has landed here". :D

But the plot holes are part of the fun too!

I've just got back from my first ever visit to Dorset and had the pleasure of staying in Corfe Castle village itself for a week. Each morning we'd go down to the bakery to get rolls and cakes for the day's picnic and were very lucky with the weather. It was great each morning to walk into the village and see the castle up on the hill. We also went over to Studland and took in the wonderful views of Poole Harbour - Brownsea Island made me think of Whispering Island (as it was quite clearly based on that). Our trip was Brownsea wasn't quite as adventurous, but lovely all the same.

I'll always hold the Famous Five books dear no matter how old I get. :)