Five on a Treasure Island - a new review

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
josepmcb
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty

Five on a Treasure Island - a new review

Post by josepmcb »

Five on a treasure island, published in 1942. What can I say about this book?. It was my first Blyton, my first FF, my first book,
I was lucky, I choosed it when I was eight without knowing it was the first of the series, without knowing anything in deed.
And what marvel! Five on Treasure Island is part of me. I have a clear remembrance of my feelings when I first read that book. I read it dozens of times as a child, and i found it interesting reading it one more time from an adult approach,
I think some of the finest EB moments are here: the first cousins meeting, Kirrin Island description, the wreck incident, the ingots search, etc., absolutely unforgettable.
And as adult I can notice some imperfections such as a big obvious plot hole (Timothy couldn't have escaped from the dungeon climbing the well), baddies' description is a little poor, or some unrealistic episodes such as Tim's map recovery from the sea.
When Timothy falls in the well, he is rescued by George, she goes down the ladder, takes him with one hand (she's 11, and Tim is described as a big size dog) and climbs back to the top? Sorry, not possible.
Just before that, Julian had thrown a stone and had surprised himself not hearing the water, it must be to deep to hear it, he concludes... Considering there was a big obstructing stone several meters beneath with Tim on it, it would have been surprising hearing the splash!
It surprises me how can Uncle Quentin be so stupid selling the box without examining its content.
And several loose ends, what happened to the baddies, did they manage to get part of the treasure? Apparently they were no detained. Although, as far as I can see, they could only be prosecuted for emprisoning two kids for some hours in a dungeon, I can't see any other offense. Taking advantage of Uncle Quentin stupidity is no a crime, is it?

The characters' role were still to be developed, and I must confess I like them more this way.

George is the main character here, specially at the beginning, she's the expert in front of the newcomers. She's brave, she oars, she fishes, she swims even better than their male cousins... And she's also rebel, passionate, stubborn, and righteous, sincere, honest. At this time she's obviously Enid's FF favourite character. This would change later in the series and Julian became her favourite.
Julian is a pleasant guy, the one who manages to befriend George despite her initial hostility, the one who comforts her when she gets upset, very far from the pompous leader he was to become in future deliveries, a good friend rather than a bossy leader.
I found particularly moving chapter 3: "A strange story and a new friend". Here is were the four boys became the Famous Five, and this makes a unique moment throughout the series, a real wonderful moment.
Although Dick seems almost absent in the first part of the book, he shines strongly in the final chapters, he proves to be clever enough to notice the hidden warning in George's signature, and he becomes the adventure's hero with his brave rescue.
And we find a very childish Anne, she still plays with dolls, she can't hold her tongue when necessary, however, she has good ideas and she shows high dignity apologising George after the lunch incident and she's rewarded with that unexpected hug, one of the sensible highlights.
This is the first volume of the series, and therefore the most authentic, the most genuine. We have to read carefully: Julian, Dick and Anne's father is the brother of Uncle Quentin (Chapter 1). Kirrin Cottage, Kirrin Farm, Kirrin Island and all sorrounding properties belonged to Aunt Fanny's family (Chapter 3). HJK stands for Henry John Kirrin which George identifies as a family ancestor (Chapter 8 ). Hence Uncle Quentin can't be Mr. Kirrin, as we read later in the series, this was a mistake due to Enids poor memory and not properly corrected by her editor.

Probably not the best, but it contains the most wonderful moments, I rank it no. 3
My little boy turned 8 three days ago. Can you guess my present?
Yeah... Los Cinco y el Tesoro de la Isla, (updated version)

Josep, a catalan blytonian :)
db105

Re: Five on a Treasure Island - a new review

Post by db105 »

Yes, this is a great Blyton novel, possibly the best in the Famous Five series. There are other very good novels in the series, but this is the only one where we have the pleasure of seeing the five become friends, and George shines here. It's a pity Blyton toned her down later, because the series is at its best when George is at her best. George is the most distinctive and unconventional character in the series, and she's quite vivid and full of personality, with her flaws too. When she becomes less awesome the series also becomes a bit less awesome.

Julian is also great here, knowing exactly how to earn George's confidence and befriend her. In later books he'll become more bossy, but I have always seen him more as the older, strong, protective sibling rather than the overly bossy one. In later books, as Blyton's storytelling becomes more conventional, he becomes more conventional too, and he sometimes puts George down, reminding her that she is a girl. Even though I do not like that, I find it hard to dislike Julian for it, because when he is overly protective of the girls he's only acting in the way that the society he lives in believes the proper way to act.

All in all, I think Dick is the one who gets less character development in the series. Yes, he is the more relaxed and joking boy, but he is often overshadowed by the more distinct personalities of the others. Even Anne gets more development than him.

I do not remember the detail about how Tim climbed from the well, but it's not something so important as to spoil the story for me. In some of these books, the children solve this problem by tying him and pulling the rope.

Uncle Quentin certainly acts stupid here, but then he always acts stupid except for scientific matters.
Although, as far as I can see, they could only be prosecuted for imprisoning two kids for some hours in a dungeon, I can't see any other offense. Taking advantage of Uncle Quentin stupidity is no a crime, is it?
If I remember correctly, they only intended to buy the island as a last resort. They were trying to find and steal the ingots to make sure the treasure was there but also so that they wouldn't have to pay anything (cheap criminals!) Of course, once the children appeared, knowing too much, they had to kidnap them or silence them in some way, because if they told Quentin about the treasure he wouldn't sell the island and he'd keep the treasure. Taking advantage of Quentin's stupidity is not a crime, but stealing and kidnapping is.

I hope your son enjoys the book! :)
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
jon beeza
Favourite book/series: Five Get Into Trouble / The Famous Five
Favourite character: In preference: George,Timmy,Anne,Dick,Julian

Post by jon beeza »

A nice write up, on your thoughts on Five On A Treasure Island. I am re reading this book at the moment, and I am enjoying it at much as the first time I read it.

Nice little present for your son, hope he likes it as much as we all did. :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Great overviews of this,my favourite Blyton book ever. They are making me salivate for a re-read. Now which version should I reach for, Maxey or Soper???

1970 Knight, illustrations by Eileen A. Soper, cover by Betty Maxey

This the version I read in the early 1970's which has possibly led to me loving both Betty & Eileen equally.

As a young child, I didn't analize (or agonise) over who did the internals and who did the externals I just loved and devoured the book!

George as an only child was brought out of herself by her new found cousins, and she had so much to offer them in the way of excitement in the amazing lifestyle available at Kirrin.

The booked gripped and captivated me from the outset. I wanted a boat like George's. I wanted to swim underwater in the sea with my eyes open. I wanted to find secret passages. I wanted to visit an unspoilt island like Kirrin Island. I wanted to swing an axe like Ju.I wanted to swim in the sea,laze in the sand and then go and buy an 'ice' on a hot summer's day...

I have only seen the Maxey illustrations for the first time a few years ago for this book.
I did not grow up with them and even for me they don't seem right,but happily Tony has included them in the cave for posterity.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Just cast your eyes over some of the titles of each new chapter. How could any adventure loving child not be magnetically drawn into such an exciting book!!

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You're right, Pete, but personally I can't remember ever reading down a chapter list before diving into the page which was labelled "Chapter One"!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I was like you in that I didn't even glance at the chapter titles before starting a book, Daisy - I simply plunged straight in! By the time I acquired a copy of Five on a Treasure Island I'd already read a few other titles from the series, so it was a surprise to see Julian, Dick and Anne getting to know George (and Timmy!) for the first time. From the other books I'd formed the impression that "the Five" had been "the Five" forever!

Five on a Treasure Island does have a glorious freshness and wonder about it, with the children falling into adventure for the first time and (unbeknown to them), having masses more adventures lying ahead! As I read the book as a child, I liked the feeling of knowing something of what awaited them in the future, while the Five themselves had no idea.
pete9012S wrote:The booked gripped and captivated me from the outset. I wanted a boat like George's. I wanted to swim underwater in the sea with my eyes open. I wanted to find secret passages. I wanted to visit an unspoilt island like Kirrin Island.
I really envied George her island (complete with ruined castle and wreck!), not to mention her boat and her dog. Like you, Pete, I longed to be part of that world instead of living in a modern bungalow in a nice enough but quite ordinary town!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

pete9012S wrote:
1970 Knight, illustrations by Eileen A. Soper, cover by Betty Maxey
This cover served as my own introduction to the Famous Five and it still resonates very powerfully with me. To me George had the most perfect life ever. She lived in a rambling old house with secret passages; owned an island, a boat and a dog and didn't go to school! Perfection. :D

As Anita said there is a timeless quality about this first adventure. Reading it is like the first day of the school holidays. The 21 adventures stretch out endlessly in front of you. For my money it's also on eof the most exciting and atmospheric books in the series. There are better ones yes, but it's definitely up there near the top for it's pace, suspense and action packed scenes. Probably one of my all time favourite books by anyone.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I love this book, my absolute favourite Famous Five. Full of action, adventure and raw emotions.

On the subject of the baddies, it does seem a little odd that they're in the process of legally buying the island and yet still sail across with a gun. Were they expecting some trouble?
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I read the first six chapters yesterday on my kindle whilst I had some free time and absolutely loved re-reading this book.
So many fascinating character details that I had completely forgotten about.

It says the children had met Quentin once before,but not Fanny or George. Wonder what occasion that was?
Julian's father can hardly remember Kirrin,but Aunt Fanny has lived there all her life.
You would think Quentin had taken his wife's name,but his brother is a Kirrin too, so I guess the name perplexion lives on!

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I also first read the early Famous Five stories in the knight edition, and Betty Maxey's cover for On A Treasure Island was my first introduction to the series - very evocative and hinting at the main arc of the storyline with the island and the sunken ship. I preferred the Maxey covers to most of her illustrations of the text, which were more narrowly '1970s' in tone with the flared trousers, longer hairstyles etc. (Not to mention the pop-star-like Uncle Quentin!)
I assumed that the crooks had said they would buy the island as a 'cover' so they would not be suspected if they were seen poking around there - they could say they were checking the potential sites for their supposed hotel. They might even have gone through with the purchase if they couldn't find the treasure quickly, so as to ban other people from the place as they looked more thoroughly.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

pete9012S wrote:It says the children had met Quentin once before,but not Fanny or George. Wonder what occasion that was?
Julian's father can hardly remember Kirrin,but Aunt Fanny has lived there all her life.
You would think Quentin had taken his wife's name,but his brother is a Kirrin too, so I guess the name perplexion lives on!
I tried to explain the Kirrin connections in my "Anne's Journal" which was in our EB Journal last year. I suggest that Fanny is directly descended from Captain Henry John Kirrin (George says he is a great-great grandfather) and Quentin and the cousin Kirrin's father are descended from a brother of his, making Fanny and Quentin third cousins. As she married Quentin, the children are first cousins and fourth cousins!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

The Storm is my fav bit in the book. I love the part where the Five are sheltering in the cosy little Castle room, as the torrential rain & waves crashing against the rocks battered Kirrin island. As a kid, there's something special about being somewhere safe, warm & dry whilst a storm is raging all around. Maybe it stems from my trips when I was a young lad, where I'd lie awake at night listening to the pattering of rain on the roof of the caravan or tent, before snuggling down in in my sleeping bag & reluctantly drifting off into the land of nod! Five on a Treasure island is a great story. It certainly fuelled my imagination as a kid...& still does! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 14 Feb 2018, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Five On A Treasure Island is a classic...because it introduces characters who have since become iconic...but I must confess its probably in my bottom five or six titles, lol. I know I'm unusual in this - and maybe it has something to do with the fact I only read it for the first time as an adult. Saying that though, my favourite Fives - Caravan, Trouble, Hike, Camp - and practically every other Famous Five were also ones I only read for the first time as an adult!

Five On A Treasure Island is fascinating from the viewpoint that it introduces the characters - and the setting, and gives us some history of the Kirrins - and I love the scenes involving the storm, and diving down to the wreck etc - but ultimately, for me, the 'crime' and the adventure are very much secondary to the other elements - which in my opinion makes it a weaker entry in the series. :D

Then again, I think Mystery Moor is one of the best...so take no notice of my opinion, lol! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Owl's Dene

Post by Owl's Dene »

I know it is now thought that the Kirrin name mix was Enid's mistake.

A school friend of mine (at the same time I was first reading the Famous five books), was the daughter of two cousins and the Mum had the same surname prior to marriage. I remember overhearing my parents talking about the fact, and I asked questions, because my friend had a severely disabled younger sister....

Perhaps George's mother and father were also first cousins, this might have also been why they just had one child.