What Enid Blyton book(s) did you get for Christmas?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: What Enid Blyton book(s) did you get for Christmas?

Post by Courtenay »

Does that mean all of us Enid Blyton fans are definitely going to heaven?? :mrgreen: (Of course we are.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I received several Enid Blyton books at Christmas when I was a child including some Armada paperbacks amongst the occasional hardback.
This Christmas I received a nearly fine 1st (1956) of Enid Blyton's Magazine Annual No 3. I have been looking out for decent copies of these annuals since Rob started his fortnightly thread. I've already got No 4 so I hope the first two will follow. It was a present from a good friend and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

sounds great, John - as you know, they're really well worth having! :-)

Daisy - I'm very lucky in that none of my relatives bat an eyelid when they hear I want an Enid Blyton book as a present! My nieces grew up knowing I was into Enid Blyton, and would sometimes buy me Noddy items! I think they thought it was amusing - but they didn't try to ban me from having them!! :lol: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
kirstymaclaren

Post by kirstymaclaren »

This year for Christmas I received the Adventure Treasury from my aunt and uncle. I am 37 and it was on my amazon wishlist but they very acceptingly didn’t question why I would want a “children’s book”!
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I am very lucky in that my parents wouldn't bat an eyelid at me asking for Enid Blyton, in fact they love my interest and positively encourage me in my collecting, my dad reads my collection just as much as I do. Neither of them would hesitate to buy me any book I wanted or borrow me some money for an expensive one. My aunts however are a different matter. Despite also reading EB as children (I know as I have their copies), they did outgrow them and would never understand my interest, they'd think it was ridiculous.

They are the sort who would have a fit if you gave them a second hand book rather than a new one, or a slightly older model phone rather than the latest must have, one of them even disparaged my new puppy because he didn't come with good enough papers!! and I remember being scorned at for liking Abba at 9 years old. Someone like that is never going to see the appeal of children's books from years ago. Shame really because it means when they ask me what I want for Christmas I can't tell them and have to pretend I don't know. Then I get money as they don't know what to give and I spend it on the books I wanted but couldn't ask them for :P . I count my blessings every day that I wasn't born to one of my aunts, I'd be so miserable as they would approve of literally nothing I love. Awful but sadly true.

Anyway, my wonderful parents did get me some of the books I wanted:

1955 The Children of Kidillin in dw
1955 Three Boys and a Circus in dw
1955 The Secret of Cliff Castle in dw
1945 Shadow the Sheepdog in a copy dw as the original is too expensive!
1961 Bimbo and Topsy in dw
1952 Come to the Circs in dw
1962 The Four Cousins in dw
1954 Magazine Annual number 1 in dw
1936 News Chronicles story book 4
1950 Circus Days Again in dw

and from my brother:

1933 News Chronicles story book 1
1963 The Boy Who Wanted a Dog in dw
1953 The Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor in dw
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

What a great 'haul' IceMaiden! I also feel lucky that both my parents, and my sister, and a couple of elderly friends, all support my love of Enid Blyton, and have all bought me Enid Blyton books over the years. I was carer to an elderly gent for around 20 years, both when he lived with us and when he later moved into his own place, and he had a big love of ENid Blyton books. I often used to read them to him, as he wasn't a big reader himself, and he always attended the Enid Blyton Days and I have photos of him with both Gillian and Imogen. He also bought me many of the books in my collection - as did my other two friends and my mom, dad, and sister! So I feel very lucky!

This Christmas I didn't get any old ENid Blyton books except 'The Blue Story Book' in dust wrapper - which I bought myself. My dad bought me the Famous Five 1000 piece jigsaw, and also the 'Little Noddy Party Game' - complete and in very good condition, from the 1950's. My sister bought me 'The Diary of the Naughtiest Girl' and also 'Jolly Good Food' - both modern and only based on Blyton stories, but good to have in my collection! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

It is nice if our families support our hobbies. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I had Enid Blyton's CHRISTMAS TALES, a Hodder book published in 2016, the blue covered version, and read it over the holidays. I found the illustrations hideous, but loved the stories, lots of new favourites there!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.