Famous Five Books - The Endings

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Famous Five Books - The Endings

Post by pete9012S »

Contains Spoilers- Avoid this thread if you do not want to see/discuss the endings of the books.

Stephen's recent comment on the ending of a Famous Five book got me thinking about the ending of the books.

Here are the book's endings. Some books finish with 'The End' and some don't..

Five on a Treasure Island

Only one person was awake— and that was Tim. He had one ear up and was listening to the children's breathing. As soon as he knew they were asleep he got up quietly from his rug. He crept softly over to George's bed. He put his front paws up and sniffed at the sleeping girl.
Then, with a bound he was on the bed, and snuggled himself down into the crook of her legs. He gave a sigh, and shut his eyes. The four children might be happy— but Tim was happiest of all.
"Oh, Tim," murmured George, half waking up as she felt him against her. "Oh, Tim, you mustn't— but you do feel so nice. Tim— we'll have other adventures together, the five of us— won't we?"
They will— but that's another story!

Five Go Adventuring Again

The snow melted two days later, and the police took away Mr. Roland and the others. The children watched them go.
'No more lessons these hols!' said Anne gleefully.
'No more shutting Timothy out of the house,' said George.
'You were right and we were wrong, George,' said Julian. 'You were fierce, weren't you -, but it's a jolly good thing you were!'
'She is fierce, isn't she?' said Dick, giving the girl a sudden hug. 'But I rather like her when she's fierce, don't you, Julian? Oh George, we do have marvellous adventures with you! I wonder if we'll have any more?'
They will - there isn't a doubt of that!
THE END

Five Run Away Together

The Sticks' boat was found and the policeman, the two grown-up Sticks and Edgar got in. Stinker jumped in too, glad to get away from the glare of Timothy's green eyes.
Julian pushed the boat out. "Good-bye!" he called, and the other children waved good-bye, too.
"Good-bye; Mr. Stick, don't go kidnapping any more children. Good-bye, Mrs. Stick, look after Edgar better, in case he gets kidnapped again! Good-bye, Spotty-Face, try and be a better boy! Good-bye, Stinker, do get a bath as soon as possible. Good-bye!"
The policemen grinned and waved. The Sticks said not a word, nor did they wave. They sat sullen and angry, trying to work out in their minds what had happened to make things end up like this.
The boats rounded a high rock and were soon out of sight. "Hurrah!" said Dick. "They've gone—gone for ever! We've got our island to ourselves at last. Come on, Jenny, we'll show you all over it! What a lovely time we're going to have."
They raced away, happy and carefree, five children and a dog, alone on an island they loved. And we will leave them there to enjoy their week's happiness. They really do deserve it!
THE END

Five Go to Smuggler's Top

It was an exciting adventure to talk about, now that it was all over. The children felt sorry about one thing, though - they were sorry that they had thought Mr. Lenoir so horrid. He was a queer man in many ways, but he could be kind and jolly too.
'Did you know we're leaving Smuggler's Top?' said Sooty. 'Mother was so terribly upset when I disappeared, that Father promised her he'd sell the place and leave Castaway, if I came back safe and sound. Mother's thrilled!'
'So am I,' said Marybelle. 'I don't like Smuggler's Top - it's so queer and secret and lonely!'
'Well, if it will make you all happy to leave it, I'm glad,' said Julian. 'But I like it! I think it's a lovely place, set on a hill-top like this, with mists at its foot, and secret ways all about it. I'll be sorry never to come here again, if you leave.'
'So will I,' said Dick, and Anne and George nodded.
'It's an adventurous place!' said George, patting Timmy. 'Isn't it, Timmy? Do you like it, Timmy? Have you enjoyed your adventure here?'
'Woof!' said Timmy, and thumped his tail on the floor. Of course he had enjoyed himself. He always did, so long as George was anywhere about.
'Well - now perhaps we'll have a nice peaceful time!' said Marybelle. 'I don't want any more adventures.'
'Ah, but we do!' said the others. So no doubt they will get them. Adventures always come to the adventurous, there's no doubt about that!

Five Go Off in a Caravan

'I was lucky,' said Nobby. 'I only spoke to Lucilla and Larry. Mr Gorgio has gone off to answer some questions at the police station, and so have some of the others. So I just told Larry to tell Mr Gorgio I was leaving, and I got my things and hopped it.'
'Well, now we can really enjoy our last day,' said Julian. 'Everybody's happy!'
And they did enjoy that last day. They went down to the lake and bathed. They had a fine farmhouse tea at Mrs Mackie's, by special invitation. They had a picnic supper on the rocky ledge, with the three dogs rolling over and over in play. Nobby felt sad to think he would so soon say good-bye to his 'posh' friends — but he couldn't help feeling proud and pleased to have a fine job of his own on the farm — with the horses he loved so much.
Nobby, Barker, Growler, Farmer Mackie and his wife all stood on the cart-track to wave good-bye to the two caravans the next morning.
'Good-bye!' yelled Nobby. 'Good luck! See you again some time!'
'Good-bye!' shouted the others. 'Give our love to Pongo when you see him.'
'Woof! woof!' barked Timmy, but only Barker and Growler knew what that meant. It meant, 'Shake paws with Pongo for me!'
Good-bye, five caravanners . . . till your next exciting adventure!
THE END

Five on Kirrin Island Again

" Mother, can we go and stay on Kirrin Island and watch the tower being taken down to-morrow ? " begged George. " Do say yes ! And can we stay there a whole week ? We can sleep in that little room as we did before."
" Well—I suppose you can." said her mother, smiling at George's eager face. " I'd rather like to have your father to myself for a few days and feed him up a bit."
" Oh—that reminds me, Fanny," said her husband, suddenly. " I tried some soup you left for me, the night before last. And, my dear, it was horrible. Quite bad. "
" Oh Quentin ! I told you to pour it away. You know I did," said his wife, distressed. " It must have been completely bad. You really are dreadful."

They all finished their breakfast at last, and went out into the garden. They looked across Kirrin Bay to Kirrin Island. It looked lovely in the morning sun.
" We've had a lot of adventures together," said Julian. " More than most children. They have been exciting, haven't they ? "
Yes—they have ! But now we must say goodbye to the Five, and to Kirrin Island too. Goodbye, Julian, Dick, George, Anne—and Timmy. But only Timmy hears our good-bye, for he has such sharp ears.
"Woof! Good-bye!"

Five Go Off to Camp

'To think of that old yard and tunnel being used again!' said Mrs Andrews. 'And all those tales about spook-trains - and the way they hid that train, and hid all the stuff, too. Why, it's like a fairy tale isn't it!'
She ran to see if the water was hot for the baths. It was, and she went to call the children, who were in the big bedroom next door. She opened it and looked in. Then she called Mr Luffy upstairs.
He looked in at the door, too. The five, and Timmy, were lying on the floor in a heap, waiting for the bathwater. They hadn't liked to sit on chairs or beds, they were so dirty. And they had fallen asleep where they sat, their faces as black as a sweep's.
'Talk about black marketeers!' whispered Mrs Andrews. 'Anyone would think we'd got the whole lot of them here in the bedroom!'
They all woke up and went to have a bath one by one, and a good meal after that. Then back to camp with Mr Luffy, Jock with them, too.
It was glorious to snuggle down into the sleeping-bags. George called out to the three boys.
'Now don't you dare to go off without me tonight, see?'
'The adventure is over,' called back Dick. 'How did you like it, Jock?'
'Like it?' said Jock, with a happy sigh. 'It was simply - smashing!'
THE END

Five Get Into Trouble

'I was very angry with Richard when I heard what he had done,' said Mr Kent, when they were all sitting at table, eating hungrily. 'I'm ashamed of him.'
Richard looked downcast at once. He gazed beseechingly at Julian.
'Yes — Richard made a fool of himself,' said Julian. 'And landed us all into trouble. He wants taking in hand, sir.'
Richard looked even more downcast. He went very red, and looked at the table-cloth.
'But,' said Julian, 'he more than made up for his silliness, sir — he offered to squash himself into the boot of the car, and escape that way, and go and warn the police. That took some doing, believe me! I think quite a bit of Richard now!'
He leaned over and gave the boy a pat on the back. Dick and the others followed it up with thumps, and Timmy woofed in his deepest voice.
Richard was now red with pleasure. 'Thanks,' he said, awkwardly. 'I'll remember this.'
'See you do, my boy!' said his father. 'It might all have ended very differently!'

'But it didn't,' said Anne happily. 'It ended like this. We can all breathe again!'
'Till the next time,' said Dick, with a grin. 'What do you say, Timmy, old boy?'
'Woof,' said Timmy, of course, and thumped his tail on the floor. 'WOOF!'
THE END

Five Fall Into Adventure

The telephone bell suddenly rang, and made everyone jump.
‘Now what’s up?’ said Julian, and went down in the hall to answer it. A voice spoke in his ear.
‘Is that Kirrin 011? This is Telegrams. There is a cable for you, with reply prepaid. I am now going to read it.’
‘Go ahead,’ said Julian.

‘It is from Seville in Spain,’ said the voice, ‘and reads as follows:
“HERE IS OUR ADDRESS. PLEASE CABLE BACK SAYING IF EVERYTHING ALL RIGHT - UNCLE QUENTIN”.’
Julian repeated the message to the others, who had now crowded round him in the hall. ‘What reply shall I give?’ he asked. ‘No good upsetting them now everything is over!’
‘Not a bit of good,’ said Dick. ‘Say what you like!’
‘Right!’ said Julian, and turned to the telephone again. ‘Hallo - here is the reply message, please. Ready?
“HAVING A MOST EXCITING TIME, WITH LOTS OF FUN AND GAMES, EVERYTHING OKAY - JULIAN”.’
‘Everything okay,’ repeated Anne, as they went upstairs to bed once more ‘That’s what I like to hear at the end of an adventure. Everything okay.’
THE END

Five on a Hike Together

They bathed and washed every inch of themselves. They found their clothes neatly folded and brushed, and felt grateful. They brushed their hairs and arrived looking very clean and tidy in the inspector’s private room. He had a man there, inspecting the jewels and labelling them before he put them away into boxes.
‘You’ll be interested to know that we have picked up your couple,’ he told them. ‘The man had a broken ankle and couldn’t stir a step. The woman was thigh deep in the marsh when we found her. They quite welcomed the police, they were so fed up with everything!’
‘Oh good!’ said the four, and Anne beamed with relief. That settled Maggie and Dirty Dick then!
‘And these are the Fallonia jewels,’ said the inspector. ‘Not that I had any doubt of it. They are now being checked and labelled. I’ve no doubt the Queen of Fallonia and her titled friend will be extremely pleased to hear of your little exploit.’
A clock struck half past two. Julian looked at it. Half an hour only to get back in time. Would they do it?
‘It’s all right,’ said the inspector, with his wide grin. ‘Car’s at the door. I’ll come and see you off. You’ll all be back at your schools in good time - and if anyone believes your tale I’ll be surprised. Come along!’
He saw them into the car, Timmy too. ‘Good-bye,’ he said, and saluted them all smartly. I’m proud to have met you - good luck to you, Famous Five!’
Yes, good luck to you, Famous Five - and may you have many more adventures!

Five Have a Wonderful Time

Alfredo came up with his buttonhook-like torches, and his metal bowl. "I give you a treat," he announced to Uncle Quentin. "You would like to see me fire-eat?
Uncle Quentin stared at him as if he thought he had gone raving mad.
"He's a fire-eater, Uncle," explained Dick.
"Oh. No thank you, my good man. I would rather not see you eat fire," said Uncle Quentin, politely but very firmly. Alfredo was most disappointed. He had meant to give this man a real treat to make up for locking him into the caravan! He went away sadly, and Mrs. Alfredo screamed after him.
"You foolish man. Who wants to see you fire-eat? You have no brains. You are a big, silly bad man. You keep away with your fire-eating!" She disappeared into her caravan, and Uncle Quentin looked after her, astonished at her sudden outburst.
"This is really a very extraordinary place," he said. "And most extraordinary people. I'm going back home today, George. Wouldn't you all like to come with me? I don't really feel it's the right thing for you to get mixed up in so many queer doings."
"Oh no, Father," said George, in horror. "Go home when we've only just settled in! Of course not. None of us want to leave - do we Julian?" she said, looking round beseechingly at him.
Julian answered at once. "George is right, Uncle. We're just beginning to enjoy ourselves here. I think we're all agreed on that?"
"We are," said everyone, and Timmy thumped his tail hard and gave a very loud "WOOF."
"Very well," said Uncle Quentin, getting up. "I must go, I suppose. I'll catch the bus down to the station. Come down with me."
They went to see him off on the bus. It came up well on time and he got in.
"Good-bye," he said. "What message shall I give your mother, George? She'll expect to hear something from the five of you."
"Well," shouted everyone, as the bus rumbled off, "well -just tell her the FIVE ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME! Good-bye, Uncle Quentin, good-bye!"
THE END

Five Go Down to the Sea

The farmer guffawed again. Then he looked round at the listening children. ‘I was telling you,’ he said, ‘there’s only one thing these friends of mine don’t know.’
‘What’s that?’ asked George.
‘Well, they don’t know how to undo the zip!’ said the farmer, and roared again till the tears came into his eyes. ‘They don’t know how to - how to - haw-haw-haw-haw - undo the ZIP!’
‘Mr Penruthlan now, behave yourself!’ said his amused wife. ‘Why don’t you say straight out that you’re giving Clopper to Julian and Dick, instead of spluttering away like that?’
‘Gosh, are you really?’ said Dick, thrilled. ‘Thanks most awfully!’
‘Well, you got me what I wanted, so it’s only right and fair I should give you what you wanted,’ said the farmer, taking another plate of ham. ‘You’ll do well with Clopper, you and your brother. You can give us a show one day before you leave for home. Haw-haw - Clopper’s a queer one, see him looking at us now!’
‘He winked!’ said George, in an astonished voice, and Timmy came out from under the table to stare at Clopper with the others. ‘I saw him wink!’
Well, it wouldn’t be surprising if he did wink. He’s really had a most exciting time!

Five Go to Mystery Moor

‘Sniffer!’ called Julian. ‘Come back. You needn’t be afraid of this policeman. He is a friend of ours. He’ll help us to choose a bicycle for you.’
The sergeant looked extremely surprised at this remark, but at any rate it brought Sniffer back at once!
‘Well, we’ll go back now,’ said the sergeant. ‘We’ve got what we want, and Wilkins has already started back to get somebody on to watching the gypsies. Once we find out who they have to report to about this forged money we shall feel happy.’
‘I hope Wilkins went along down the railway,’ said Julian. ‘It’s so easy to get lost on this moor.’
‘Yes. He had the sense to do that, after hearing how you got lost!’ said the sergeant. ‘It’s wonderful up here, isn’t it, so peaceful and quiet and calm.’
‘Yes, you’d never think that mysteries could happen up here, would you?’ said Dick. ‘Old ones, and new ones! Well, I’m glad we happened to be mixed up in the newest one. It was quite an adventure!’
They all went back to the stables, to find that it was now almost dinner-time and that everyone had a very large appetite to match the very large dinner that Mrs Johnson had got ready. The girls went upstairs to wash. George went into Henry’s room.
‘Henry,’ she said, ‘thanks most awfully. You’re as good as a boy any day!’
‘Thanks, George,’ said Henry, surprised. ‘You’re better than a boy!’

Dick was passing the door and heard all this. He laughed, and stuck his head in at the door.
‘I say do let me share in these compliments!’ he said. ‘Just tell me I’m as good as a girl, will you?’
But all he got was a well-aimed hair-brush and a shoe, and he fled away, laughing.
Anne gazed out of her bedroom window over the moor. It looked so peaceful and serene under the April sun. No mystery about it now!
‘All the same, it’s a good name for you,’ said Anne. ‘You’re full of mystery and adventure, and your last adventure waited for us to come and share it. I really think I’d call this adventure “Five Go To Mystery Moor”.’
It’s a good name, Anne. We’ll call it that too!
THE END

Five Have Plenty of Fun

The policemen disappeared. Mr Elbur Wright beamed round happily, Berta on his knee.
‘Well, this is a very happy ending!’ he said. ‘And I can take my little Berta back with me after all!’
‘Oh no!’ wailed Berta, much to her father’s surprise.
‘What do you mean?’ he asked.
‘Gee, Pops, be a honey and let me stay on here,’ begged Berta. ‘These kids sure are wunnerful.’
‘WonDERful, wonDERful, wonDERful!’ chanted the others.
‘Of course let her stay on if she’d like to,’ said Aunt Fanny. ‘But as a girl this time, not a boy!’
George heaved a sigh of relief. That was all right then. She wouldn’t mind Berta as a girl, even though she was a silly girl!
‘Woof!’ said Timmy suddenly, and made everyone jump.
‘He says he’s jolly pleased you’re staying, Berta, because now Sally-dog will have to stay too,’ said Dick. ‘So he’ll have someone to play with as well!’
‘Shall we really send the sergeant a book about this adventure?’ said Anne. ‘Did you really mean it, Dick?’
‘Rather!’ said Dick. ‘Our fourteenth adventure - and may we have many more! What shall we call the book?’
‘I know!’ said George, at once. ‘I know! Let’s call it “FIVE HAVE PLENTY OF FUN”.’
Well, they did - and they hope you like it!
THE END

Five on a Secret Trail

‘The Inspector’s awfully pleased with us,’ said Julian. ‘And so is Sir James Lawton-Harrison too, apparently. We’re to get a reward - very hush-hush, though. We mustn’t say anything about it. There’s to be something for each of us.’
‘And for Timmy too?’ said George at once.
Julian looked round at Timmy. ‘Well, I can see what old Timmy ought to ask for,’ he said. ‘A new cardboard collar. He’s scratching his ear to bits!’
George screamed and rushed to bend over Timmy. She lifted a woebegone face. ‘Yes! He’s scratched so hard he’s made his ear bad again. Oh Timmy! You really are a fatheaded dog! Mother! Mother! Timmy’s messed up his ear again!’
Her mother looked into the room. ‘Oh George, what a pity! I told you not to take off that collar till his ear was absolutely healed!’
‘It’s maddening!’ said George. ‘Now everyone will laugh at him again.’
‘Oh no they won’t,’ said Julian, and he smiled at George’s scowling face. ‘Cheer up - it’s a very peculiar thing, George - this adventure began with Timmy and a cardboard collar - and bless me if it hasn’t ended with Timmy and a cardboard collar. Three cheers for old Timmy!’
Yes - three cheers for old Timmy! Get your ear well before the next adventure, Tim - you really can’t wear a cardboard collar again!
THE END

Five Go to Billycock Hill

‘It will seem awfully dull now, up in our camp on the hill-side,’ said Dick. ‘So many things have happened in the last few days - and now nothing will happen at all!’
‘Rubbish!’ said Jeff. ‘I promise you something will happen - something grand!’
‘What?’ asked everyone eagerly.
‘I shall see that you’re all given a free flight in a plane as soon as possible - perhaps tomorrow,’ said Jeff. ‘And - I shall pilot it! Now then - anyone want to loop the loop with me?’
What shouts and squeals from everyone! Jeff made a face and put his hands to his ears.

‘Me too, me too - and Curly!’ came Benny’s little high voice.
‘Where is Curly?’ said Jeff, looking out of the car. ‘I really must shake hooves with him - he’s been a wonderful friend to me and Ray! Wherever is he?’
‘I don’t know,’ said Benny, looking all round. ‘He must have...’
‘Runned away!’ chorused everyone, and Timmy barked at the sudden shout. He put his paws up on the car and licked Jeff’s hand.
‘Thanks, old boy,’ said Jeff. ‘We couldn’t have done without you either! So long, everybody - see you tomorrow - and then whoooops! - up in the clouds we’ll go!‘
THE END

Five Get Into a Fix

And maybe now the right people will get that strange metal - it’s worth a hundred times its weight in gold!”
“Come you in to your supper, Morgan bach, and shepherd too!” said Mrs. Jones, in her lilting voice. “The children too are coming. We’ve a roasting turkey - it’s your birthday, Morgan boy!”
“Well there now, I didn’t know it!” said Morgan and gave his mother such a hug that she squealed. “Let’s go in to the turkey. I’ve had nothing all day.”
Soon they were all sitting down before the most enormous turkey that the children had ever seen in their lives! Morgan carved it swiftly. Then he said something to his mother in Welsh and she smiled and nodded.
“Yes, you do that,” she said.
Morgan collected some slices of turkey on a big enamel dish, and then went to the door that led from the living-room into the farmyard. He roared loudly and the children jumped. What a voice!
“DAI! TANG! BOB! DOON! JOLL! RAFE! HAL!”
“He’s calling the dogs,” said Anne. “Just as he called them up the tunnel. Well - they certainly deserve a good dinner!”
Then down to the door came the seven dogs, jostling each other, barking excitedly. Morgan threw them the slices of turkey, and they gobbled the tasty bits up greedily.
“Woof!” said Timmy politely from behind him, and Morgan turned. He solemnly cut a big slice and a little slice.
“Here!” he said to Timmy and Dave. “You did well too! Catch!”
“There’ll not be much left of your birthday turkey!” said his mother, half-cross, half-amused. “Now fill
your glasses again, children, and we will drink to my Morgan - a better son there never was!”
Anne poured home-made lemonade into the empty glasses, while Morgan sat and smiled, listening to his seven dogs still barking together outside.
“Happy birthday, happy birthday! ” shouted everyone, raising their glasses, and Julian added his own few words.
“Happy birthday, sir - and may your voice NEVER grow less!”

Five on Finniston Farm

‘I say, Mrs Philpot - would you like us to leave too?’ asked Anne, suddenly realizing that she and the others were ranked as ‘visitors’, and must have been an added burden for poor Mrs Philpot.
‘Oh no, my dear, no - you’re not really visitors, you’re friends!’ said Mrs Philpot, smiling through her tears. ‘And what’s more I shan’t charge your mothers a single penny for having you here - see what good fortune you’ve brought us!’
‘All right - we’ll stay. We’d love to,’ said Anne. ‘We wouldn’t miss seeing what else is down in those castle cellars for anything. Would we, George?’
‘Gosh no!’ said George. ‘We want to be in on everything. This is just about the most exciting adventure we’ve ever had!’
‘We always say that!’ said Anne. ‘But the nice part about this one is - it isn’t finished yet! We’ll be able to go and watch the workmen and their drills. We’ll be able to help in moving all the exciting old things out of their hiding places - we’ll hear what prices you get for them - and see the new tractor! Honestly, I really do believe the second part of this adventure will be better than the first! Don’t you think so, Timmy?’
‘WOOF!’ said Timmy, and wagged his tail so hard that he knocked Snippet right over.
Well, good-bye, Five! Enjoy the rest of your adventures, and have a good time - and do make sure that Grand-dad is careful with that great old sword!

Five Go to Demon's Rocks

The boys went off with Jeremiah, the doctor and Constable Sharp, rowing over the rocks to the jetty. The doctor and Jeremiah said good-bye at the jetty, and the three boys and Mischief took Constable Sharp to find the treasure. They had to push their way through quite a crowd of people, who had collected on the quay, anxious to know why the light had shone out from the light-house in the night, and why the bell had sounded.
‘Make way, please,’ said the policeman, politely. ‘Everything is all right. These children were locked in the light-house and couldn’t get out. Make way, please. There is no need for any excitement!’
‘No - that’s all over now - isn’t it, Ju?’ said Dick. ‘Whew - it was just a bit too exciting, at times! I shall be quite glad to be at Kirrin Cottage again, with peace and quiet all around us.’
‘You’ve forgotten that Uncle Quentin and his friend will still be there,’ said Julian, with a grin. ‘There’ll be plenty going on while they’re around! I’m afraid they won’t be at all pleased to see us back!’
Oh yes they will, Julian - especially when they hear the exciting story you have to tell! You’ll have some fun showing round a gold coin or two. Timmy is to have one hung on his collar, as a reward for guarding you so well - how proud he will be!
Well, good-bye to you all! Good-bye, Julian, and Dick, and a good journey home! Good-bye, Anne and George - and Tinker too, and Mischief, you funny little monkey!
And good-bye, dear old Timmy, best of friends. How we wish we had a dog like you! See you all again some day!
THE END

Five Have a Mystery to Solve

‘Wilfrid, what about playing a tune on your little pipe? I’m so glad it’s found. I’d like to hear it again.’
Wilfrid was pleased. ‘All right,’ he said. ‘I’ll see if my friends here still remember me!’
He sat down on the hillside a little away from the others and began to blow down the pipe - and out came the strange little tune! At once the birds in the trees around turned their heads. In the bushes the lizards raised themselves, put their quaint heads on one side and listened. Rabbits stopped their play. The big hare bounded up the hill, its great ears taking in every note. A magpie flew down to the boy’s foot and sat there.
Wilfrid didn’t stir. He just went on playing as the creatures came to listen. Timmy listened too, and went
to the boy, pressing against him, licking his ear. Then he went back to George.
We’ll leave them all there in the sunshine, quiet and peaceful, watching the little creatures that Wilfrid can always bring around him.
Julian is lying back, looking at the April sky, glad that their adventure ended so well. Dick is looking down at Whispering Island, set in the brilliant blue harbour. Anne is half asleep - quiet little Anne who can turn into a tiger if she has to!
And George, of course, is close to Timmy, her arm round his neck, very happy indeed. Good-bye, Five - it was fun sharing in your grand adventure!

Five Are Together Again

‘I’m just wondering if Dad would let me keep Charlie here, while Mr Wooh is in prison,’ began Tinker, and stopped as Jenny gave a horrified shriek.
‘Tinker! If you so much as mention that idea to your father, I’ll walk straight out of this house and NEVER COME BACK!’ said Jenny. ‘That chimp would be in my kitchen all day long - oh yes, he would - and things would be disappearing out of my larder, and my cupboards, and my drawers, and he’d dance up and down and scream at me if I so much as said a word, and...’
‘All right, dear, dear Jenny, I won’t ask for Charlie, honest I won’t,’ said Tinker. ‘I do love you a bit more than I’d love a chimp - but think what a companion he would be for Mischief!’
‘I’m not thinking anything of the sort!’ said Jenny. ‘And what about you taking a bit of notice of that monkey of yours - bless us all if he hasn’t helped himself to half that jar of jam - just look at his sticky face! Oh, what a week this has been, what with chimps and monkeys and children and robberies, and George disappearing, and all!’
‘Dear old Jenny,’ said George, laughing as she went off into the kitchen. ‘What an exciting time we’ve had! I really did enjoy every minute of it!’
So did we, George. Hurry up and fall into another adventure. We are longing to hear what you and the others will be up to next. How we wish we could join you! Good-bye for now - and take care of yourselves, Five. Good luck!
Last edited by pete9012S on 19 Dec 2017, 19:32, edited 5 times in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five Books - The Endings

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Pete. It's interesting to compare the final paragraphs of the books. The ending of Five on Kirrin Island Again does sound decidedly "final", though I doubt it took much persuasion for Enid to agree to continue the series beyond the intended six titles. What a good job she did, or we'd have missed out on gems like Fall Into Adventure and Hike!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, thanks, Pete. It's interesting how in some of them Enid just finds a memorable line (usually spoken by one of the characters) to end on, but it seems most often she finishes in typical Blyton fashion by commenting in her authorial voice and often addressing her own characters directly. I remember in a talk I once attended by a Blyton expert, David Rudd, he pointed that out as one of her idiosyncrasies as a storyteller rather than a highly "literary" author — she very often writes as if she's telling us the story in person, watching it unfold in her own mind (which is how Enid herself said she wrote her stories) and speaking about or even to the characters as if they're right there in front of her, especially at the end of the story or at a significant twist in the plot.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Hmm. Charles Dickens would often, like Blyton, write as if he was "telling us the story in person" and speak "about or even to the characters". But I think people consider him a "literary" author.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Courtenay wrote:.. I remember in a talk I once attended by a Blyton expert, David Rudd, he pointed that out as one of her idiosyncrasies as a storyteller rather than a highly "literary" author — she very often writes as if she's telling us the story in person...
That's a very interesting point Courtenay, thank you.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

As a child, I always quite enjoyed the endings where Enid talked to the characters, or in a roundabout way, to the reader, with lines such as 'Cheerio Five - have a lovely time!' or 'And I'm sure we'll hear more about their adventures some day' etc (both these were made up - not proper Blyton endings, by the way!) - - but one thing I'm not so keen on is the way Blyton extended this to the endings of her chapters, especially as she reached the end of her writing career.

Books like 'The Mystery That never Was' or 'the Ragamuffin Mystery' or 'The Hidey Hole' etc all have many chapters that end with the intrusion of the author's voice. 'Hurry Snubby! They're behind you!' or 'But you're quite wrong, peter - do watch out!' etc. I find that quite annoying as an adult, but less annoying as a child. In fact I probably thought it was how all chapters should end, when I was a kid, as I was very influenced by Enid Blyton and thought her style was the ONLY style writers should employ! :lol:

I also really enjoyed the endings to the Galliano books where Enid would suddenly lapse into present-tense to finish the book. I don't think she did that to the same extent in any other series. Its a technique I also enjoy in the Railway Children by E Nesbit, where she narrates in present tense as the book closes. Its an interesting technique as it gives the reader the feeling that they are moving physically away from the characters as the book ends.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I would go along with that Rob... I disliked the intrusion of the author into the story in that way and it did irritate me as a child too, although the books available to me then were far fewer than Enid's eventual output.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Rob Houghton wrote:As a child, I always quite enjoyed the endings where Enid talked to the characters, or in a roundabout way, to the reader,
     I can't say I either liked or disliked this as a child, but perhaps I thought it was normal, because I mimicked it in many of my own stories of the time - something I would not do in the least now, as I dislike it, considering it intrusive, overly sentimental, and breaking the "fourth wall" in the story (breaking the illusion that it's real, and reminding the reader it's a story and the author is putting her voice in). So what I wonder is, if some children like this, whether, in a story that avoids it, children would notice this and find the story lacking because they expect it in some fashion. Anyway, regardless of that, I would now be very purist about it, because I don't like it in the least. To me, it seems like a form of talking down to the reader.
Rob Houghton wrote:I also really enjoyed the endings to the Galliano books where Enid would suddenly lapse into present-tense to finish the book. I don't think she did that to the same extent in any other series. Its a technique I also enjoy in the Railway Children by E Nesbit, where she narrates in present tense as the book closes. Its an interesting technique as it gives the reader the feeling that they are moving physically away from the characters as the book ends.
     This reminds me of a book I first read in 1967, aged 13, which I immensely enjoyed, called "Rasmus and the Tramp" by Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren ("... and the Vagabond" in some editions, but I believe the text and illustrations are exactly the same either way). It is set in Sweden and features a young orphan boy running away from an orphanage after giving up hope anyone will adopt him (apparently he believes only curly-haired boys will be adopted, and his hair is straight), and finding a tramp called Oscar and befriending him, after which the two wander about together and get into various adventures. One of these adventures sees the two getting tangled up with armed robbers, and this occupies perhaps more than half the book and is the centre of the climactic final three chapters or so. And one of these chapters, featuring the most action, is written in full in the present tense - which I find a bit odd, but I suppose it sort of works. (Not sure that I'd do this myself, though.)
     The book gives a very idyllic picture of rural Sweden, probably half a century or so ago, and I had such nostalgic memories of the book that I was pleased to see it on eBay about 15 years ago, and bought it and read again. It was pure nostalgia to read this again, and I enjoyed it just as much as I had done over 30 years prior to that. So I was a bit surprised to find that, although the idyllic depictions of Sweden still seemed the same, there were also many references to poverty and hardship that somewhat jarred with my sunny memories of the book.
     Anyway, it's a good book - well worth reading for anyone who likes stories of that sort. The action scenes with the robbers are more than a little reminiscent of Enid Blyton, although the writing style is not Blytonian. (It is an English translation from the Swedish original.)

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 20 Dec 2017, 13:02, edited 3 times in total.
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I don't think I've ever thought about Enid breaking the fourth wall until now, so I can't quite say it's bothered me. But I definitely know I wouldn't do it in my own stories, unless I was writing it for very small children who are quite often being read it out rather than reading it themselves. In that case, I think it's a very nice touch, but as an author, you can't quite predict that, can you?
You can call me Sunskriti!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I thought this quote from The Independent was interesting:
Good writing always stands the test of time and trends but, in the eyes of many critics, Blyton's continued success is an enigma because her work is considered to be exceptionally poor. Hollow plots, repetitive storylines, two-dimensional characters, limited vocabulary and bland, unliterary penmanship are all evident throughout her 700-plus books. They do, however, make a good substitute for a warm, fluffy comfort blanket and have provided succour to children for decades.

What Blyton's detractors ignore is that she was writing books for children (she has said herself she was not interested in the view of any critic over the age of 12) and never intended her tales to be probed for their realism or examined as the cultural artefacts of their era.

Blyton characters inhabit a world where good means good and bad means wicked, with nothing in between save lashings of whipped cream, roaring fires and midnight feasts. The stories provide children with escapism before they are old enough to realise they want somewhere to escape to.

In the 21st century, children are more likely to play with virtual friends on a games console than outside with real friends and a dog which isn't trained to be a prize fighter. Blyton is a good reminder of the freedom to actually have adventures that pre-teens once enjoyed.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 04007.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lashings of whipped cream..

Anyone know what book contains that phrase?

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote:I would go along with that Rob... I disliked the intrusion of the author into the story in that way and it did irritate me as a child
I must disagree, I have always rather liked it. To me, it felt as though Enid was telling the story to me, personally, and no-one else. Although more than capable of reading, himself, my grandson loves me to read to him at bedtime. When we get to such a part of the book/end of a chapter/story where this happens, he always answers - as if talking to Enid. I find it most touching.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Darrell71 wrote:I don't think I've ever thought about Enid breaking the fourth wall until now, so I can't quite say it's bothered me. But I definitely know I wouldn't do it in my own stories, unless I was writing it for very small children who are quite often being read it out rather than reading it themselves. In that case, I think it's a very nice touch, but as an author, you can't quite predict that, can you?
     Well, it may be in very small way, but I think it is definitely breaking the fourth wall. Mainly a theatre term, I believe it refers to anything at all that doesn't take place in the story or apply literally to story events or characters, or which reminds you it is only a story - and that would include authorial opinions not mediated through a character, the author addressing the reader or any of the characters in the second person, and so on.
     C. S. Lewis does it occasionally in his Narnia Chronicles, where he takes the reader aside, as it were, for a brief comment about something which is not in the story but somehow has a bearing on the story. He's a good writer in general, but that is not one of my favourite features of his writing style.
     I would not feel comfortable doing this even for very small children. i don't know if it's considered an essential feature for that audience, but, if so, it would just show that I would not be suited to writing for that age group - which I am aware of anyway, and would never attempt.

("Info-dumps" - solid blocks of essential information inserted into a story (often science-fiction) which are just related by the author, not through a character but just narrating the information impersonally without addressing the reader - could be seen as breaking the fourth wall, i suppose, but I find it a bit borderline, and on the whole I find it quite acceptable and it doesn't feel like a fourth-wall breach to me. If it can't be worked into the fabric of the story, I'd far rather receive the "info-dump" and so be able to understand what's going on than continue without it and wonder for five or six chapters why things are happening the way they are.)

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 20 Dec 2017, 12:13, edited 2 times in total.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

pete9012S wrote:
lashings of whipped cream..

Anyone know what book contains that phrase?
     Not sure - I do recall the phrase, though. I'm pretty sure it's one of the Famous Five stories - probably at some high tea they were at.
     It's funny how people often cite "lashings of ginger beer" - usually meaning it to be disparaging - but I'm sure that appears nowhere. Indeed, I don't think "lashings" is even a word you'd ever use to describe generous quantities of a liquid. But I'm sure "lashings of cream" appears once or twice. Not in every second book - just once or maybe twice in Blyton's entire output. So the critics misrepresent Blyton when they imply that "lashings" is a word she grossly overuses, which I don't find at all to be the case. And it would be a far more appropriate word for cream than for a drink. (In retrospect, it seems a bit surprising that those snide critics, ever-ready to put Enid Blyton down, haven't made any reference to the supposed B.D.S.M. implications of the word "lashings" being used like that!)

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Regarding 'breaking the fourth wall', notice this small snippet from the conclusion of Mr Pink-Whistle and Santa Claus which has been mentioned recently on other threads:

They stood and waved good-bye to Joll and the fine reindeer. The
bells sounded more and more faintly, and then died away.
"You're a naughty cat. Sooty," said Pink-Whistle when they were
sitting drinking hot lemonade, by the warm fire. "But I must say you were
a very good hot water bottle! Listen—one little boy was awake and saw
me. I'm afraid he'll never believe in Santa Claus again, because he saw my
top hat."

"Well, he'll believe in you all right!" said Sooty.
"Let's have this exciting evening put into a story, Master—and then when the boy reads it,
he'll know that he was the only child in the world who saw you instead of
Santa Claus this Christmas Eve! How surprised he must have been to see
someone coming down the chimney in a top hat!"

I must say I’d have been surprised, too—but I'd have known it was
kind old Pink-Whistle, wouldn't you?

Society Member
MJE

Fourth wall; Father Christmas vs. Santa Claus.

Post by MJE »

pete9012S wrote:Regarding 'breaking the fourth wall', notice this small snippet from the conclusion of Mr Pink-Whistle and Santa Claus which has been mentioned recently on other threads:
[...]
"Well, he'll believe in you all right!" said Sooty.
"Let's have this exciting evening put into a story, Master—and then when the boy reads it,
he'll know that he was the only child in the world who saw you instead of
Santa Claus this Christmas Eve! How surprised he must have been to see
someone coming down the chimney in a top hat!"
     I don't believe this is is technically a breach, although those references to putting the events that happened into a story for children to read later on certainly hint unmistakably at it. But it would be *possible*, if rather unlikely, for events to happen, and then for the characters to speculate on writing about the events and later having readers - so, taking it very literally, I don't believe it's a breach. It sounds rather artificial, though, so I wouldn't have done that myself.
pete9012S wrote:
I must say I’d have been surprised, too—but I'd have known it was kind old Pink-Whistle, wouldn't you?
     At this point I consider that it becomes an actual breach of the fourth wall. It's quite similar to some of the comments in the Famous Five books, etc., as mentioned above in this thread.

But - on a completely different tangent - I'd like to ask this: in any Enid Blyton stories that deal with Christmas, how often does she name the mythical character "Santa Claus", and how often "Father Christmas"? Does she prefer one term over the other, or does she use the two about equally often? Do both names ever appear in the same story?
     I ask because, growing up in 1950s-1960s Australia, the character was always "Father Christmas", and it is only later that "Santa Claus" began to intrude and eventually almost completely swallowed up "Father Christmas", although I was always under the impression (without ever having really researched it in detail) that this was a new-fangled introduction from America. For this reason, I have always resisted it, and always refer to "Father Christmas", never "Santa Claus" or "Santa". (If you go and read the discussion pages for the Wikipedia articles on "Father Christmas" and "Santa Claus", you will learn that this is a red-hot, explosive topic very much bound up with politics, political correctness, and heated emotions - contribute at your own peril!)
     So it surprises me to see that there are Enid Blyton stories that refer to "Santa Claus".
     Can anyone shed any light on this?
     Am I mistaken that Santa Claus is mainly American, especially during the time Enid Blyton was writing?
     And while there's no doubt now that "Santa Claus" is dressed in red and white, lives at the North Pole, is fat and white-bearded and jolly, and goes about in a sleigh pulled by reindeer, was "Father Christmas" similarly depicted? I recall that C. S. Lewis's "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" includes Father Christmas, but I don't recall the description including any of those features I just attributed to Santa Claus. And, back in my own childhood, when he was firmly Father Christmas, I don't quite recall just how many of those features had already been grafted onto him. I'm sure at least some of these features were attached to "Father Christmas" in Australia in the 1960s, but I'm not quite sure now if all of them were.

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 20 Dec 2017, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
Society Member