Do you have a favourite chapter/scene of ALL?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Sally H

Re: Do you have a favourite chapter/scene of ALL?

Post by Sally H »

Never mind - we can carry on this delightful discussion when we meet next year at our Blyton day on Saturday 12 May in Hampshire.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great reminder, Sally. :D

Here it is again:

SATURDAY, 12TH MAY 2018 - EXBURY GARDENS, HAMPSHIRE.

Please make a note in your diaries. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Eddie Muir wrote:My feeling too, Julie. :wink:
What a cop-out, lol! :D :wink:
Not really, I just don't have all day to spend on the site listing my favourites. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Chapter 5 in Five Go Off In A Caravan, The Way to Merran Lake is a perfect a chapter for me in any of Enids books.

For a few pages, you are trundling along country lanes with our heroes, staying on farms, cooking on open fires and sleeping in caravans. Anne secretly hopes that they never find the lake and with Enid at her very best, I often feel that way too. Perfect.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree. I would say for a great old-fashioned summertime atmosphere, five Go Off In A Caravan is the best. It makes me feel very nostalgic for those days, trundling along in a caravan, viewing the beautiful English countryside...even though I wasn't even born in those days!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I often thought that "Five on a Hike Together" was pretty good for that kind of carefree atmosphere, too, even though it wasn't in summer - and even though the adventure had sort of started and so a few things had gone wrong, a few slightly strange, disquieting events had occurred.
     Perhaps the opening chapters of "Five Get into Trouble", too, have that kind of atmosphere - at least until it darkens rather with the events surrounding Richard Kent - which of course are the genesis of the whole adventure, so can't be dispensed with.

Regards, Michael Edwards.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:...the ending of the Galliano's Circus series, Circus Days Again, where Lotta rides away alone to find Mr Galliano and bring him back to save the circus from closing down. The moment when she reaches the hotel, almost completely worn out, only to be told by the porter to "go away" — and then suddenly she hears the enormous shout of "LOTTA! MY LITTLE LOTTA! What are you doing here?"... definitely another unforgettable scene.
Ooh yes, I love that scene! It's so joyous after all the tension and uncertainty.
Nick wrote:Chapter 5 in Five Go Off In A Caravan, The Way to Merran Lake is a perfect a chapter for me in any of Enids books.

For a few pages, you are trundling along country lanes with our heroes, staying on farms, cooking on open fires and sleeping in caravans. Anne secretly hopes that they never find the lake and with Enid at her very best, I often feel that way too. Perfect.
I agree, Nick. Deliciously idyllic.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Nick wrote:Chapter 5 in Five Go Off In A Caravan, The Way to Merran Lake is a perfect a chapter for me in any of Enids books.

I just started re reading this a few days ago, so I know exactly what you mean. Quite an atmosphere, and yet so relaxed.

The chapter/scene that comes to my mind immediately after reading the title of this thread is the one in Sea of Adventure where the children set off in Horace Tripalong's boat, decide to rescue Bill, and then rescue him. It's more than one chapter, but that entire sequence of events of them setting off, swimming in the lagoon, discovering the guns, hiding under seaweed, Horace being an idiot on the boat, running out of gas, hiding among the birds, and finally, being rescued by the helicopter. It's non stop, exciting, beautiful, and features one of her most memorable dialogues: Where Bill says "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
You can call me Sunskriti!