The name "Spiggy"

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
prime.mover
Favourite book/series: Secrets

The name "Spiggy"

Post by prime.mover »

It's an odd name "Spiggy", like a child's nickname -- but it's a smuggler and a place named after him.

Blyton was usually superb at giving places verisimilitudinous names, and this one sticks out like a bit of gristle in a stew, so what could she have been thinking when she wrote this?

I have a suggestion -- the name could be a corruption of the Italian name Respighi.
No matter how fast or how far you run you're still in the space where you are.
-- Russell
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: The name "Spiggy"

Post by pete9012S »

Great Pines Of Rome you could be right!! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I must admit, when I was a child, the name 'Spiggy Holes' was very exciting and inviting. It made the book very attractive to me, and I loved the story. Strangely, as an adult, I find it the weakest in the series.

Which backs up what Enid used to say about not listening to any critic over the age of 12!

I guess Enid knew what she was doing!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've always loved the name "Spiggy Holes". It sounds quaint and exciting and reminds me of real-life names like Wookey Hole and Boggy Bottom.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've always considered Spiggy Holes to be a great name with a promise of excitement. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Just had a thought that "Spiggy" might have been inspired by the word "spigot", which is a peg or plug for stopping the vent of a cask or barrel - something with which smugglers of alcoholic beverages would have been very familiar.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/spigot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I agree with Eddie. I always thought it was just one of Enid's special made up names. Being so unusual I felt certain that dark and exciting adventures were going to occur there.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

My own guess is that although Enid made the name up she was - consciously or not - thinking of the Purbeck name 'Spyway', namely Spyway Farm / Barn. This is the old farm on the hilltop that you have to pass on a walk up the track from parking in the village of Langton Matravers (or if it was already in use in the late 1930s the car park a few hundred yards up the track) over the hill to Dancing Ledge. Enid seems to have known about the rock-cut pool at DL by the time she wrote First Term at Malory Towers, which has an identical pool, though she may not have visited it that early. Even if she had not walked past Spyway on her way to DL during a trip to the Corfe area in the 1930s (her first stay in Swanage was after Spiggy Holes was published) she would have seen the name on a map.
The 'Holes' of SH seem to have come from the real life smugglers caves between Beer and Seaton in NE Devon, near her ?1936 holiday destination of Budleigh Salterton, which were known as either the 'Beer Holes' or 'Seaton Holes'. The 'well-known' smuggler Spiggy is dated at around 100 years before the Arnolds' visit, and if you go back the same length of time from the book's publication you get to the late 1830s, within the lifetime of well-known Beer smuggler Jack Rattenbury (who even wrote an autobiography, possibly partly 'ghost-written'). 'Spiggy Holes' is also across the bay from 'Longrigg' - do the L and R hint at Seaton's neighbour Lyme Regis? It's all plausible, anyway!
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Also, the house the children stay in is called 'Peep-Hole' which backs up the idea regards the caves near Budleigh Salterton. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member