Assorted Stories Book Confusion

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Assorted Stories Book Confusion

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: No, I suspect Dad was just a fast reader! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Most of the stories in Award Popular series have been collected in older books series. But some of them are collected for the first time in books. Those stories that have never been collected before are taken from Sunny Stories!

I know for sure that currency has been updated. But I could not confirm if other aspects have been updated or changed.

I bought all 69 books in this series from two bookshops near my house. I needed 3 more titles to complete my collection, After a year or two, the new cover designs was being sold. I didn't want to buy them because the designs were not the same. So I bought those three online.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

One example- The story titled Tip, Top and Tup plus 3 untraced stories to boot!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... p?magid=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by sixret on 11 Jun 2017, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

Another example- The story titled Tell-Tale!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... er+Stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sixret

Post by sixret »

I started doing this research/project about 10 years ago and I have come to conclusion that this series has hidden gems since! The reason I have been promoting this series is because you can buy a title in this series as low as 20p!(not online though). And you can buy them cheap in online market 78p per book! I will let you know the name of the online shop if you're interested. The postage cost for the first book is £2.59 and £1.99 for each additional book within UK.

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The books in the Award Popular Rewards series were republished by Bounty and a selection of them are currently available in The Works for £1.50 each. As well as the currency being updated, some of the language and some characters' names have been modernised.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just replying quickly to a remark earlier in this thread about repetition of short stories. If you are buying the original short story books published when Enid was alive you will be pushed to find any repetition at all. Enid kept a meticulous record in a large workbook of each short story and where it came from (and even the word count!), and by doing this she didn't use a story twice. I used this book frequently during my research.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Just replying quickly to a remark earlier in this thread about repetition of short stories. If you are buying the original short story books published when Enid was alive you will be pushed to find any repetition at all. Enid kept a meticulous record in a large workbook of each short story and where it came from (and even the word count!), and by doing this she didn't use a story twice. I used this book frequently during my research.
Of course, its not that simple though! The stories contained in the Boys and Girls News Chronicle volumes were indeed reprinted; in the 1940's and 1950's 'Pitkin' books such as 'The Enchanted Sea and other stories' 'Too-Wise the wonderful Wizard and other stories' or 'Benny and the Princess and other stories', 'The Magic Snow-bird and other stories' 'The Run-away Teddy Bear and other stories' etc. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Just replying quickly to a remark earlier in this thread about repetition of short stories. If you are buying the original short story books published when Enid was alive you will be pushed to find any repetition at all. Enid kept a meticulous record in a large workbook of each short story and where it came from (and even the word count!), and by doing this she didn't use a story twice. I used this book frequently during my research.
That's one of the reasons I only buy old original books. Having said that I have two awards books I had as gifts, both of them have stories about a neglected dog whose mean spirited owner is taught a lesson. One is 'The Sneezing Dog' which has Collie and his owner Mister Snoot, and other 'A Shock for Mister Meanie' which has Trotter. Both of these are practically copies of each other but are they original or is there another version again in an older book? :?
Rob Houghton wrote: Of course, its not that simple though! The stories contained in the Boys and Girls News Chronicle volumes were indeed reprinted; in the 1940's and 1950's 'Pitkin' books such as 'The Enchanted Sea and other stories' 'Too-Wise the wonderful Wizard and other stories' or 'Benny and the Princess and other stories', 'The Magic Snow-bird and other stories' 'The Run-away Teddy Bear and other stories' etc. 8)
That's what I mean, if you have the New Chronicles is there any point in buying the Pitkins or vice versa? What about the 72 Deans editions? Are all those stories already done in earlier series? What is the difference between the Bedside books and the Tell-a-Story series? This is why I think getting the short stories is more complicated than say Find-Outers or Secret Seven :lol: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶