Is this booklet easy to buy?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Is this booklet easy to buy?

Post by Wolfgang »

Maybe yours should be "Master of the society", Tony ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Good idea Wolfgang. :D
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Wow I have learnt a whole ton of things here that I never even knew existed! There's too many posts to quote but I've read them all and will try to answer the questions I've seen. First up, I did not realise that being signed up on here doesn't automatically make you a member. I thought it did and the reason I haven't got the blue signature you all have and some of the links won't let me view them was because my post count hasn't reached a certain limit yet. I'm only used to forums where post counts are what give you access to things, this is the first and only 'fan site' for someone I've used as there's no-one else I'm enough of a fan of to want to join a site dedicated to them! As for a journal, yes I've seen/read mentions on some threads but again thought it was something between long standing members only and didn't like to butt in as I'm still new here compared to everyone else and I don't know anyone the way most of you seem to know each other. If I can though I would love to join and subscribe, however I haven't got any money spare now until the end of the month, can I pay then? Or is there a set date?
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote: If I can though I would love to join and subscribe, however I haven't got any money spare now until the end of the month, can I pay then? Or is there a set date?
You can pay any time, and your year's subscription will start from that date. The Society was much older than the website of course and so many of us were members before the website was set up. We've met each other at Society 'Days' which used to be held but now sadly no longer are, although there are some 'meet-ups' from time to time (which I've never managed to get to).

The Journal is very much worth the price of being a member.

I think you can pay for membership on this site, using paypal if you would rather, or send a cheque to Tony. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

I can't do any 'meet ups' unfortunately, I can't drive and I'm nowhere near any locations (unless theres an EB day in Barmouth or somewhere nearby :lol: ) so I can't contribute much that way, but I will most certainly join the membership subscription for the website as soon as I can :D .
Society Member

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I travelled 500 miles for a meet up a few years ago... and Lenoir flew from South Africa to be there too ;)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

IceMaiden wrote:Wow I have learnt a whole ton of things here that I never even knew existed! There's too many posts to quote but I've read them all and will try to answer the questions I've seen. First up, I did not realise that being signed up on here doesn't automatically make you a member. I thought it did and the reason I haven't got the blue signature you all have and some of the links won't let me view them was because my post count hasn't reached a certain limit yet. I'm only used to forums where post counts are what give you access to things, this is the first and only 'fan site' for someone I've used as there's no-one else I'm enough of a fan of to want to join a site dedicated to them! As for a journal, yes I've seen/read mentions on some threads but again thought it was something between long standing members only and didn't like to butt in as I'm still new here compared to everyone else and I don't know anyone the way most of you seem to know each other. If I can though I would love to join and subscribe, however I haven't got any money spare now until the end of the month, can I pay then? Or is there a set date?
This was me in 2006. I had the exact same assumptions regarding Journals back then. I thought the Journals were only for British members or small circle of members! :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona1986 wrote:I travelled 500 miles for a meet up a few years ago... and Lenoir flew from South Africa to be there too ;)
:shock: Blimey, now that's dedication!!
sixret wrote:This was me in 2006. I had the exact same assumptions regarding Journals back then. I thought the Journals were only for British members or small circle of members! :lol:
It's sort of a natural thing to assume really though isn't it? You don't expect as a new or even fairly new poster to have the same access or options as more long standing members. You expect to work your way up to the same level and on a forum it makes sense that it would be through your post count. At least that would be my way of thinking anyway :lol:.
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote: It's sort of a natural thing to assume really though isn't it? You don't expect as a new or even fairly new poster to have the same access or options as more long standing members. You expect to work your way up to the same level and on a forum it makes sense that it would be through your post count. At least that would be my way of thinking anyway :lol:.
Yes, but the Journal, and being a member of The Enid Blyton Society has nothing whatsoever to do with the website! The website is a way of promoting the Society, but the Society was around for years before the website. The fact that some things can't be accessed on the website unless you're a Society Member is supposed to encourage people to join and become members. You don't 'earn' anything extra by being a long term contributor to the forums, etc.

The Enid Blyton Society would still exist (and indeed, did exist!) without the website. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That idea would never have occurred to me. I used to get the Journal long before I started looking at the website and eventually taking the plunge over 10 years ago. Even then I only posted rarely for several years. I suppose it depends a bit where your interest lies. My early posts were mainly on the Books thread.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Plenty of society members don't post on the forums. I joined the society immediately after registering on the forums. I seem to remember that Tony once mentioned the proportion of members who post on here, it was quite low I think.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Of the people who received Journal 62, about 5 - 10% are registered forum users but some of these are infrequent posters. To put it another way 90 - 95% are not registered on the forums! :roll:
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

In other words the Journal would be massively in the red should it only be available to people who had posted over a certain number of times!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

IceMaiden wrote:You don't expect as a new or even fairly new poster to have the same access or options as more long standing members. You expect to work your way up to the same level and on a forum it makes sense that it would be through your post count. At least that would be my way of thinking anyway :lol:.
Actually I wouldn't make the number of posts the criterion then, but the number of qualified posts. How do you want to evaluate that?
If just the number was the criterion, the forum would be flooded with spam posts just to increase the post count. That's always something that put me off forums - when people posted just to have posted, distracting people from the important posts and stealing their time this way.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Wolfgang wrote: If just the number was the criterion, the forum would be flooded with spam posts just to increase the post count. That's always something that put me off forums - when people posted just to have posted, distracting people from the important posts and stealing their time this way.
I believe that used to happen here with some of the younger members a few years ago! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)