Is this booklet easy to buy?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Is this booklet easy to buy?

Post by IceMaiden »

I found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391739137092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it would be a useful booklet to use to see which books I've got and which I still need for my collection. Only problem is I can't currently afford it! Is it something that can be bought relatively easy or not? It won't make any difference really as I can't bid on this one whatever, but I'd like to know if I could get a copy at some point. I can't find it in the Cave, unless I'm looking in the wrong place :P
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Is this booklet easy to buy?

Post by sixret »

This website is way better, pleasing to the eyes and free as a reference, in my opinion. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

This was great in its day but I would agree with Sixret that the website has now taken over.

I have Tony's excellent four volume set of illustrated bibliographies - fantastic to check facts, especially original prices etc. which aren't included in The Cave. I would personally say the illustrated bibliographies are the best books resource to have outside of this website.

Also - if you are questioning the price, then I think that's a good gauge of how much you really want something!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Rob Houghton wrote:Also - if you are questioning the price, then I think that's a good gauge of how much you really want something!
I couldn't agree more, £4.99 is an outrageous price to pay on a booklet unless you really want it, it is even more expensive than a Journal! It isn't listed on the website as it has been out of print for 20 years.
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Well nobody else bid on it so whoever won didn't have to pay any more! I agree that the website is better but I really wanted a physical list to make notes on or with. Good as websites are you can't write a checklist on a screen and you can't 'keep' it the same way. As for the price, I don't think it's that pricey really, it cost me almost as much to print out 40 pages of the Cave in the library and they weren't done up nicely into a booklet!
Society Member

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Gosh your library has cheap printing then! It would cost £10 for 40 pages in mine.

I don't think £5 is too bad for a long out of print booklet tbh. But you could always create an Excel or Word file using info from the cave and then annotate that to your heart's content.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I couldn't agree more, £4.99 is an outrageous price to pay on a booklet unless you really want it, it is even more expensive than a Journal! It isn't listed on the website as it has been out of print for 20 years.
:wink:

Better to invest in the 4 volume bibliography set. Highly recommended. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I totally agree, Rob: four superb volumes. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona1986 wrote:Gosh your library has cheap printing then! It would cost £10 for 40 pages in mine.

I don't think £5 is too bad for a long out of print booklet tbh. But you could always create an Excel or Word file using info from the cave and then annotate that to your heart's content.
Is that in black and white or colour? That seems expensive to me for plain black & white pages but very reasonable for colour ones!

What I wanted from that booklet was a record of all the books so I could tick off which I had and which I needed, then make various notes in it as a sort of record. I'll get a notebook when I've got some spare money again and make up my own, I'm a great believer in thinking if you can't get what you want you have to make it yourself :lol: .
Rob Houghton wrote:Better to invest in the 4 volume bibliography set. Highly recommended. 8)
Is that in the Cave? I'll have a look for that, thanks Rob :)
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Better to invest in the 4 volume bibliography set. Highly recommended. 8)
You can buy the last three volumes in the society shop on this website...I think volume one is out of print.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

25 pence per page B&W, 40 pence per page of colour, Ice Maiden. Except for CVs where your first ten pages are free. Some people seem to think that's very reasonable, other people are horrified by the price.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote:
IceMaiden wrote:
You can buy the last three volumes in the society shop on this website...I think volume one is out of print.
I believe they are only available to Society members/Journal subscribers.
Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona1986 wrote:25 pence per page B&W, 40 pence per page of colour, Ice Maiden. Except for CVs where your first ten pages are free. Some people seem to think that's very reasonable, other people are horrified by the price.
Your library charges more for b/w than ours but less for colour! Their both very reasonable prices though. Ours is 10p for b/w and 50p for colour which seems a pretty fair amount. It certainly works out cheaper to go and have something printed than the costly upkeep of home printer ink!
Rob Houghton wrote: You can buy the last three volumes in the society shop on this website...I think volume one is out of print.
I've just found that, I never realised it's possible to buy books and magazines through here before :oops: . Are they PDF e-books or actual magazines? As once I've got some funds again there's quite a few that I'd like to get if possible! It's a shame the first one isn't available though, is there any way of getting a copy somehow?
Moonraker wrote: I believe they are only available to Society members/Journal subscribers.
I'm not subscribed to anything as I've never been asked to be, but surely being signed in under my username is enough proof of being a society member (isn't everyone who joins the site classed as a society member? Surely that's the point of signing up, to be a part of the community on here) and not someone random on the Internet? :|
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'm sure you have seen talk of the Society Journal, IceMaiden. By paying £10.00 per year you become a Society member and will get 3 journals a year - lovely productions with colour as well as black and white illustrations. Being a member also entitles you to read the weekly serial. You can see what is in the journal by following the link on the home page.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Here's the link to the information you need to join the Society, IceMaiden:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/subscribe.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Daisy says, the Journal is a lovely production and is great value for money. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member