What is Uncle Quentin Working On?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Soenke Rahn

Re: What is Uncle Quentin Working On?

Post by Soenke Rahn »

I suppose Quentins works with mathematical formulas and numbers must be something realy mysterious with complex questions so that he worked with other scientis again and again. Maybe the Cold fusion ;-) Maybe we will listen of it, if it will work one time and he will get the Nobel Prize so that he will be more famous than the five kids ;-)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's a great idea Soenke! I can just imagine Aunt Fanny trying to get him to the presentation ceremony on time and he would be wondering what all the fuss was about! :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

:D
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Remember that the first book--"Five on a Treasure Island" was published in 1942. At that time, in the real world, the Second World War was going on. And the atomic bomb had not been invented.

And as I have been saying, there really is no indication in the Famous Five novels that the 2nd World War is taking place, or has taken place.

This is what I am speculating about.

I am not familiar with the 1957 film, but in the original book Uncle Quentin doesn't construct a ship.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Ohhh yes, have forgotten that the first one was published in 1942. But on the other hand there exist in the Adventure Series these relations. http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/adventure-series.php But the Adventure series seems for me for older kids. ;-) More global views etc. in it. ;-)
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

My theory about the Famous Five is at the moment limited to the Famous Five. That is, they must live in a different universe from the Adventure Series. Thus, the Famous Five live in a universe where World War 2 never happened, but the kids of the Adventure Series live in a universe more similar to ours, where World War 2 DID happen.

(Hey folks, I am just playing a game here with these books. Don't take this too seriously.)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes...I sort of agree -- although I would probably reverse it, and say that the Adventure books, The Adventurous Four, Smuggler Ben and The Children of Kidillin are the books that are unusual - because they acknowledge World War 2 while pretty much every other Enid Blyton book (including The Famous Five, Find Outers, School Stories, Family stories etc) is set in a strange parallel universe where the war isn't ever mentioned.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Leaving the war to one side for a moment, it suddenly seemed a bit sad to me that Quentin Kirrin as a noble scientist was working indefatigably to achieve great things for humanity and the human race in the way of extremely low cost/free power and energy for the whole of mankind amongst other ideas...

However,I can't recall any part of the books from 1942 - 1963 that actually list or discuss these achievements becoming a reality for the everyday man in the street.

It seems acknowledged by all that he is a very clever man with an incredible scientific mind,but what did he actually accomplish? Did he ever receive any official accreditation from his peers or the government or his King/Queen ?

He was famous enough for his daughter to be kidnapped,so maybe nefarious shady people in the 'scientific underworld' were desperate to get hold of his work/blueprints/formulae etc etc...

I seem to remember from the books that the children were supposed never to discuss Quentin's work with strangers or unknowns.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

This is the problem that TV Tropes calls "Reed Richards is useless".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sIsUseless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

@Pete @KEVP Hehe :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Back in the very first adventure we learn a bit about Quentin's work schedule:
He thought it was very unfair of his uncle to take the box like that. "Listen— I'm not going to stand this. We'll get hold of that box somehow and look into it. I'm sure your father won't bother himself with it, George— he'll start writing his book again and forget all about it. I'll wait my chance and slip into his study and get it, even if it means a spanking if I'm discovered!"
"Good!" said George. "We'll all keep a watch and see if Father goes out."
So Quentin seems to be on the process of writing a book.

So they took it in turns to keep watch, but most annoyingly their Uncle Quentin remained in his study all the morning....
"Doesn't your father ever go out?" he said to George, when it was her turn to keep watch. "I don't think he leads a very healthy life."
"Scientists never do," said George, as if she knew all about them. "But I tell you what— he may go to sleep this afternoon! He sometimes does!"
He stole to the windows and looked in. One was a little way open and Julian opened it a little more. He saw his uncle lying back in a comfortable arm-chair, his mouth a little open, his eyes closed, fast asleep! Every time he took a breath, he snored.
"Well, he really does look sound asleep," thought the boy. "And there's the box, just behind him, on that table. I'll risk it. I bet I'll get an awful spanking if I'm caught, but I can't help that!"
At last Julian gets his chance and creeps into Uncle Quentin's study...

It's all work and no play for these hard working scientist types.Eileen Soper captures this dramatic moment beautifully...

As does the inimitable Goddess Of Line Drawing Betty Maxey.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I love Betty Maxey's version - although I think Enid got it wrong slightly - its quite plain that Uncle Quentin was dozing off during the writing of his next Number 1 pop tune...
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

@Pete If the second picture would be the real, I would suppose that rock star uncle Quentin is dull, sleepy and tired after his last gig. :D Ok, seems to be clear that uncle quentions scientifical subject is not music, history, the society, economy. Possibly biology, chemistry, physics and math. :-)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:I love Betty Maxey's version - although I think Enid got it wrong slightly - its quite plain that Uncle Quentin was dozing off during the writing of his next Number 1 pop tune...
Which was, of course... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqAvFx3NxUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D :D :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

pete9012S wrote:Leaving the war to one side for a moment, it suddenly seemed a bit sad to me that Quentin Kirrin as a noble scientist was working indefatigably to achieve great things for humanity and the human race in the way of extremely low cost/free power and energy for the whole of mankind amongst other ideas...

However,I can't recall any part of the books from 1942 - 1963 that actually list or discuss these achievements becoming a reality for the everyday man in the street.

It seems acknowledged by all that he is a very clever man with an incredible scientific mind,but what did he actually accomplish? Did he ever receive any official accreditation from his peers or the government or his King/Queen ?

He was famous enough for his daughter to be kidnapped,so maybe nefarious shady people in the 'scientific underworld' were desperate to get hold of his work/blueprints/formulae etc etc...

I seem to remember from the books that the children were supposed never to discuss Quentin's work with strangers or unknowns.
I've just read Kirrin Island Again, and this is pretty much what I was thinking. He tells one of the villains at the end that he will be ready to give his gift to the world the following year. So either in the Famous Five universe, Quentin Kirrin invented nuclear power as almost limitless energy (which seems unlikely on a small island). Or else, whatever he was working on doesn't come to fruition, and the story doesn't have such a happy ending after all.