Russian Find-Outers Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Russian Find-Outers Books

Post by Wolfgang »

I wonder if number 2 is hidden room (Fatty caught after falling asleep), though it could be strange messages as well.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Do you mean Secret Room, Wolfgang? I too was thinking about Secret Room for Number 2.

Number 3 appears to show a tyre and bats. My first thought is that it could be Hidden House (cars feature prominently, as do night-time escapades). On the other hand, a tyre track also features in Holly Lane. Car numbers are important in Banshee Towers too - and I suppose bats might be said to fit the spooky title.

Number 6 shows Goon (I assume it's Goon) lying on the road after falling off his bicycle. That happens at the beginning of The Mystery of the Strange Bundle. There may be other books in which Goon also falls off his bicycle though.

Another possibility for Strange Bundle is Number 5, as Fatty goes out at night asking about his "sleepwalking uncle" and sees Goon on his bicycle.
Daisy wrote:I wonder if number 8 can be Spiteful Letters with the telegraph boy on the bike - not sure of the relevance of the bush with one strange decoration on it though!
Maybe Number 8 is Holly Lane and that's a green tree outside Green-Trees! :lol: I agree that it could also be Spiteful Letters though.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Daisy wrote:I wonder if number 8 can be Spiteful Letters with the telegraph boy on the bike - not sure of the relevance of the bush with one strange decoration on it though!
Maybe Number 8 is Holly Lane and that's a green tree outside Green-Trees! :lol: I agree that it could also be Spiteful Letters though.
Oh yes Anita, and that strange item in the bush could be the window-leather.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Do you mean Secret Room, Wolfgang? I too was thinking about Secret Room for Number 2.
Of course you're right Anita :oops: .
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
kirstymaclaren

Post by kirstymaclaren »

I like how they have redone Enid’s signature in Russian but kept her handwriting!
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

As I only joined here in May, I have only just come across this topic and was intrigued by the translation in the first post which gave 'Тайноискателей' translating as 'Taynoiskateley', which still meant nothing to me. However, inserting that word into Google, it translates as 'Secret Investigators'. I wondered why it doesn't give that in the first place? However, just putting the word 'Тайноискателей' into the translator on its own, it auto-detects it as Bulgarian. How very odd????
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very interesting boatbuilder - thank you. I thought this was a good point which I missed too:
kirstymaclaren wrote:I like how they have redone Enid’s signature in Russian but kept her handwriting!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Ah, a mystery that's been left partly solved. I wonder why everybody gave up.
pete9012S wrote:Image

I do know that number one is The Mystery Of The Burnt Cottage.

What makes you think that, Pete? Didn't you notice the two little red shoes in the bottom left corner? I'll bet my eyeteeth that #1 is Mystery of the Strange Bundle.

2. The cover shows Ern sweeping pots and pans off the shelf to scare the two baddies. (The picture may need to be enlarged to see the details.) So it's The Mystery of the Strange Messages.

3. Almost sure it's Hidden House. The one with the stolen cars. I'm sure they encounter bats too, in the old mill on Christmas Hill.

4. Tally-ho Cottage, without doubt. Mr Hoho-ha can be seen in the background.

5. This one has me foxed. Let me come back to it later.

6. Spiteful Letters, where Goon tumbles off his bike. I think he does so in Strange Bundle as well, but that title is accounted for.

7. Pantomime Cat. The open safe is a giveaway. By the way, it also shows Fatty wielding a poker that he wrested from Goon who was going to hit Buster with it. I didn't recognise this at first.

8. I'm almost certain it's Vanished Prince. The boy seems to have ROLLO printed on his jacket. (Do illustrators actually read the books then? I'm surprised.) Oh, and the 'ornament' on the bush is just the bike's rear-view mirror.

9. The cover shows a convict and a (partly obscured) woman holding a cat, so I'm betting my last Rouble that it's The Mystery of the Missing Man.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good thoughts, Fatty. I didn't realise the two red things in the bottom left-hand corner of the first cover were shoes!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member