Books you didn't like?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Books you didn't like?

Post by Lucky Star »

What is this "Finding Enid" book? I have never heard of it? It's not Duncan McLaren's Looking for Enid is it?

I have never managed to summon up any interest in Noddy or the St Clares series'. I can't think of any of Enid's own books that I actively dislike though i could name a few that I found disappointing.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

If you mean Duncan McLaren's Looking for Enid, then I've read it. It wasn't at all to my taste. As far as I can remember it featured a FFO story which revolved around Green Hedges which might have been quite good but I felt it was spoilt by a toilet scene involving PC Goon. (Toilets don't feature in EB books.) Then there are references to Enid's 'intimate' relationship with her husband, travels to different Enid Blyton related locations - spoilt in my opinion by references to the author's nocturnal antics with his girlfriend.

Apart from feeling that certain parts were unnecessary and inappropriate, I personally didn't like the way the book flitted between settings, ie the FFO part, then bits about Enid etc. At times I felt it was hard to work out which bits were genuine Enid Blyton facts and which bits were the author's invention. However that style of writing may appeal to someone else.

I don't think it's been mentioned, but there's a book by George Greenfield which I enjoyed. He was Enid's literary agent, so actually knew her.
Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

That's the one lol!

I wondered why I couldn't find it when I searched Amazon recently!

Noddy passed me by as a young child - although, I remember reading stories/having stories read about Toyland (non-Noddy though) and also Amelia Jane, etc. Wishing Chair and Faraway Tree, I liked too. Although, this was more down to what was found on the bookshelf (hand me downs from older siblings/cousins) than taste!

Cheers

Lex
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Lex,you may however enjoy Duncan's excellent website,Blyton Forever.

http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-7/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Thanks, Pete - will check it out.

Cheers,

Lex
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

As long as you remember that it is pure fantasy and speculation, Pete! :D

I was a bit surprised that Dr. Stephen didn't get a mention from you either, surely you are his biggest fan! :lol:

Nor for that matter did David Rudd get mentioned, but his book is viciously expensive!!

That section that you gave a link to seriously needs an update, but sadly it is in part of the website that I can't get at, so unless I start playing around in continuation books there is nothing I can do about it. :cry:
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
I was a bit surprised that Dr. Stephen didn't get a mention from you either....
A great suggestion Tony.

Perhaps Lex may need just a bit more time to acclimatize himself before we unleash The Kraken .. :shock: :D

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've never cared for the Noddy books. Apart from them I've enjoyed reading just about everything by Enid except Fun For The Secret Seven which is dreadful.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

As people have discovered, 'Finding Enid' is actually 'Looking For Enid' - we all sort of copied each other in using the wrong title! :-D

I personally didn't like 'Looking For Enid' because I don't see the point of Enid Blyton 'biographies' that are based on fantasy. The whole of the book is fantasy - some of it more like a teenage sexual fantasy - all a bit weird and twisted. I found it very hard going, and find Duncan McLaren's website hard going too, but maybe that's just because I was 'looking for' facts and there aren't any in McLaren's writing.

To my mind, anyone could have written 'Looking For Enid'. Its just a case of letting your fantasies take over and writing any absurd scene you can imagine revolving around Enid and her characters. Duncan doesn't deal in facts, so basically the book is just a series of make believe scenarios. Might be to some people's tastes, but not mine.

Mind you, I do feature quite heavily in one section of Duncan's website - as the person who criticises Enid's story 'The Hidey Hole'. I felt quite flattered, lol! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Whoops. I'd not twigged the wrong book title at all. Finding Enid is a good title, though. Who feels like authoring their own Enid book then? :lol:

And I may be entirely wrong, Pete, but I was assuming Lex is a she. (I've only ever known one Lex which was a lady!)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I thought Lex was a he?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Lex Luther was male.

I know of girls called Lexie.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Fiona1986 wrote: And I may be entirely wrong, Pete, but I was assuming Lex is a she.
Lex, along with his teacher wife and two crazy children, live in a rather plain red-brick house nestling in the middle of the Aire Valley, ten miles west of the city of Leeds.
You may still be right Fiona!...Lex will hopefully confirm.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Every time I see the title 'Finding Enid' I have 'Finding Nemo' popping into my head. :lol:
Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

I'm a he lol! Like Luther, but without the wigs (for now, anyway!)!

Finding Enid - you heard it here first lol! From reading some of knowledge/facts/stats on here - I am sure one of you guys could definitely put a page turner together!

I did read a free sample of Duncan's book - if I'm honest, I was not sure re the premise/angle and a couple of reviews put me off (rightly or wrongly). That's why I asked what you guys thought. Anyway, in the end, I know I'm going to end up buying it!

I'll let you know what I thought when I do!

Cheers,

Lex