Books you didn't like?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
LexFraser

Books you didn't like?

Post by LexFraser »

Hi,

I'm new to the site - and I have enjoyed exploring and also back reading through the forums. I thought I knew my stuff, but you guys - wow!

Obviously, most topics I think have been covered, but I couldn't find a topic covering the series you didn't like or just couldn't get your teeth into - or, if not series (a whole series is probably unlikely), then maybe a book in your favourite series that bombed?

For me, I loved the Malory Towers series - but had no real interest in St Clare's. I devoured all Find-Outers, Five, Barney, Adventure, Secret and Adventurous Four series - but only read the Secret Seven on more of an ad hoc basis. I still haven't read them all!

Also, on a non-related matter, can anyone recommend a good bio/non-fiction book on Enid. I have read the Barbara Stoney bio and also Enid's Story of my Life - plus, Imogen Smallwood's Childhood at Green Hedges - but I want to know what else is out there? I can't remember the title, but I think there's a book I've seen - Finding Enid, I think its called? Has anyone read it?

Cheers

Lex Fraser
(My own book The Adventure of the Missing Diva is currently for sale on Amazon)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Books you didn't like?

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I have the book Finding Enid, Lex, but sadly it didn't really appeal to me. Not like Imogen's book and Barbara Stoney's book.

Another book I have is the Blyton Phenomenon by Sheila Ray. I haven't read it all as yet. But have to say my preference is Barbara Stoney's and Enid's book - Story of My Life - and Tell Me About Enid Blyton by her daughter Gillian Baverstock.

As for books you didn't like. Well I'm not a fan of Noddy or the Faraway Tree series.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

There's a list here:
Further Reading

This section lists the various books that have been written about Enid Blyton's life and work. It has been divided into two sections, the first dealing with Enid's life and work and the second listing various reference books about her works.
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/further-reading.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Enid Blyton Dossier is absolutely superb,Lex.
It's available very reasonably on amazon:
5.0 out of 5 starsa wealth of Enid Blyton life and works-fabulous!
ByA customeron 30 September 2003
Format: Hardcover
This book has so much information.
All her delightful creations are include- Noddy, Famous Five, etc.
There is a history of the lady herself with rare photographs, plus a history of what she produced, and who published her works, year by year, plus, who were the illustrators of her books,and dozens of gorgeous front cover dust jackets of the books that have brought so much joy to so many,young and old.
This has to be one of the best value books around, so much is contained therein! and a glorious full colour front cover picture of Noddy(and big ears )in the red/yellow car , surrounded by other Blyton images.
Also included in this book are colour pictures of merchandise spin-offs as well- many rare items, hugely collectable now.
Would make a super present to any child, or adult who grew up on Enid's story books. This book is worth every penny!
Go on, relive your childhood memories!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... d&qid=&sr=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I really liked Finding Enid - but I think it's quite a divisive book. Either it's to your taste or it isn't!

I feel the same about Malory Towers v St Clare's, but then I read all the MTs as a child and I didn't read the St Clare's until I was 'grown up'.

I'm not a big fan of the Secret Seven (again, read them as an adult) and although I love the Famous Five I'd have to say that Mystery Moor just doesn't really do it for me that much.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, sorry, Tony, I forgot to mention the Dossier, slapped wrist! :roll:

Well worth finding a copy, Lex. :D

Thanks for putting up the link, Pete. I've got most of those on my shelf. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Finding Enid is ...okay...if you like that sort of thing. I quite enjoyed it as something totally different - and I'm pleased to have a first edition in a dust wrapper, as the later reprint in paperback doesn't look half so good! :-)

Eva Rices 'Who's Who In Enid Blyton' is also a good book, if you want to learn more about the characters.

The Dossier is brilliant as a 'dip into' book - but not exactly a biography as such - its a 'must have' for Blyton enthusiasts though.

'The Blyton Phenomenon' by Sheila Ray is a bit of a 'Marmite book' - I hate it - but also find it compelling reading! More of a critique of her writing than a life story though.

'The Enid Blyton Story' by Bob Mullan is also an interesting read - though it borrows heavily from Sheila Ray and Barbara Stoney.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As a child I found The Mystery That Never Was terribly bland and Adventure of the Strange Ruby peculiar.

The Hidey-Hole is another weak book in my opinion, rambling and lacking in excitement, but I only came across it as an adult.

Of course, all three of those books date from the 1960s when Enid Blyton's mind was no longer as sharp as it had once been. Fun for the Secret Seven, Five Have a Mystery to Solve and Five Are Together Again were also written in the 60s and I never liked those either. Sadly, Enid's dementia was by then having an impact on her ability to construct a tight, coherent plot.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Eva Rices 'Who's Who In Enid Blyton' is also a good book, if you want to learn more about the characters.
I thought the Who's Who was dreadful! There were dozens of mistakes and masses of important characters missing.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, Eva Rice's book is written in a chatty, readable style so I quite enjoy flicking through it, but it's annoyingly haphazard and littered with errors.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I can't answer this questions. I absolutely love all EB books. (well, I like all the ones I have read so far!)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Oh, I agree Eva Rice's book is not a great book - but its still a book that every Blyton collector should own, lol! ;-)

Then again, I'm the type who will buy any Blyton-centric book (apart from maybe the adult famous fives!!) - I have 'So You Think You Know Enid Blyton's Famous Five?' by Clive Gifford, 'Enid Blyton and her Enchantment With Dorset' - by Dr Andrew Norman, Enid Blyton at Old Thatch, by Tess Livingstone, The Dorset Days of Enid Blyton, by Viv Endecott, The Famous Five - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know - by Norman Wright, Enid Blyton - by George Greenfield, Gillian Baverstock Remembers Enid Blyton - by Gillian Baverstock, plus the usual ones by Barbara Stoney, Imogen Smallwood, Sheila Ray, Bob Mullan, Duncan McLaren and EB herself! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Rob Houghton wrote:I'm the type who will buy any Blyton-centric book (apart from maybe the adult famous fives!!)
And apart from anything too anecdotal (or should I say anecdotagal)? :wink:

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:And apart from anything too anecdotal (or should I say anecdotagal)? :wink:
ah yes - that's another I haven't got!! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I must admit, the paperback version of 'Who's Who In Enid Blyton' was improved a little, but I agree it is frustrating that there are so many errors.

However, as I was at the EB Day when Eva launched her reprint, with the help of her famous dad, I guess I will always look on her book quite fondly! 8)
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 18 Nov 2016, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Thanks All!

The Dossier! I did buy it about 6 years or so ago, but I was in the midst of moving house/getting wed - and I never got round to reading it. I think it is still in a box somewhere! Right, into the cellar I go this weekend with a torch to see if I can dig it out! Can't believe I forgot about it!!!!

I think I will take the plunge with the Finding Enid book - but yes, it is definitely going to be a marmite type of book!

Some great recommendations and def going to check out Pete's further reading list!

I generally agree re the 60s onwards - although, The Mystery of Banshee Towers (again another Marmite) was in the 60s and this is one of my faves. Maybe though it's because I like sea paintings!

Cheers,

Lex