Famous Five Stationery

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Famous Five Stationery

Post by pete9012S »

I'm with Tony.If I bought it I would keep it for myself.
I don't think the people who have a slight aversion to Betty Maxey need to be anxious or fret.
When was the last time any of her work was used officially?
It must be years and years ago now - it's as if she never existed or illustrated those myriads of Knight paperbacks in many ways.... :( :(
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Regarding the stationery I'm afraid I wouldn't want to pay £10 for something that I was just going to scribble in and/or tear bits out of. If I bought them they would stay in unused condition!!
My thoughts exactly. They would join my collection on the bookshelves as keepsakes or memorabilia. I wouldn't deface them, especially at that price. If I want something to scribble on I can get a notebook for about 50p.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would be the same, although WH Smiths do sell similar notebooks for around the same price!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm wondering about the postcards in particular. It says there are 30 of them. There are only 21 Famous Five covers (unless they've been clever enough to include both the first and second designs for the several covers that Soper re-illustrated!), so I doubt there are 30 different designs included. So what might it be then? 2 copies each of 15 different designs? 3 each of 5 designs? 5 each of 3 designs? Or - heaven forbid - 15 each of 2 designs, or 30 copies of 1 design?? :shock:

Seriously, I wouldn't buy it until I know how many different pictures I'd be getting.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It does say "30 classic images and original book covers" so maybe it includes some other illustrations, maybe from the 'Famous Five Big Book' etc or colour plates.
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 31 Jul 2015, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Maybe it includes some Betty Maxeys?? :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Courtenay wrote:2 copies each of 15 different designs? 3 each of 5 designs? 5 each of 3 designs? Or - heaven forbid - 15 each of 2 designs, or 30 copies of 1 design??
I was just looking and I noticed that the postcards are described as being a 'card book' in the title of the listing, but a 'card box' in the description. This part of the description quoted from Amazon does suggest that thirty images have been used.

The Famous Five Postcard Box contains 30 classic images and original book covers from this best-selling series.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Perhaps if someone bought the postcards they could tell us if there are 30 different images. :D
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Some of us may not want to risk 10 quid on finding out. :mrgreen:
Society Member

Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

We could have a whip round and get a set between us. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh no, we need to save our money to buy Old Thatch. 8)
Society Member

Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I think new EB stationery is a great idea if it encourages this generation of children to actually write a letter to a friend (not just email). I had many penfriends as a child and I remember the excitement of a letter from them arriving in the mail!!! Certainly showing my age now.

I have tried to add photos of my original famous five and secret seven stationery boxes but still haven't worked out how to load a photo to the forum. I don't have any of the paper left in the seven box but there is one page of the famous five stationery left.

But of course you don't need my photo anyway because I just remembered we can put a link to the photos in the cave.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/secret-seven.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/famous-five.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did any other forumites have pen-friends as a child?

cheers
Aussie Sue
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

My sister has got a pen friend in Germany. She was her best friend at school at one point, but then she had to move away because of her dad's job in army. They did keep in touch by sending each other letters, but it cost quite a lot in postage so they decided that they would email each other instead.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Yes that is one of the good things about email, there is no restriction due to cost. When I was young (well before email or in fact computers) international mail was very expensive but there was a special airmail letter (can't remember what it was actually called), which you could buy from the post office very cheaply. It was a long blue very thin sheet of paper that you would write on and then fold up and stick together to post. And that was what we would use to write to international pen-friends. We would write really small so we could fit a lot on the one letter.

Email is obviously sensible today but it was special to receive a written letter and they are easy to keep.

I'm very glad email wasn't around when Enid was writing or I wouldn't be able to have any of her lovely letters in my collection.

cheer
Sue
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I loved my old Parker 51. Did that make it my pen-friend?

[sorry]
Society Member