Mystery of the Secret Room...why is it rather unpopular?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Mystery of the Secret Room...why is it rather unpopular?

Post by Chrissie777 »

70s-child wrote:I liked the wintry feel of this book, and while I like some other FFOs better, this one is far from being one of my least favorite from this series.
Yes, the winter scenes were beautiful.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Lucky Star wrote: I much prefer it to Disappearing Cat which is my vote for second worst entry after Banshee Towers.
Same here, "Disappearing Cat" was rather disappointing for me and so was "Spiteful Letters" and "Vanished Prince".
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Sally wrote:I know that Eddie agrees with me that the series doesn't really get going until Missing Necklace when Fatty really starts to develop and feels more mature.
"Necklace" is another good one. I enjoyed the scenes with the wax figures. Wasn't Fatty acting as Napoleon or do I mix that up with another book?
Last edited by Chrissie777 on 29 Aug 2012, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Yes he was.
You can call me Sunskriti!
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I should comment on this, because it is one of my favourite books in this series, too. I thought I *had* commented on it recently, actually, but it must be in another thread.
Chrissie777 wrote:If I would have been much younger when I discovered these books, I sure would have tried the ink.
Did you ever write something with invisible ink and then made it visible? Is it really working?
     I think I did try it myself. I don't quite recall if I tried the locked-room trick: I may not have, since in any buildings to which I had access, rooms with that kind of lock were not common - but I'm sure I would have tried it if I had found a suitable room, and someone to lock me in.
Darrell71 wrote:It is one of my faves too! The environment that has been created, the delicious sense of mystery and aventure, this book takes you through the mystery, but with Fatty being caught, it has some adventure too, unlike some other FFO stories.
     That is true, and I suspect it's one of the reasons I like it. Don't get me wrong - I like the mystery element found in most of the books, and it's quite suspenseful - but I encountered adventure in Enid Blyton (in the form of the Famous Five) before I encountered mystery, so maybe the former imprinted in my mind a little more strongly. Also, "The Mystery of the Secret Room" was the very first book in the Find-Outers series I read, so I accepted it on its own terms, without having any preconceived idea of how books in this series "should" go.
Darrell71 wrote:So don't know how you got this idea about peolple not liking it Chrissie! But, once again, what you are saying may be quite possible? :?:
     I got the impression, too, that it was less liked by many people, and I gathered that the reason was that the story is more adventure-oriented, and does not really follow the normal pattern established in this series, which is more a classic mystery, where you follow up clues and suspects, do a bit of deduction about strange events, and at the end dramatically unveil the culprit. I suppose when you get to expect that pattern in this series, you may tend to be disappointed when one doesn't follow it but does something else, even though that something else may be quite expected in another series.
Gingeroo wrote:Plus Miss Crumpet is such an awesome name. :lol:
     Errr... it was actually Miss Crump. But I hope that is still just as awesome.
Lucky Star wrote:I much prefer it to Disappearing Cat which is my vote for second worst entry after Banshee Towers.
     Never found anything wrong with "The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat". In general, I don't recall finding any title in this series noticeably week (not even "The Mystery of Banshee Towers"), although maybe I found some better than others. (A couple of years ago I read a discussion here pointing out all the logical flaws in "The Mystery of Banshee Towers", and ruefully had to concede they were valid points; but I never noticed this as a boy, and even when I re-read the book years later in adulthood, I don't remember noticing those problems. And if I read it again now, maybe I wouldn't even now - provided I don't first re-read that thread that discusses those problems.)
Chrissie777 wrote:Same here, "Disappearing Cat" was rather disappointing for me and so was "Spiteful Letters" and "Vanished Prince".
     "Vanished Prince" was another of my favourites, I must say. I recall the incredibly funny episodes with Bets pretending to be a haughty foreign princess and talking about Mr. Goon's froggy eyes, while he goes purple in the face and just about bursts out of his buttoned-up uniform; and the eerie setting of the swamp near the end, too. Good story, in my opinion, with an exciting climax. And I don't recall any problems with "Spiteful Letters", either.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

MJE wrote:      Also, "The Mystery of the Secret Room" was the very first book in the Find-Outers series I read, so I accepted it on its own terms, without having any preconceived idea of how books in this series "should" go.

Yes, it was the first book I read too!!
stardust

Post by stardust »

This was my first book in the series too, and it's my favourite!
MJE

Missing Necklace.

Post by MJE »

Back here again after a few days....

Just harking back to "The Mystery of the Missing Necklace" for a moment. It was one of the early books I read - the next after "The Mystery of the Secret Room", I think - and it was good in many ways - but at the time I first read it, it was a rather big disappointment in one sense; and that was that, just a few chapters from the end, Mr. Goon came in and solved the mystery instead of the Find-Outers - well, except for one little bit still unsolved. And of course, in those remaining few chapters, the Five Find-Outers completed the rest of it. But I think I did feel a bit cheated, somehow (siding with the Find-Outers, as of course I did), that Goon came in and took a lot of it from the Find-Outers.
     Did anyone else feel a bit like that?

Regards, Michael.

[Edited to correct "Secret" to "Mystery" in book title.]
Last edited by MJE on 30 Aug 2012, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's an interesting point Michael. I remember when I first read the book the feeling of disbelief when Goon apparently solved the mystery, then the relief when I checked that there were still a good few pages left! Hurrying on to the next chapter, it was distinctly cheering to discover there was more work to do and of course the Find-Outers did it.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Hmmm.... you have a point MJE, but the find-outers actually got the real necklace! So I only partially felt it that way,.......

And, do you mean The MYSTERY Of The Missing Necklace MJE?! :lol:
MJE

Post by MJE »

Darrell71 wrote:And, do you mean The MYSTERY Of The Missing Necklace MJE?! :lol:
     Yes, I did. Sorry - it was just a typo.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

MJE wrote: 
Chrissie777 wrote:If I would have been much younger when I discovered these books, I sure would have tried the ink.
Did you ever write something with invisible ink and then made it visible? Is it really working?
     I think I did try it myself. I don't quite recall if I tried the locked-room trick: I may not have, since in any buildings to which I had access, rooms with that kind of lock were not common - but I'm sure I would have tried it if I had found a suitable room, and someone to lock me in.
I tried the invisibility ink trick with lemon juice - it worked just fine. I used a paintbrush to write my message with - I suppose a fountain pen would've made it a lot neater.

I also tried the locked door trick - the last house we lived in (built in the early 80s) had the perfect door for it. I didn't have someone to lock me in, so I tried pushing the key out with a hair pin while the door was ajar and drawing it to the other side with a newspaper. Worked like a charm, until my parents carpeted the room.

Society Member
Gingeroo
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five, The Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Ern Goon, PC Goon, George Kirrin

Post by Gingeroo »

Yikes, I don't how I managed to do that- I normally check in the relevant book to make sure I'm not spouting nonsense, as I can't remember every detail from every Blyton book I have ever read, but I seem to have forgotten to do that this time. :cry:
'I'm George,' said the girl. 'I shall only answer if you call me George. I hate being a girl. I won't be. I like doing the things that boys do. You're to call me George. Then I'll speak to you. But I shan't if you don't.'
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Only Ming would try to write a message in invisible ink with a paint brush. :roll:
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Ming wrote:I tried the invisibility ink trick with lemon juice - it worked just fine. I used a paintbrush to write my message with - I suppose a fountain pen would've made it a lot neater.

I also tried the locked door trick - the last house we lived in (built in the early 80s) had the perfect door for it. I didn't have someone to lock me in, so I tried pushing the key out with a hair pin while the door was ajar and drawing it to the other side with a newspaper. Worked like a charm, until my parents carpeted the room.
Hi Ming, those sound like great memories!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock