Five Go Adventuring Again

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Five Go Adventuring Again

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:Yeah, that too. What was Maxey thinking when she drew it?? :o

Mind you, I thought that one was bad until just now, when I found this:

Have you ever seen such incredibly ugly faces? :shock:

Anne reminds me of Julie Harris in "East of Eden" (1955).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:
yarvelling wrote:Oh please.... STOP repeating that awful cover here....
Hear, hear!

That's better!

Definitely!!!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:Both Eileen Soper's covers for Five Run Away Together have so much more going for them, to me. Interesting how different they are - I'm not sure which I like better:
- but for me they both capture a much greater sense of excitement, suspense, and impending action. We're drawn into the scene by the characters, the way they're facing or pointing. There's a real feeling of "What's going to happen next?" that I just don't get from any of the Maxey covers.
I like the first Soper cover with details of Kirrin Castle more than the other one with the sunken ship which has less details.
As I did not grow up with Betty Maxey covers (the first time I ever laid eyes on them was in the EBS website), it will always be Eileen Soper for me and of course Stuart Tresilian and Gilbert Dunlop, my 3 favorite EB illustrators. Their illustrations have so much depth and so many details...for me they are essentially Blyton.
They are what a perfect score is for a movie. They set the right mood for the book.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

no one posted the annual version. It's not one of my favourites - Anne looks like she's being held up, rather roughly! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Maggie Knows wrote:
Poppy wrote:

Anne's looking a bit Bardot-esque there. Or maybe Jane Fonda from Barbarella ? (head, not clothes)
Typical 1960's design.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:
Maggie Knows wrote: Anne's looking a bit Bardot-esque there. Or maybe Jane Fonda from Barbarella ? (head, not clothes)
Ooer, yeah, she does a bit... :shock:

Image Image Image
Too bad that they don't have such hair-dos any longer. It sure looked great!!! (BB that is...)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Francis wrote:After perusing second hand bookshops I was amazed how many hardback Famous Fives copies of
'Five go adventuring again' there were. It seems to be the book that sold the best in the 1950s.
'Five on a Treasure Island' is much less common. I might start doing a count to make a popularity
list.
Francis, I could imagine that FOATI was kept by most people, because it was a different children's book in 1942 that started a genre. I like many of the sequels, but FOATI is the best FF book IMHO.
Maybe that's why there are so few used copies around?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:The edition we had when I was little was Maxey-illustrated, so I've just been in the Cave acquainting myself with the Soper originals, and I'm delighted to find there are so many gorgeous portrayals of Timmy!
Soper was indeed very skilled with illustrating dogs.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:I disliked the book on my first read, as a child - and have only been able tore-read it once. I have often known follow-ups to be a disappointment - this book is no exception, in my view. To make the book really awful, I suggest a copy illustrated by Maxey.
That's how I felt when I read "Camp", "Caravan", "Mystery Moor" and "Finniston Farm" for the very first time as a child. I know they are very popular in the EBS forums, but I just didn't care for the topics. They didn't compel me the least. I thought treasure hunt, kidnappings and running away were much more interesting.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:Yes, Five Run Away Together is a far superior book, and confirms the potential of the series.
It's also one of the funniest FF volumes!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

yarvelling wrote: I imagine that Enid probably learned at least some Latin when she was at school, and knew that at the time of writing the books, many of her readers would also be learning it..... it's only really since the 60's that Latin has died out in schools - we never learned whilst I was there from mid 60's to late 70's...... so her Latin quotations are normally a little confusing to me!
I was not aware that Latin died out in schools. On our girls high school in Germany there were only two choices; French or Latin. As both my parents had struggled with Latin, they talked me into taking French and I never regretted it. My school days were over in July 1974, so Latin was still considered very important at that time.
Of course for people intending to become a doctor, Latin is still a must nowadays.
But French was much more helpful for travelling in France, on the isle of Corsica, Eastern Canada (Québec) etc.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

yarvelling wrote:Yes Anita, maybe it's the convergence with the Latin languages that caused some of the problems.... :) However our use of verbs and nouns etc is still 'backward' to how other European countries structure their sentences.....
The example I was using back in my earlier post about comparing the phrase to go shopping... I explained the German structure as I remember and understand it - PLEASE anyone correct me if I got it wrong!! ;)
What I was saying was that in English we might a question "Are we going shopping?", but once the translation into German is done, it comes out more like "Going we shopping?" - which obviously doesn't work in as far as the English language is concerned...... so quite how we in the UK derived our form of language from other parts of Europe and turned it make what we use today, I do not know!! Perhaps it was something so simple among scholars of day just thinking "Going we shopping?" sounds 'bad'... let's add another word or two, and reverse the order a bit, and then give it some stupid technical past injunctive ablative terminology.... ;) Lol!! :D
I don't 'get' it.... have no idea of the technical terms, but I know what seems to just *flow* correctly for me, but for any poor foreigner trying to learn the language, it must be a nightmare.... the way you think is turned around!! ;)
German is my native language and even though I live now for more than 12 1/2 years in the US, I still think that in most situations you use more words in English for the same sentence than you do in German.
It took me a while to get used to build longer sentences to express the same that I used to express with less words in German.
Example: "Wie geht's?" in German, but "How was your day?" in English.
"Last night" is used for anything that happened yesterday whereas for me that meant for the first few years in the US still "gestern abend" (yesterday in the evening), not afternoon which it also includes in the US.
In German you ask "Willst Du ein Bier?", in English you have to ask "Would you like to have a bottle of beer?".
I still think English is the more polite language with all those "Would you..." and "What do you think, should we do this or that...", but German is shorter. You talk less in German with the same result :).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

yarvelling wrote: I don't 'get' it.... have no idea of the technical terms, but I know what seems to just *flow* correctly for me, but for any poor foreigner trying to learn the language, it must be a nightmare.... the way you think is turned around!! ;)
Since I live over here, I got so used to the way how sentences in English have to be "constructed" that I'm now actually am having trouble finding back into the German sentence structure when I'm talking to my mom in German on the phone every other week. :)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Chrissie777 wrote: Since I live over here, I got so used to the way how sentences in English have to be "constructed" that I'm now actually am having trouble finding back into the German sentence structure when I'm talking to my mom in German on the phone every other week. :)
I have a German colleague who speaks beautiful English - she's lived here for decades, is married to a native English speaker, and raised her children here in England - and recently she was saying too that when she goes back to speaking with her relatives and friends in Germany, her German sentences keep coming out all strange! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Yes, Mr Rowland is certainly a creepy sort of character, and only George and Timmy could see that!! It's a great Chrsitmas read, but when I read it, I find myself getting annoyed that they can't see through Mr Roland, especially Uncle Quentin who is suppose to be an intelligent man!!!
I think you can call Uncle Quentin an absent-minded professor or even a nerd, a genius in his field of expertise, but not a good judge of character or even much interested in the people around him. He lives for his inventions.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock