Inspiration for Kirrin Bay, Island and Castle?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Will the real Kirrin Castle Stand Up?

Post by pete9012S »

There's a nice castle today on google's search page... :D

https://www.google.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

There is a thread somewhere on this site, where someone actually posted a picture of the castle in the Channel Islands that they thought could have been the inspiration for Kirrin. It had the arch and everything, but I can't remember who posted it, or when, or in which thread. Maybe it was Oscar Spain, there's something in the back of my mind that I recall it was one of our overseas members.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We know that the island and castle which inspired Enid Blyton were in Jersey and, since Enid mentioned that it was possible to walk along a causeway to the island at low tide, I've often wondered if it might have been Elizabeth Castle that she saw. Like Mont Orgueil, Elizabeth Castle is bigger than Kirrin Castle. However, it's clear that Enid changed various things to suit her story (Kirrin is not in the Channel Islands and Kirrin Island cannot be reached by a causeway at low tide) so she would no doubt have adapted the castle too. If George owned a grand, ostentatious building it wouldn't feel the same. Kirrin Castle is a ruin, not valued by most of the populace but loved by George and the others partly because it's so intimate - just big enough for them to play in and explore, but not too imposing. One thing they appreciate about Kirrin Island is that it's small enough to feel like an island. They can see the sea surrounding them in every direction, hear the waves and smell the salt in the air. The island and castle Enid saw in Jersey obviously got her imagination working, and she could picture a group of children having an adventure there. But the causeway would have no place in the story because she wanted the children to feel cut off to some extent on their own island, enjoying a taste of freedom and independence. And naturally the castle too would have to be scaled down, as it wouldn't do to have it as a popular tourist attraction. Enid was inspired by the Jersey location but she wasn't trying to replicate it in Five on a Treasure Island (or subsequent titles set in Kirrin).

Julie, I've found Oscar Spain's topic and I've merged it with this thread. It starts near the bottom of page 3.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Didn't Enid write a letter/article once though about how she'd been driving through the countryside and spotted a castle standing on a hill? Does anyone know what I'm referring to?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, I do, Katharine, I have the book in which Enid wrote that, I'm thinking it was a poem, but I can't remember which of my books it is in. She wrote about how sad it must be feeling, with only the jackdaws for company, something along those lines I think it was. :)

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Katharine wrote:Didn't Enid write a letter/article once though about how she'd been driving through the countryside and spotted a castle standing on a hill? Does anyone know what I'm referring to?
You might be thinking of a letter which Enid Blyton wrote for the magazine Teachers World in 1931, Katharine, in which she describes a visit to Corfe Castle. Maureen typed out the letter in the "Enid on Holiday" thread, so I'll quote Maureen's post here.
Maureen1954 wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:While looking through Barbara Stoney's Biography for something else, I came across a reference to a holiday in Bournemouth with Hugh Pollock. While Enid Blyton was pregnant with Gillian in 1931, she and Hugh "decided to take an extended Easter holiday at Bournemouth".
As Anita quotes the above month from Barbara Stoneys Bipgraphy,Easter in this year fell on April 5th 1931.On May 20th about a month late Enid wrote a letter in the "Teachers World about this holiday!!

It is in the EBS Journal No 1 Summer 1996 edition and lucky me found it to buy from Sue Bell who is a EBS member and has a bookshop ....http://www.greenmeadowbooks.co.uk below is the content of the letter....

Norman Wright who wrote the article does "quote"

"For our first reprint I have chosen a letter from 1931 in which Enid talks of a ruined castle she has recently come across while on her way home from holiday.She does not mention the castle by name but the rather smudgy photograph printed with the letter undoubtably depicts Corfe Castle in Dorset.
In the letter she mentions the jackdaws etc. and the tame rabbitsand one is instantly reminded of descripions of Kirrin Castle in the Fives books.Since I was a small child and first visited Corfe Castle I had always had the opinion that Enid based Kirrin Castle on Corfe Castle and this letter strenghtens my view.
The photograph that accompanies the letter in Teachers World is too poorly printed to be reproduced here,but a drawing of the castle is included to help you give a magical feel of the place"

Below is Enids Letter

Dear Boys & Girls,
As I drove along in my little I saw,far away in the distance,a rounded hill,and on it was a ruin of an old,old castle.I took the first road that led to it and soon came to the hill.On the very top where the remains of the castle itself.Round the slopes where the battlements with their slit-like windows.At the bottom of the hill was a deep ditch which once upon a time had held water and formed a moat all round the castle.
I sat down in the sunshine and looked up at the old ruin.How I wished I could see back through a few hundred years and know exactly what the castle looked like when it was a real castle and not a ruin,when there where knights in jingling armour riding over the drawbridge,and when ladies in flowing robes walked o and fro on the grass beyond the battlements! I imagined a time when enemies rode against the castle and its owner and when archers peered through the slit-like windows and shot their deadly arrows downwards.I thought of what a dreadful time it must have been when gunpowder was used against the strong walls,and blew them away to pieces,when for the last time weeping women hurried from their castle home,and strong men laid down their weapons and walked form the gates as prisoners.Then year by year the old place fell into ruin,and no longer was their sound of laughing voices,the clank of armour or the neighing of horses.
"Now" I thought "the old castle is alone and forgotten.No one lives there,no one loves it" - but I was quite wrong; for suddenly I noticed hundreds of jackdaws sitting on the walls and squatting in the holes.Then I heard their harsh voices as they quarrelled with one another or called their mates." Chack! they cried "Chack,chack!"I saw that in the walls there where hundreds and hundreds of holes,where once upon a time timbers had rested to make floors and ceilings.In each hole was a jackdaw's nest; there was not one I could see that had a black and grey head peeping out from it. The castle had may more creatures in it and calling it theor home than ever it had long ago!
The a sandy rabbit popped out of a hole in the grass just by my foot,and when he saw that I made no movement he frisked right by me.Out came others and still others,till a sudden clamour from the jackdaws and flutter of wings frightened them,and back they went again." Ha!" I thought, "I was wrong! The old castle isnt a bit lonely or forgotten! it likes to dream by itself in the sun,and know that the jackdaws and rabbits love to be around it - maybe it likes them better than it does people,who bring guns and blow its grand wall walls to bits!"
Now I must hurry back to my little car,for I am on my way home and I am longing to see Bobs and Sandy again,and to fetch Pat and Bimbo from the kennelman who is looking after them.
Much love to you all,from
Enid Blyton

I wonder if Tony or someone has a copy of the above Teachers World where the photo is an could possibly scan and post it here please???

Re Enid holidaying in Bournemouth in 1931 Enid must have drove about maybe up to one hour or less to get to Corfe Castle which is West from Bournemouth and then headed North up to Bourne End o return home.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks, Anita. Yes, it was the letter starting Dear Boys and Girls, I remember the castle having the jackdaws for company. :)

8)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thank you, yes, that's what I was thinking of. The bit about the moat doesn't sound like Kirrin Castle, but the jackdaws definitely do, and the rabbits remind me of Kirrin Island.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

The only island I know of on Jersey that has a tidal connection and a small castle/fortification on it is the one in Portelet Bay. This is not occupied and might well have inspired Enid as it is on the route travelled by the charabancs in the 1920s and 1930s and would have looked intriguing from the coach. The castle itself might well have been developed by her on her memories of Corfe Castle which certainly looks more like the illustrations.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j& ... 7485766526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Portelet Bay certainly looks promising, Francis. I think it was mentioned in another thread at some point, but I'd forgotten about it.
Moonraker wrote:Will the real Kirrin Castle stand up?
More likely to fall down, I reckon! :wink:

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Anita wrote
Portelet Bay certainly looks promising, Francis. I think it was mentioned in another thread at some point, but I'd forgotten about it.
We love recycling information - as I get older it all sounds new!
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I can't even remember what I had for tea two days ago so recycling info is fine with me - it's as if I've never read it before!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Portlet Bay pops up a few times in this search....

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Pete. It might be worth merging this topic with the "Kirrin Bay/Island" thread - I'll take a proper look tomorrow.

Now merged.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fascinating stuff. Merge away Anita, should the need arise -- I can rarely remember if a topic has been discussed on another thread!
Society Member