Inspiration for Kirrin Bay, Island and Castle?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
martin

Inspiration for Kirrin Bay, Island and Castle?

Post by martin »

Hi all. New here can anyone help? I am reading the famous five to my children along with malory towers and loads of others. My children wnat to know where Kirran bay/island is supposed to be? Does it exist in another name etc...Look forward to any replies.

Thanks

Martin
noddy13

Post by noddy13 »

Hi Martin.. according to enidblyton.net, and our very own Keith Robinson, who wouldnt mind I hope me quoting from his wisdom so that I can spread his knowledge far and wide ... this is what he says..

this is a Quote......

" Everyone knows that Kirrin Island was based on Corfe Castle on the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset. Actually, technically speaking it's not an isle but a peninsula, and doesn't come close to resembling an island of any sort. But Enid Blyton, who was known to visit the area frequently, must have stared at that impressive castle ruin and let her imagination run wild, seeing nothing but a small lump of land sticking out the water with this castle on top. It became Kirrin Island, and has been re-created in TV shows and movies ever since"”either using an island somewhere that resembles Blyton's visualization, or by using special effects..."

Im always in awe of poeple who know so much about anything Blyton... and Keith you are one of them..anyway.. thats what you (martin) wanted I guess
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

noddy13 wrote:...Keith Robinson, who wouldnt mind I hope me quoting from his wisdom so that I can spread his knowledge far and wide...
Wisdom? Knowledge? I'm flattered, but I know very little compared to the likes of Anita Bensoussane (who seems to remember every sentence written in any Blyton book she reads) and Tony Summerfield, who's head is surely about to explode with all the facts and figures knocking about in his brain. :shock:

But thanks for the compliments anyway! And Martin, further to my blurb about Kirrin Island, on that same page are a few photos of Corfe Castle where I've extracted it from its little hill and placed it on water, as Enid Blyton probably would have done if she'd had a computer with Photoshop installed on it. Imagine -- "Here, Eileen (Soper), here's what I have in mind for the illustrations and front cover of Five On a Treasure Island."

http://www.enidblyton.net/famous-five/c ... sland.html

And Viv of Ginger Pop (a member of these forums) is probably the best source of knowledge on all things do with Corfe Castle, because she has a shop right at its foot. Definitely check out her website:

http://www.gingerpop.co.uk/
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Kirrin Island

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Hi Martin

Corfe Castle is the inspiration for Kirrin Castle, but the island is one of the Channel Islands that Enid saw on her first honeymoon. Remember - the Island is rocky causing shipwrecks, and most certainly is not Brownsea in Poole Harbour, surrounded by sand banks.

Yesterday driving into work I saw a large balloon in amongst the ruins of the castle. I say large; it was in size somewhere between the hot air balloons used variously by Richard Branson & Pooh Bear! Anyway, apparently they had attached a fancy camera to the bottom of it and were busy taking pictures of the cracking castle masonary!

I hope the top of the castle will be open again soon, though there may be some costly restoration in the offing.

If anyone has some suggestions for hymns that could be sung during a Malory Towers assembly I'm still open to suggestions...

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Viv, it's interesting to read about Kirrin Island being one of the channel islands - I didn't know that, although it's not hard to believe. But which one? Do you know? Do you have any pictures?

The 90s TV show uses a different island to that of the 70s TV show, but I gather the castle or island (or both) were computer generated:

http://www.btinternet.com/~ajarvis/blyt ... sland2.jpg

I wonder if there's ANY small island like this in existence, just off the coast, with a castle on top? And if so, is it owned by a young tomboy girl whose father is a clever scientist...?
noddy13

Post by noddy13 »

Hi Keith, Viv and others,

If we could really identify the island, do you think its remotely possible that we could perhaps have a very special society day there..? perhaps next year's meet or even 2 years hence..? Perhaps, in the broader scheme of things, every alternate venue at a place where Enid took her inspiration from.!
(I wonder where she would have put Toyland!).

. But seriously, it would be one step closer to making our meetings achieve even more in terms of discovery! Tony, George..Anita....your comments..please..?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

If only travelling were free, I'd love it! (I realise that I'm saying this to someone who is already coming all the way from India for the Enid Blyton Day in Twyford 8).) How I'd look forward to sailing through the Scottish islands one year, or going caving in a remote valley in Austria. (Looks as if the Enid Blyton Day would have to become an Enid Blyton Week!) As for climbing the Faraway Tree... 8). Don't know what the book-sellers would think about having to transport all their stock with them, though :lol:! And would the caterers mind having to fry eggs over a camp-fire?!

Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!

Anita
noddy13

Kirrin Island again

Post by noddy13 »

Yes, yes, yes and yes ! Anita, may all your travel plans come true. Well, t'was just a romantic notion anyway.. and yet... isnt EB all about fairy tales..? 2008..? Her 40th anniv..? Something to work towards to.? Why not start with Kirrin Island .. since its been under quite some discussion lately..? I feel like Lal, the little Indian laddie in Children of other Lands.. but I bet Lal never had this much fun..!

Cheers
Moonraker

Re: Kirrin Island again

Post by Moonraker »

noddy13 wrote:Why not start with Kirrin Island .. since its been under quite some discussion lately..?

Do you really think that George would let us all stay on her island? :?
Society Member
noddy13

Re: Kirrin Island again

Post by noddy13 »

moonraker wrote:
noddy13 wrote:Why not start with Kirrin Island .. since its been under quite some discussion lately..?

Do you really think that George would let us all stay on her island? :?

Moonraker...Can she refuse the soulful glances of a 1000 eyes, the weight of 500 hearts, the check in baggage of Ali and myself from across the seas..? (ok not sure about the latter...)

Can u george..? CAN YOU..?
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Kirrin Castle

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

The rulers of this particular roost are definately the Ravens that have nested at the top of the tower for the second year running (Blyton's jackdaws actually nest nearer the bottom...)

Today the second pair of fledglings flew the nest. They are really big birds, and can be clearly seen in profile on top of the tower even 1/3 mile away. These two found that their castle home had now become one huge raven climbing frame; but one they really weren't sure of. I watched one walk the length of the tower, with wings outstretched, gingerly putting one foot in front of another, trying hard to balance.

Of course, in the nest they can no more practice walking than flying, and to take your first steps at the very top of the castle must take some courage. OK, you've got wings, but as yet they are still very much an unknown quantity!

Over on East Hill a family of buzzards were just drifting of the updraft, sometimes truly hovering like kestrals.

Yours ornithologically

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
cherryaimless

On a similar theme....

Post by cherryaimless »

I am staying in East Sussex at the moment, and I have a notion that there is a connection with Pevensey Bay other than where William the Conquerer famously fell over....an Enid Blyton connection...
Any ideas???
Half Term came and went...
Islander
Favourite book/series: The Ship of Adventure / Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Kirrin Island

Post by Islander »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:
Corfe Castle is the inspiration for Kirrin Castle, but the island is one of the Channel Islands that Enid saw on her first honeymoon. Remember - the Island is rocky causing shipwrecks, and most certainly is not Brownsea in Poole Harbour, surrounded by sand banks.

At a guess I would say that the island of Lihou could quite possibly be the Channel Island that Kirren Island was based on

http://www.guernsey-press.com/GP_on_lin ... 238973.jpg

Other possibilities could be Brecqhou (also spelt Brechou and now owned by the Barclays brothers who ironically built a modern castle on the island!) or Jethou. Lihou though has advantage of being just off the coast of Guernsey while the other two are off the coast of Sark. EB would probably have had her honeymoon in Guernsey and is she would have visited Sark it would only have been on a day trip (at a guess).

I may be barking up the wrong tree of course - it wouldn't be the first time!!
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

I was waiting for you to come back on this Islander, after your hint in another thread.

So does anyone have any bright ideas how we could narrow the options down further?

Was it Guernsey that Enid visited on her first honeymoon?

The names suggested by Islander don't exactly trip off the tongue - so I can well imagine Enid saying "it was one of the Channel islands" because she couldn't remember the exact name.
Islander
Favourite book/series: The Ship of Adventure / Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Islander »

Yes sorry for the delay Viking Star!

If it would have been Sark or Herm I guess she would have remembered the names, and they would be too big anyway for Kirrin. The only possibilities off Jersey are the Ecrehous and the Minquiers, both of which are too far off the coast of Jersey to really spark anyone's imagination.

That leaves the three I mentioned. Lihou being just off the coast of Guernsey would be my favourite. Maybe EB stayed on the coast where the island is and saw it every day? The other 2 are off the coast of Sark, and even though they can be seen from Guernsey (I think), they wouldn't stand out.