What was the first Blyton book you read?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

What was the first Blyton book you read?

Post by Moose »

Inspired by Melanie's post below I thought we could all say which was the first Blyton book we read :). Mine was Second Form at St Clare's when I was about six, maybe seven. I dunno why my mum bought me the Second Form one first - maybe she couldn't get the first one! I remember complaining that it wasn't the first in the series but she said I would enjoy it anyway and of course, she was right.

Oddly enough, The Twins at St Clare's was in fact the LAST book in the series that I read..
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

The Mystery of the Strange Messages....great stuff. BTW - you abuse g. pigs?!

Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

All the time. I'm a bad, bad person :twisted:

I can't remember which of the Mystery books I read first, but they were among my top favourites as a kid.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

That's a really tough question. I think my mum probably read The Enchanted Wood to me when I was very young, and it may well have been the first Enid Blyton book I read on my own.
I read so many of them as a child that I'm not really sure which one came first :?:
PeterPan

Post subject: Re: What was the first Blyton book you read?

Post by PeterPan »

Five go adventuring again!!! :shock:
Sooty
Favourite character: George

Post by Sooty »

Five On a Secret Trail.
melanie

Post by melanie »

hmmm cant really remember my first. I remember reading Brownie Tales, my favorite ones were the Famous Five though. I couldnt get enough of them
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Not sure, tbh. I remember getting that Fives Omnibus with Smugglers Top, the second MT and The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat and Tally-Ho when I was around 5. Ring O'Bells a little later. So it was probably one of those!

*Edit* I have vague memories of a library book that I read before then, before I really had heard of Enid or realised she wrote series, which I now suspect was one of the Secrets series, possible Spiggy Holes. So it may have been that!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

One of my relatives bought me Mr. Pink-Whistle's Party when I was about four and a half. That was my first Enid Blyton book and I remember reading it out in the garden. I had no idea who Enid Blyton was back then and I didn't give a thought to who had written the stories, though I had a vague impression that the person "narrating" them resembled the picture of Mr. Pink-Whistle on the front cover, cheery and rosy-cheeked (1970s Dean&Son edition).

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
arky72

Post by arky72 »

Mum said I learnt to read using Noddy, so I guess that was the first Blyton I read!
Procrastinate now, don't put it off.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The first Blyton book that I read was The Sea of Adventure. I was about 7 years old and I remember being terrified in one of the early chapters that someone was creeping about the garden at night and I kept breaking off to look through my own bedroom curtains!

I can equate with one of our newer members Julian Dick in another thread as I also didn't read my first Famous Five book until I was over 50!!
Sooty
Favourite character: George

Post by Sooty »

Tony Summerfield wrote:The first Blyton book that I read was The Sea of Adventure. I was about 7 years old and I remember being terrified in one of the early chapters that someone was creeping about the garden at night and I kept breaking off to look through my own bedroom curtains!
Funny you should write that, because the scene where Anne and George see a man at the window in Secret Trail scared me too. I had to hide under my quilt. :lol:
dsr

Post by dsr »

Mr. Pink-Whistle Interferes is the first one I remember, though I suspect there must have been others before that. I read it in the Christmas present room on Christmas Eve - all the presents were set out already, and we children were all banned - for some reason that present wasn't wrapped, so when I went in for a sneaky peek I stayed there and read it! I would only have been 5 or 6.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Not sure but i think it would have been some of the Purnell Sunshine Library short story collections. The first novel I read was also The Sea of Adventure. From there I worked backwards through Valley, Castle and Island before righting myself and continuing in order from Mountain.

As regards the Famous Five and the find outers and the Secrets etc The order in which I read them is lost in the mists of time unfortunately.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'm pretty sure it was The Wishing Chair Again, which has remained a firm favourite ever since. Of the books for older children, it was The Valley of Adventure - which I think is one of the most grown up books she's ever done.

I remember being rather shocked when I discovered that Noddy - a television puppet and comic book character I wasn't interested in had been written by the same person!